Coronavirus and cruise from Shanghai

Cruise from Shanghai and coronavirus

Booked for March 5th cruise from Shanghai to Japan for 8 nights. Got many doubts about going to Shanghai and on Spectrum of the Seas. Worried about bad news from China. There would be more than several thousand passengers from different regions of China on board. Any advice or opinion about the situation ? If cancelled within next five days still possible to get 25 percent back. Or risk and go? 

we are on Quantum on 15 FEB for the 9-nighter, Singapore to Hong Hong.  I'm watching the situation closely.

The ship calls at one port in Thailand, and 3 ports in Vietnam.  I'm more interested in how various nations react (or over-react, as it were), and the possibility that Thailand or Vietnam would refuse docking.  But I feel this is likely only if there is some outbreak onboard the vessel, and based on what I have seen about Corona Virus, this would be hard to ascertain.  The symptoms are similar to the common cold.  Would they even have the ability to test for Corona Virus onboard and how long would it take to get those results back?  This isn't like getting a rapid-strep test done for strep throat, where you know in an hour if you have an infection.  

At this point, I don't have plans to cancel and I'm not overly concerned about the situation, but if we started getting itinerary changes & associated waivers for the sailing, I may entertain using the waiver to take advantage of a later sailing somewhere else.  

Cruise operators have cancelled trips from ports in China and offer full refunds.

Passengers are also able to choose other dates this year as an alternative, Costa Cruises has announced.

Royal Caribbean International is offering free cancellations for the Spectrum of the Seas scheduled to set sail on Monday from Shanghai. The five-day cruise involves a stop in Okinawa, Japan. Passengers may also change their dates, Royal Caribbean International said.

The operator will not allow people who live in Hubei Province, or have visited Hubei in the 15 days before departure, aboard.

Angry passengers had demanded the cancellation of a Spectrum of the Seas trip which departed Wusongkou cruise liner terminal on Thursday afternoon, but the ship set sail as scheduled.

Source: SHINE   Editor: Yang Meiping

14 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

we are on Quantum on 15 FEB for the 9-nighter, Singapore to Hong Hong.  I'm watching the situation closely.

The ship calls at one port in Thailand, and 3 ports in Vietnam.  I'm more interested in how various nations react (or over-react, as it were), and the possibility that Thailand or Vietnam would refuse docking.  But I feel this is likely only if there is some outbreak onboard the vessel, and based on what I have seen about Corona Virus, this would be hard to ascertain.  The symptoms are similar to the common cold.  Would they even have the ability to test for Corona Virus onboard and how long would it take to get those results back?  This isn't like getting a rapid-strep test done for strep throat, where you know in an hour if you have an infection.  

At this point, I don't have plans to cancel and I'm not overly concerned about the situation, but if we started getting itinerary changes & associated waivers for the sailing, I may entertain using the waiver to take advantage of a later sailing somewhere else.  

We're also booked on this cruise; made our booking back last May.    I wish RCCL will update us immediately since the itinerary incudes Hong Kong which has just declared a state of emergency.  I'd think that with the SOE the cruise will at least be redirected elsewhere and passengers would be updated ASAP so they can make proper arrangements.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:45 AM, icmartin777 said:

We're also booked on this cruise; made our booking back last May.    I wish RCCL will update us immediately since the itinerary incudes Hong Kong which has just declared a state of emergency.  I'd think that with the SOE the cruise will at least be redirected elsewhere and passengers would be updated ASAP so they can make proper arrangements.

CruiseFever.com and other sites are now reporting that the Jan 27th sailing of Spectrum o/t Seas (departing Shanghai) has been cancelled over the Corona Virus concerns.  No mention of Quantum sailings, which embark from other ports in the region, but serve basically the same clientele.  

I think, logistically speaking, its easier to cancel a 4 or 5 night sailing that begins and ends in Shanghai, instead of our 9-night one-way sailing.  We begin in SIN and end in HKG.  The next cruise is the same thing in reverse; 9 nights beginning in HKG and ending back in SIN.  If they scrapped ours, they'd probably have to scrap the return also, so they'd be refunding 2 cruises worth of passenger fares (for 18 nights).  I'm not surprised if Royal waits a bit longer to pass judgement on what happens to those sailings.  

But I don't really think I have more or less chance of getting sick on Quantum than I would on Spectrum, JUST BECAUSE Spectrum departs from a mainland Chinese port.  Singapore already has reported cases of the virus, too.  It's also unclear how long any Wuhan / Hubei province-based passengers are going to be embargoed from sailings on Royal ships.  It can't be indefinitely. 

Royal Caribbean International has cancelled Spectrum of the Seas’ sailing departing from Shanghai on Monday (January 27) amid concerns over the Chinese coronavirus outbreak.

The Quantum-Ultra class ship was due to sail a four-day Best of Okinawa cruise, but the line has decided to suspend the voyage and is offering affected passengers “full refunds for the cancellation”.

On Friday, Royal said passengers who had travelled through or were from the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus first broke out, would not be allowed to board its ships.

However, the line has now adopted a tougher stance in a bid to protect passengers.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/356154/royal-caribbean-cancels-sailing-over-coronavirus-fears

On 1/25/2020 at 12:42 AM, Andrew S. said:

Booked for March 5th cruise from Shanghai to Japan for 8 nights. Got many doubts about going to Shanghai and on Spectrum of the Seas. Worried about bad news from China. There would be more than several thousand passengers from different regions of China on board. Any advice or opinion about the situation ? If cancelled within next five days still possible to get 25 percent back. Or risk and go? 

I am trying to cancel my 13 February cruise with hopefully a full refund but won’t know that for sure until tomorrow. RCL’s policy states that “The health and safety of our passengers and crew is our primary objective”. In this circumstance I fear my health is at enormous risk with this outbreak.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, Andrew S. said:

I am also on the March 5th sailing.

I would think in the next few days Royal will likely make some changes...my guess is they change the home port away from Shanghai for a few weeks or more.

@AnnetteJackson is it too early to have @michelle asking Royal to change my March 5th sailing to something else?

25 minutes ago, Ken23 said:

I would think in the next few days Royal will likely make some changes...my guess is they change the home port away from Shanghai for a few weeks or more.

@AnnetteJackson is it too early to have @michelle asking Royal to change my March 5th sailing to something else?

Dear Ken23, 

If you have new information please let me know. And thanks in advance.

I doubt RCI will relocate the ship. It houses several thousand guests and more than 90 percent of them are Chinese. My guess is they will wait till the end of February to see the development of the situation . Last week I sent a message to RCI but still no answer. They have some 7 cruises from Shanghai in February. Let us see what happens to them. 

5 hours ago, Jane Hindry said:

Also booked on the Quantum cruise but with two nights previous in Siem Reap and three nights at the end in Hong Kong. Now getting very concerned as things seem to be escalating. Just hope the company doesn’t put profit before lives. 

Welcome to the forum!

300,000 people die of influenza every year and nobody bats an eyelash.  I'm keeping this all in perspective.

3 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Welcome to the forum!

300,000 people die of influenza every year and nobody bats an eyelash.  I'm keeping this all in perspective.

By 31.1.20 I have to pay for the cruise leaving Singapore for Beijing on 30.4.20. With QUANTOM.
I am debating whether to pay or cancel. Anyone could advise me?

1 hour ago, chaim said:

By 31.1.20 I have to pay for the cruise leaving Singapore for Beijing on 30.4.20. With QUANTOM.
I am debating whether to pay or cancel. Anyone could advise me?

I'm going on the same cruise and I have to pay by 15.2.20. There are still 3 month until the sailing date so I'm hopping that the situation will be back to normal until then and that the cruise will be cancel with full refund if that's not the case.

1 hour ago, chaim said:

The receipt I received when I placed an order was written that the balance must be paid by 31.1.20.
90 days before sailing.
How come you have to pay by 15.2.20? Are you sure ?

That's the information that I see when I try to pay the remaining balance on the website.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/USA/en/cruise-reservation

I actually nerver received an e-mail saying when I must pay the remaining balance. I just received a prepayment receipt 

16 minutes ago, guill06 said:

That's the information that I see when I try to pay the remaining balance on the website.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/USA/en/cruise-reservation

I actually nerver received an e-mail saying when I must pay the remaining balance. I just received a prepayment receipt 

In the website https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/final-payment-schedule-policy 

I found the article below. My cruise from Singapore to Beijing is 12 days. Maybe yours is  less than 5 days and therefore you have to pay at 15/2/20

QWhen is the final payment for my cruise vacation due?
AFinal payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 75 days prior to the sailing date for 1 - 4 night cruise vacations and 90 days prior to the sailing date for 5-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually have access to your cruise documents 30 days prior to your sailing as long as your reservation is finalized. 

22 minutes ago, chaim said:

In the website https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/final-payment-schedule-policy 

I found the article below. My cruise from Singapore to Beijing is 12 days. Maybe yours is  less than 5 days and therefore you have to pay at 15/2/20

QWhen is the final payment for my cruise vacation due?
AFinal payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 75 days prior to the sailing date for 1 - 4 night cruise vacations and 90 days prior to the sailing date for 5-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually have access to your cruise documents 30 days prior to your sailing as long as your reservation is finalized. 

Like I said it's the same cruise, so a 12 night cruise too.

I don't know what to think about it. Maybe the date indicated on the payment page is wrong. This would not be the first bug on their website. In any case I suppose that they send at least a reminder of payment shortly before the deadline. It seems to me to be the least of things.

paiementbalance.png

16 hours ago, Ken23 said:

Ken,

Many times when things are in limbo we advise that you wait until the cruise lines make a policy.  If you try to move before that you could miss out on the offerings they give to others booked on the same cruise.  It can be frustrating to wait for them to decide, but it is the best plan.

3 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

Ken,

Many times when things are in limbo we advise that you wait until the cruise lines make a policy.  If you try to move before that you could miss out on the offerings they give to others booked on the same cruise.  It can be frustrating to wait for them to decide, but it is the best plan.

Thanks...I will TRY to be patient.

3 hours ago, Oliver said:

I guess the cruise lines have to do what they feel is best based on health recommendations and of course public relations. I find it interesting that even though this virus gets so much attention, you are much more likely to die of the flu and many people don’t even get the flu vaccine every year.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ an average of 300,000 people die of the flu yearly and nobody bats an eyelash.

Like anyone else  I suggest to wait for RC to cancel so you will get your money back. It might be that in a month or two the outbreak will end.

If I was RC CEO I would send the ship to another route if I can, not just to cut the lost but also to prevent from the ship to become a floating hospital ... If the outbreak will continue and hospitals will be full I would not be surprise if the Chinese authorities will start to seize cruise ships and turn them into temporary hospitals ...

Anyway I hope that the outbreak will finish soon and all the current infected people will recover soon , this is the first priority , the rest is first world issues. 

18 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

You should have an invoice to refer to which will state the final payment date. If you book through Royal, they often don't send it, but if you call them they will email you one.

Hi,

My invoice says: "Remaining balance due on 31 January 2020".
If I do not pay on 31.1.20 will RCC send an e-mail with a payment request or cancel my order without warning?
What do you think ?

2 hours ago, chaim said:

If I do not pay on 31.1.20 will RCC send an e-mail with a payment request or cancel my order without warning?
What do you think ?

I don't think Royal usually sends out reminder emails. It's the responsibility of the customer to make sure they have met the payment deadline. Set a reminder on your phone for a day or two before the due date.

2 hours ago, chaim said:

Hi,

What do you think ?

I wouldn't even chance it and I would make sure it is paid in full a day early.  

On 1/28/2020 at 9:34 AM, chaim said:

Hi,

What do you think ?

I've heard of people's cruises being canceled if final payment isn't received by final payment date.  I write them all on a calendar with a two-week reminder notification so I can't forget.  Although my TA would remind me, Royal wouldn't.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 12:17 AM, DawnMarriott said:

RCL’s policy states that “The health and safety of our passengers and crew is our primary objective”. In this circumstance I fear my health is at enormous risk with this outbreak.

Lol..no its not Royal's primary objective....I laugh at that....same BS the airlines tell you.

Primary objective is making money and as much as possible. Say it like it is.

As for people saying its no big deal and 300,00 ppl a year die from the flu...well there must be a reason why this particular outbreak is concerning? Building 2 hospitals in 2 weeks, thousands of ppl infected in a couple weeks with this strain....and it concentrated in one large area....all reasons to be concerned and not be so flippant about it...

All fun and games till it happens to you or someone you know....:35_thinking:

Wir sind auch auf der Kreuzfahrt ab Singapur nach Hongkong am 13.2.mit Quantum! Und fahren denn weiter auf die Philippinen, also 18 Nächte! Wir wollten stornieren, umbuchen oder einen Gutschein, aber Kreuzfahrten.de und Royal Caribbean sind stur, keine Chance!

In addition to the two cancelled sailings previously announced, the cruise line has cancelled an additional sailing of Spectrum of the Seas through February 8th.

"As has been widely reported, China has moved aggressively to contain the spread of the virus.  As a result of these measures, and after consultation with national and local health authorities, the company has cancelled three sailings through Feb 8th, on the high yielding Spectrum of the Seas, currently its only ship homeported in China."

Great, so my father in law whose prone to mass hysteria called me this morning asking me to cancel my back2back cruise in March on the Brilliance and Harmony due to Coronavirus scare (two sailings which has nothing to do with China). My in laws were supposed to join us on the Brilliance on 3/2, and then we would go with friends on the Harmony on 3/8. He already said they're not gonna go and insist my family cancel too, actually went as far as to calling me out saying I'm not a responsible father to my kids if I still insist on going. I tried to calm his hysteria and said it's still too early to make that kind of rash decisions. If things get worse,  Royal will cancel themselves. I hate traveling with my in laws sometimes,  this wasn't the first mass hysteria drama we had to deal with with them.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I've heard of people's cruises being canceled if final payment isn't received on or before final payment date. 

Wait, they'll cancel your cruise if you haven't paid before final payment due date? Jeez, if they (or any company) ever did that to me, I'd make sure they never got another penny out of me. 

Just now, Zacharius said:

Wait, they'll cancel your cruise if you haven't paid before final payment due date? Jeez, if they (or any company) ever did that to me, I'd make sure they never got another penny out of me. 

No, that was me posting before I was awake enough to make sense.  But they will cancel if it isn't paid by final payment date (sorry). 

59 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Great, so my father in law whose prone to mass hysteria called me this morning asking me to cancel my back2back cruise in March on the Brilliance and Harmony due to Coronavirus scare (two sailings which has nothing to do with China). My in laws were supposed to join us on the Brilliance on 3/2, and then we would go with friends on the Harmony on 3/8. He already said they're not gonna go and insist my family cancel too, actually went as far as to calling me out saying I'm not a responsible father to my kids if I still insist on going. I tried to calm his hysteria and said it's still too early to make that kind of rash decisions. If things get worse,  Royal will cancel themselves. I hate traveling with my in laws sometimes,  this wasn't the first mass hysteria drama we had to deal with with them.

I'm a fairly regular traveler to China (several times each year) and was last there in early December. Next trip is to Changsha, Hunan in early March...I haven't cancelled yet. No point to, we have no idea what the next five weeks will bring. Knowing that China under-reports this kind of stuff, I'm guessing I won't go, but I certainly am not making any decisions this far in advance. We could all be dead by then, or we could have all forgotten it even happened. 

I don't know anything about your father-in-law, but based on the vast majority of people freaking out from this, I do have one recommendation - tell him to turn off the network news ?