Discounts on Deluxe Drink Package

I've been looking at old Compass's from Oasis. They run a buy one get one 50% off it seems on first day. Does anyone know what the cost is on the 1st package and, if you purchased a package before the cruise, can you cancel and get the deal (if it's a savings)? Looks like now they have a $4 off per day but wonder if they also offer and increased discount before sales end on Jan 30?

The price varies each sailing so there isn't any way to know what the first package will cost, but Royal applies a 25% discount to each package. Normally the prices on-board are higher and an on-board sale isn't guaranteed. At best, the on-board buy one get one half off will be the same price as a similar sale if you pre-book. The best advice you will hear is pre-book and keep an eye out for cruise planner sales (you might even see a 30% off sale which is better than the buy one get one 1/2 off) and you can cancel and re-purchase.

If you'd like to know what the current full price is for your sailing, login to the Cruise Planner and check what the price & sale is and do some simple math.

Example: $65 at 20% off. $65 (sale price) / .80 (difference between percent and 100) = $81.25 is the full price. Take that with a grain of salt because for previous sailings I have calcuated the base price for 20%, buy one get one half off, & 30% and all had a slightly different base price. I call it Royal's Rounding. ?

As far as canceling on-board, not entirely sure, my guess is you would have beat the sale anyway pre-purchase, but someone will chime in with a direct answer. 

14 hours ago, Matt said:

That's never the case. It always cheaper to book the drink package before the cruise.

Is that by ship?  Somebody posted a flyer on a forum yesterday from the BOGO offer they saw when they got on the ship which took the price considerably lower than I ever saw it on the Cruise Planner for our cruise (I check a lot too).  However, the flyer they showed was not from the ship I sailed on. 

My question is....is it always cheaper to purchase on the Cruise Planner for your sailing, or is there a chance you could see it on board for cheaper (i.e. would somebody from the sailing for the flyer that was shown have gotten an even better deal than that on the Cruise Planner)?

(Sorry, this is confusing to read...I hope you can make sense out of it.)

1 hour ago, Buzzard05 said:

Is that by ship?  Somebody posted a flyer on a forum yesterday from the BOGO offer they saw when they got on the ship which took the price considerably lower than I ever saw it on the Cruise Planner for our cruise (I check a lot too).  However, the flyer they showed was not from the ship I sailed on. 

Actually, Matt's comment should really be interpreted as "per ship and sailing." Royal has a revenue target for every sailing, and it varies by the sailing length, ship, number of port days vs sea days, and more. So even within the same ship you can see some big swings in price on the DBP. Smaller / older ships that haven't been AMPed tend to run lower in price, while the newest ships and ships that just got an AMP refurb are (some much) pricier.

I only have 3 cruises under my belt so far (one on Freedom, two on Anthem), but the price both before boarding and after was different for all three. I lucked out with the first two and got a 30% off sale that brought the price down to $42 / $45 per day; the most recent sailing, I guess Royal was doing well enough with their DBP sales that they never felt a need to offer 30% off until very close to sail date... and right when they did that they also jacked up the base price so much that 30% off became the same price that 25% off had been previously ($56 per day). ? 

On all three, the price on board was higher even if a BOGO50 sale was being offered.

Yes, the price varies from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.  So what someone else saw on a different ship/sailing has no bearing on what you would have paid.

.is it always cheaper to purchase on the Cruise Planner for your sailing, or is there a chance you could see it on board for cheaper

Always cheaper before the cruise.