Sunscreen restrictions???

Okgladgal

There's a discussion on the FOS Facebook page this morning about islands prohibiting certain types of sunscreen because of damage to the coral reefs. Any truth to this and how in the world would islands enforce this? 

Edited to include: I found an article on CC explaining it a bit further. It looks like most of the changes will take place in 2020 & 2021 for Hawaii, Key West, STT, Cozumel, Bonaire & Palau. Most places will not be able to sell it.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4350&fbclid=IwAR3VHLJijx1orwx3tZosAdHT1JNfowzv9ZqeIBvA2MimCoZbHzdmNc7zfV0

Edited by Okgladgal
Found more info

53 minutes ago, Okgladgal said:

There's a discussion on the FOS Facebook page this morning about islands prohibiting certain types of sunscreen because of damage to the coral reefs. Any truth to this and how in the world would islands enforce this? 

Edited to include: I found an article on CC explaining it a bit further. It looks like most of the changes will take place in 2020 & 2021 for Hawaii, Key West, STT, Cozumel, Bonaire & Palau. Most places will not be able to sell it.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4350&fbclid=IwAR3VHLJijx1orwx3tZosAdHT1JNfowzv9ZqeIBvA2MimCoZbHzdmNc7zfV0

On our last cruise in September 2019, our excursions for Mexico said we needed the environmentally friendly sunscreen, which we purchased on Amazon - more expensive than conventional sun block (a small tube at about $20 for 3 fl oz; Steam2Sea).

At Roatan (Maya Key), I asked our host if it mattered which sunscreen we used (due to the reef system), and any sunscreen was OK at that site.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Given a choice of using environmentally friendly sunscreen I cannot imagine using something that’s not environmentally friendly.  Even if the rules don’t change for a year, the animals are still there.  

I agree. However, I'm not planning any excursions in the water. Just trying to prevent sunburn while on the islands. 

Side topic... I wish they would ban the aerosol sunscreens on the ship. Not only does a good portion of the product fly on to other people, it makes for a slippery surface on the decks. Many catamaran excursions have ban the use of the aerosol products to avoid slips and falls. 

4 hours ago, teddy said:

Hawaii recently banned sunscreens with certain chemicals (starting in 2021).  Here's a link to some info.  https://www.hawaii.com/blog/reef-safe-sunscreen/

I followed the guidelines and bought a sunscreen that met that criteria.  

Same. Wasn't too hard - start with the zinc oxide sunscreens and check the other ingredients to make sure its reef safe. 

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

Side topic... I wish they would ban the aerosol sunscreens on the ship. Not only does a good portion of the product fly on to other people, it makes for a slippery surface on the decks. Many catamaran excursions have ban the use of the aerosol products to avoid slips and falls. 

I wish they would ban aerosol sunscreens full stop.

I do use a non-aerosol spray that works quite well, probably because it's non-continuous and you aren't meant to hold it 2 feet away from you when spraying.