Coronavirus and cruise from Shanghai

Diamond Princess has thus far had 10 positive Coronavirus cases (possibly more coming). Every passenger will be confined to their staterooms for 14 days. Yikes!!!

Check out this guys Facebook page, he's currently onboard. 

https://www.facebook.com/david.abel.75

Remember, the original man who had the virus isn't even on this sailing, he got off the ship on Jan 25th and didn't even start feeling sick till the 30th. 5 days after getting off the diamond princess. And yet currently outbreak on the ship. This is pretty worrisome! The crew also mentioned the food onboard could possibly contain the virus, if that's the case, god help all 3000+ of those passengers. 

47 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Diamond Princess has thus far had 10 positive Coronavirus cases (possibly more coming). Every passenger will be confined to their staterooms for 14 days. Yikes!!!

Check out this guys Facebook page, he's currently onboard. 

https://www.facebook.com/david.abel.75

Remember, the original man who had the virus isn't even on this sailing, he got off the ship on Jan 25th and didn't even start feeling sick till the 30th. 5 days after getting off the diamond princess. And yet currently outbreak on the ship. This is pretty worrisome! The crew also mentioned the food onboard could possibly contain the virus, if that's the case, god help all 3000+ of those passengers. 

Not an easy situation.

I believe they will find that one of the other passengers that are on the current sail had it and it's started by the passenger from the previous sail.

Regarding that the food is infected , I find it hard to believe but who knows . Hope everything will be OK there and everyone will fully recover.

38 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Also remember that the crew will be the same from cruise-to-cruise, so it is possible to be spread by crewmembers.

Yes it might be  the case here. Crew members are rotating all the time so every week almost you new cruise members on the ship . Also it might be people that were infected before . It will be a good test case to see the infection  rate in 14 days ...

For now they are getting the food delivered and also per some passengers (they got free internet and phone calls) they were asked if they need any medication (there are many seniors on this cruise). The cruise itself was 14 days.

I think after this ship and the one that is being hold in Hong Kong all the cruise ships will cancel Asian cruises for the next few weeks. 

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

14 days confined to quarters.  OMG what a mess !

Well another good reason to always book room with balcony  ...  
Oh and I wonder if they will get extra points for the extra nights ... 
I do hope they will be able to release them sooner and no new cases will found 

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

As of now it seems more plausible that this was just a typo by the person whose responsible to enter these figures. I saw this on other forums.

The current JHCSSE count on infections is 24,613.

Now you're putting this tencent screenshot with 24,589 in the deaths column without considering the gap between the two is just 24? Seems pretty obvious to me that the 'infection' colum and the 'death' column have just been mixed up.

On 2nd Feb* there were a total of 152,700 people in quarantine. I'd throw in a guess this is the number that's been mixed up into the 'infected' column.

There's a lot of data floating around right now so it's very likely someone just mixed up some numbers.

Do you really think there could be almost 25,000 deaths in China but only 2 deaths outside China?

18 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Do you really think there could be almost 25,000 deaths in China but only 2 deaths outside China?

I'm not in any position to say with certainty, either way...just sharing a report that's closer to the epicenter of the situation. This report seems to verify or come much closer to other sources that I have read, from information leaking out; and, in conjunction with numerous of adjacent stories that is being reported around this circumstance.

Dear Guest,

We’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard Spectrum of the Seas next month!

Last week, we implemented a new travel regulation related to the coronavirus, which we shared with you recently. We understand that this created some confusion since your sailing differs, as it sails out of mainland China, requiring travel there. So by default, creating a scenario where you would be denied boarding because of our restriction on travel through China. Sorry, that was not our intention. That email was intended for rest of the fleet.

Unlike our sailings all over the world, where the situation is a bit more straight forward, we are working through the impact to our Chinese sailings very differently and we are making decisions 2 weeks in advance of each sailing. Currently, there are no changes to your sailing and our hope is that this virus begins to diminish and we can lift our travel regulations before your departure.

Again, if for any reason we must make a change to your itinerary and/or our travel regulation must remain in place, for your safety and wellbeing, we will contact you and your Travel Advisor at least 2 weeks prior to your sail date with all of the details.

We are sorry to implement such a conservative stance, but we take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. And we promise to keep you posted every step of the way.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is their plan with Spectrum after offering these two complimentary cruises in Australia?

Currently the ship is sitting off the coast of Australia until the 29th Feb. They must be losing a lot of money. I wonder if they will follow Princess who have cancelled their entire season and also sent Sapphire Princess to Australia.

53 minutes ago, mattymay said:

So what is their plan with Spectrum after offering these two complimentary cruises in Australia?

Currently the ship is sitting off the coast of Australia until the 29th Feb. They must be losing a lot of money. I wonder if they will follow Princess who have cancelled their entire season and also sent Sapphire Princess to Australia.

No one knows.  

Offering free cruises is one thing as people will hardly be critical of anything.  Revenue cruises outside of Asia is a different story.  That ship is geared to China in so many ways I'm curious how quickly they can adapt it to work outside of China to meet the expectations for other regions.  I can just see the posts on social media... "No Diamond Lounge?  What?"

I'd love to see something bookable in April but I'm sure Royal just wants to get back to the originally planned schedule ASAP.  

On 1/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, Ken23 said:

I am also on the March 5th sailing.

I would think in the next few days Royal will likely make some changes...my guess is they change the home port away from Shanghai for a few weeks or more.

@AnnetteJackson is it too early to have @michelle asking Royal to change my March 5th sailing to something else?

Glad we got you all worked out Ken- thanks for trusting us at MEI-Travel to help you out

7 hours ago, twangster said:

No one knows.  

Offering free cruises is one thing as people will hardly be critical of anything.  Revenue cruises outside of Asia is a different story.  That ship is geared to China in so many ways I'm curious how quickly they can adapt it to work outside of China to meet the expectations for other regions.  I can just see the posts on social media... "No Diamond Lounge?  What?"

I'd love to see something bookable in April but I'm sure Royal just wants to get back to the originally planned schedule ASAP.  

Will be interesting that's for sure. Given they are denying boarding to anyone who has been to China or come in contact with someone who has been it seems unlikely that it would be back there anytime soon.

US State Department has some thoughts on cruising in Asia and beyond.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

U.S. citizens should reconsider travel by cruise ship to or within Asia.  U.S. citizens planning travel by cruise ship elsewhere should be aware that, due to the current public health situation, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures in order to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19. This is a dynamic situation and U.S. citizens traveling by ship may be impacted by travel restrictions affecting their itineraries or ability to disembark, or may be subject to quarantine procedures implemented by the local authorities.  While the U.S. government has successfully evacuated hundreds of our citizens in the previous weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities. U.S. citizens should evaluate the risks associated with choosing to remain in an area that may be subject to quarantine and take the appropriate proactive measures. Passengers who plan to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information on the current rules and restrictions, and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/cruise-ship-asia.