Book a room above a bar/lounge? Bad idea? Or no biggie?

DetroitLad

Hi,

I booked a cruise today with RCCL on their Jewel of the Seas for the Baltic Sea cruising in July.   Am not a veteran cruise person.  The RCCL rep seemed shocked to find a 7th deck room open way back in the aft as she insisted they always go early.  The four neighboring rooms in the aft were indeed booked.  All five rooms are 4B/"Spacious Ocean View Room" and it has nice sized balcony.

One concern: It lies directly above the Congo Room which lies on the sixth deck.  Little worried about the noise coming from there.  Should I be?

As a general rule, it's recommended to avoid booking a cabin that has a public space like a pool area, bar, dance club, or restaurant directly above/below because of noise bleed. That said, I haven't sailed Jewel and can't comment on what the noise level might be like. If it serves as a dance club and not just a bar, the noise level could be horrible (thumping bass and general music bleed-through). Even if there isn't a dance floor, many of the bar areas have live performers entertaining at night. That won't be as noisy, and they tend to do short 45-minute sets with 15 minute breaks; but might still be an issue.

Of course, if you're like my daughter and can sleep through an atomic bomb blast, then it probably won't be an issue at all. ? 

Hopefully someone here has sailed Jewel recently and can speak to what that space is like at night.

11 hours ago, DetroitLad said:

Hi,

I booked a cruise today with RCCL on their Jewel of the Seas for the Baltic Sea cruising in July.   Am not a veteran cruise person.  The RCCL rep seemed shocked to find a 7th deck room open way back in the aft as she insisted they always go early.  The four neighboring rooms in the aft were indeed booked.  All five rooms are 4B/"Spacious Ocean View Room" and it has nice sized balcony.

One concern: It lies directly above the Congo Room which lies on the sixth deck.  Little worried about the noise coming from there.  Should I be?

I have stayed in 7174 and is was quite. I would book ASAP.

Depends on what type of space it is and the activity.

I have been above/below restaurant/bar spaces and  maybe you can hear a little bit of talking/chair scraping type stuff but no big deal.

I have also been above/below a nightclub space and that was a nightmare in one case and a non-event in the other. 

My recommendation would be stay away from an "entertainment" venue that might have loud music playing but other spaces should be fine.

“My recommendation would be stay away from an "entertainment" venue that might have loud music playing but other spaces should be fine.“

Excellent advice.  Thanks all.

Does anyone know about what type of music comes from The Congo Room on Jewel of the Seas.  This is the lounge on all four of RCL’s Radiance class ships I believe.  RCL’s agents don’t seem to know. 

@DetroitLad

The Europe cruises are usually port intensive so people tend not to be up late.  We did a 12 night med cruise on Vision of the Seas and most of the night lfe happened in aft part of the ship.  Most nights by 11 there is no one around unless the following day was a sea day there were a few people up later.

The Congo room and library are pretty quite places I do t think you will any issues there.