MDR multiples...

kittysoul

Hey everyone!  I know that Matt talks a lot about ordering more than one entree in the MDR... but do a lot of people really do this?  I did not see people doing it so much when I was on Anthem last month, and so I just stuck to ordering 2 appetizers and never dared to order more than one entree!    Is it REALLY a common thing to order multiples... my next cruise on Harmony, is with my 23 yr old son who loves to eat, and I want to make sure we know ... he would love to order a lot I am sure, but I also know he would be mortified to look like a pig too... ?

I know it happens a lot on lobster night.  Folks brag about eating several of those little tails.

I've also been offered both entrees when I was indecisive between two.  Sometimes the waiters will even bring an extra one you didn't order because they really thought you should try it.  So feel no shame in asking for multiple entrees!

17 minutes ago, kontraxed said:

I would not be embarrassed to order two entrees but normally if I order any multiples - it is the appetizers.

I hear ya there!  For me, it was the appetizers that I was excited about having more of ... like a soup and a shrimp cocktail.. .usually thats how i did it.. a soup and a salady type of thing...which made sense to me... my son though, he would probably love the idea though of being able to get both the prime rib AND the mahi mahi... lol

As long as you're not being wasteful then it's not a problem at all.  We've never encountered an issue and our wait staff has often brought extra food unprompted if they think we might really like something that wasn't ordered, may bring 2 items if we were indecisive, etc. My 8 year old is a big eater and often had a 2nd appetizer or 2 entrees and the wait staff was always happy to bring it. 

Often we would order multiples and ask for the extra one be "for the table". That way everyone could try it. It is challenging to the staff when you request 1/2 portions as the food is prepared in mass and that gets confusing. It is never a problem to ask for the item to be prepared as you like it. I would urge you to be daring and try new dishes on your cruise, as they are often surprisingly good. My last piece of advice is to avoid the "clean plate club". Your much better of having a taste or two and leaving anything you don't like alone. I know it is wasteful but your waistline will thank you.   

Never be afraid to order a second entrée. My wife and I often order an extra entrée to try(share) between the two of us. On occasion I have even ordered a 2cd starter,  main or a desert to go for later that evening. I just try to let them know at ordering so that they can plan that out. Rumor has it that for formal nights with lobster, I will go surf and turf and usually ask for 3 tails?

Do you all feel this applies for both MDR and My Time? Do you think it makes a difference if you're at a table for 2 and not a shared table? I had heard this also and was hoping my husband might try something new in September but didn't get the feeling it would be ok, I kind of hinted hoping the waiter might encourage trying both entrees we'd been discussing and backed out out on asking when the waiter didn't suggest it. I wondered if it's different for MTD or at a 2 top.

3 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

Do you all feel this applies for both MDR and My Time? Do you think it makes a difference if you're at a table for 2 and not a shared table? I had heard this also and was hoping my husband might try something new in September but didn't get the feeling it would be ok, I kind of hinted hoping the waiter might encourage trying both entrees we'd been discussing and backed out out on asking when the waiter didn't suggest it. I wondered if it's different for MTD or at a 2 top.

No, Traditional or MTD would make no difference for this.  You can get as much of anything on the menu that you want in either TD or MTD.

36 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

ok thank you, I'll try to work up the gumption to ask next time ?

It is very considerate of you to not want to overburden the wait staff. Please remember that the staff derives pleasure from getting you what you want within reason. If everyone comes in and orders the same thing and they can't have a conversation about what you liked and what wasn't in your wheelhouse, that is a long boring night. Talk about what they like on the menu and be sure to try the recommendations. The best part about traditional dining is that you get to know your wait staff. I don't think I'd want to try MTD for that reason. 

32 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

It is very considerate of you to not want to overburden the wait staff. Please remember that the staff derives pleasure from getting you what you want within reason. If everyone comes in and orders the same thing and they can't have a conversation about what you liked and what wasn't in your wheelhouse, that is a long boring night. Talk about what they like on the menu and be sure to try the recommendations. The best part about traditional dining is that you get to know your wait staff. I don't think I'd want to try MTD for that reason. 

We only do MTD and we always pick the same night for the entire cruise and on the first day request the same table if we like the service. We have always had the same wait staff in MTD and they have been awesome.  It is possible to get to know your wait staff even in MTD and enjoy the same benefits you mention above. ?

To the OP, don’t be shy about ordering as much as you want. Our waiter on our last b2b cruise didn’t even bother to ask by the middle of the first week, he just brought more. 

I maxed out at three appetizers, two salads, both soups (when they still offered a hot and a cold each night), three entrees, and five desserts.  Ate every bite.

More typical for me now is two appetizers, a soup or salad, two entrees, and skip dessert because those have gone downhill in recent years.

My family and I have done that multiple times.  We sailed on Harmony in Sept and each night, I ordered 2-3 appetizers along with 1-2 entrees and 1-2 desserts. No one batted an eye. During our meal, our waiters even asked us if we wanted more! And whatever what was on the menu that we didn't order, our waiters brought to the table on their own initiative for us to sample. It's a great opportunity to explore your palette and try various foods (as long as you don't waste food). The portion sizes are on the smaller size and you can always ask for "appetizer" portions of the entrees. I especially loved ordering an extra dessert or a cheese platter to go for a late night snack later on. And if you don't finish your plate, you always have the option to take it to go. Just ask for a plate cover. MDR is a great dining experience and the service is phenomenal! I plan on doing the same thing on my next cruises on Indy and Freedom. Enjoy your cruise!