Roatan, Honduras

NEbluebird

1 hour ago, NEbluebird said:

What are some beaches you'd recommend for Roatan, Honduras?  Is there a 'must do or see'?

We liked the Maya Key excursion, which includes beaches, snorkeling (with a guide), a small zoo, buffet lunch, swimming pool, lockers/showers. gift shop, etc.  It is peaceful and less crowded than the main tourist attractions.  The key is just a short boat ride from the arrival pier, and you can return early to see other sights in Roatan.

Ive been to Tabyana Beach (which is really West Bay Beach) and its very nice. There are a few other resorts you can get a day pass for, there. Look up Mayan Princess, or Infinity Bay.  Ive been looking into Little French Key, for our upcoming cruise, and it looks fantastic with (overall) great reviews. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 10:59 PM, Hoski said:

For us a must do in Roatan was the sloths.  We went with Daniel Johnson to his place and it was great.

We are looking at doing this one.  My primary concern is getting my wife to see the sloths early, as I hear they go to sleep around 11.

I don't know if I want to do the "park only" version and get back to the port pretty early, or if I want to do the "park and Las Palmas" one where 

they promise to get you back to the port at least an hour before.  Is there a nice area for shopping at the port?

3 hours ago, Floski said:

We are looking at doing this one.  My primary concern is getting my wife to see the sloths early, as I hear they go to sleep around 11.

I don't know if I want to do the "park only" version and get back to the port pretty early, or if I want to do the "park and Las Palmas" one where 

they promise to get you back to the port at least an hour before.  Is there a nice area for shopping at the port?

When you make the reservation tell them you want to hold the sloths and want that to be a priority and they will.  We skipped the beach portion and our driver did a little extended version of the island tour that they include after the sloth park.  I got a couple of things from local vendors while waiting for our guide to take us to the sloth park but other than that we were not impressed with the shopping at the port.  We did get to go to the chocolate factory as part of the island portion.  Now it isn't a huge place but has good chocolate and a decent free tour.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Barbara T said:

We did the Gumbalimba Park in Rotan.  Was AMAZING!  We got to interact with macaws and monkeys.  We stayed behind to swim as it wasn't advertised in the booking but we brought our stuff anyone.  Had the beach to ourselves practically.  There was a guide who took us out to the reef for snorkling just for tips.  It was by far the best place we've snorkled so far!  Would 1000 percent do it again!  Saw sea turtles, eel, octopus, tons of fish.  Wish we had taken our guides card to share!

Was this a Royal excursion or one you did on your own ?

I just went to Roatan (though not with Royal . . . ?). We did Tabyana Beach in West Bay. The price was right (only about $40 per person), and the beach was great. It's more rustic than some others, but that is appealing to me personally. Snorkeling tours and gear rentals are available right there, and a short walk down the beach are places where you can rent jet skis, get a banana boat ride, book a glass bottom boat, etc. It was the best beach we went to on this cruise.