Royal Up! opinion. What would you do?

Hello everyone. We are 59 days out from our Oasis Western Caribbean sailing. We received the ever popular Royal Up! email offer today. Need an opinion here. Here's the setup: we are already in a Crown Loft Suite and snagged the DBP during the intern sale for $18/pp/pd, prepaid grats already $367, paid for All Access Ship tour @$103 x3, and UDP @$175/pp .  Crown Loft Suite already has more than enough room for myself,  DH and DS (15). Are there any reasons to move from Sky Class to Star Class when it seems (could be wrong here, that's why I'm asking), we've got what Star Class already has at a reduced rate (a la the DBP intern sale). I REALLY like the proximity of the Crown Loft Suites to CK and the suite lounge. Wish they could let us keep the location and add the Star Class amenities. I think it would actually come in at less dollars. 

Minimum bids as follows:

Star Loft Suite $800/pp X2, Aqua Theater 2bdrm $400/pp X2, Ultimate Panoramic Suite $400/ppX2, 

Edited by Baked Alaska
Added more info

14 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Hello everyone. We are 59 days out from our Oasis Western Caribbean sailing. We received the ever popular Royal Up! email offer today. Need an opinion here. Here's the setup: we are already in a Crown Loft Suite and snagged the DBP during the intern sale for $18/pp/pd, prepaid grats already $367, paid for All Access Ship tour @$103 x3, and UDP @$175/pp .  Crown Loft Suite already has more than enough room for myself,  DH and DS (15). Are there any reasons to move from Sky Class to Star Class when it seems (could be wrong here, that's why I'm asking), we've got what Star Class already has at a reduced rate (a la the DBP intern sale). I REALLY like the proximity of the Crown Loft Suites to CK and the suite lounge. Wish they could let us keep the location and add the Star Class amenities. I think it would actually come in at less dollars. 

Minimum bids as follows:

Star Loft Suite $800/pp X2, Aqua Theater 2bdrm $400/pp X2, Ultimate Panoramic Suite $400/ppX2, 

Depends if you want a Genie.

I personally would only bid for the Star Loft if I was to bid, but reading what you have already I would have no problem staying put. Do you LOVE the genie?  1,600.00 more can be allocated for so many other amazing things. Same scenario and the CL locations, yes I personally would love to stay but I would probably place the bid for the Star Loft for the excitement of the Royal Up but it really seems like you did really well in pricing so either way your sailing is going to be wonderful.  Uh, I'm probably no help here SORRY!  Good Luck!! 

I agree with Neesa.  I would not spend another dime for either the ATS or the UPS.  I would, however, for the SLS...especially since you covet the proximity to the CK.  While it seems like a lot of $$, you could try out Star Class for a very good price and see if it's something that you would ever spend a LOT of money on. IMO $1600 to move up to SC is well worth the money.

@WAAAYTOOO and @dodgestang, if I were to win the bid, would they refund the intern drink special, UDP, and tour as OBC (since we may not find out until less than 2 days prior to sailing?) I can take or leave the Genie. I do like the concierges, but I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the Genie. 

Just now, Baked Alaska said:

@WAAAYTOOO and @dodgestang, if I were to win the bid, would they refund the intern drink special, UDP, and tour as OBC (since we may not find out until less than 2 days prior to sailing?) I can take or leave the Genie. I do like the concierges, but I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the Genie. 

If your RoyalUp is within 48 hours of sailing, most likely your refunds would be in the form of OBC but you can always cash out that OBC onboard if you do not use it...so essentially, it will be a cash refund.  You would be refunded for any drinks, gratuities and/or food packages that you have already paid for.  Be aware that the tours that you would get from being Star Class is NOT the same as the All Access Tour.  If it were me, I would KEEP the AAT as it is much more comprehensive than anything you will get with Star Class.  Dan and I did an AAT years ago and we still talk about it.  You get to visit all of the areas that the standard tours take you plus the laundry room, the engine room (although you do not get to enter the engine room), some of the crew areas (we saw the crew dining room and their "party" room), the food storage areas, the garbage and recycling areas (waaay more interesting than it sounds !!), the area where they make fresh water and I can't remember where else.  We got to see the area where they store and post the ship's flags.  Some of the best money we've ever spent on a ship's excursion.  We got some aprons and bags that we use on every cruise (the bags, not the aprons !!).  We even got to visit the Captain's quarters but this was not part of the tour.  We just got lucky....

Back to the prepaids and OBC.  This is one of the areas where the Genie would be extremely valuable.  He/she will make sure that everything is properly credited.  You will not have to lift a finger or leave the couch to get this all taken care of.

5 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

Hi;

I'm new to cruising. What's a DBP and intern sale? Sounds like things I need to know for best pricing ?.

The DBP is the Deluxe Beverage Package (the alcohol package) and the intern sale is what we lovingly call an EXTREME error made by someone last year when they posted the Deluxe Beverage Package for $18 per person per day (about $40 savings per person per day).  A bunch of us jumped on it - Royal ended up honoring it and the joke was that some intern screwed up.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The DBP is the Deluxe Beverage Package (the alcohol package) and the intern sale is what we lovingly call an EXTREME error made by someone last year when they posted the Deluxe Beverage Package for $18 per person per day (about $40 savings per person per day).  A bunch of us jumped on it - Royal ended up honoring it and the joke was that some intern screwed up.

I've got my shirt all ready for my April cruise and everything.

562477818_A13usaonutL._CLa2140200081JQTjhCCIL.png00214020000_00.02140.02000.0._UX342_.png.035d6e4a3969442fa26cd67c1f56aa80.png

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I agree with Neesa.  I would not spend another dime for either the ATS or the UPS.  I would, however, for the SLS...especially since you covet the proximity to the CK.  While it seems like a lot of $$, you could try out Star Class for a very good price and see if it's something that you would ever spend a LOT of money on. IMO $1600 to move up to SC is well worth the money.

I listened to your advise Star Class was so worth the $$

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I am trying to understand a little more about Royal Up.  I am on Oasis earlier in March than BakedAlaska.  I am in a Grand Suite.  I got an email inviting to bid on various options, including the ones Baked Alaska got, but the minimum amounts were higher.  I wonder if this is due to the cruise date or the fact that I originally booked a lower price suite.  It may be that they are seeking a certain level of revenue from Royal Up, so if you paid less initially, your minimum bid is more.  Just throwing this out for consideration.

From experience, albeit limited, the minimum bid for Royalup as well as the room upgrades offered for bid seem more driven by your booked room category than sail date.  For example, on different ships at different times of the year, I found the royalup offer from grand suite to be virtually identical among the sailings. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 10:38 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Well, like I said in another thread, I put a fatter bid on the Star Loft Suite, but not enough to equate the probable fare (really, what DOES that mean) of the suite. Hoping we get it. Since we are already in a Crown Loft, we'd already have the double C&A points, but we do get a Genie with the Star Loft bid win? That would be great. If we did win the bid, would the concierge take the info we gave them and forwarded to the Genie (assuming that we would be notified after the concierge email was replied to)?

Yes, if you win the RoyalUp bid for the Star Loft, you will get all of the amenities of Star Class, including the Genie.  I would not expect the Concierge to have any discussions with the Genie.  If there is anything you need to tell the Genie, you will have plenty of time to do that.  The Genie will contact you a full month prior to sailing.

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, if you win the RoyalUp bid for the Star Loft, you will get all of the amenities of Star Class, including the Genie.  I would not expect the Concierge to have any discussions with the Genie.  If there is anything you need to tell the Genie, you will have plenty of time to do that.  The Genie will contact you a full month prior to sailing.

Yes, but I was thinking that if we win the bid and they don't notify us until the week of sailing, the Genie will not have had the opportunity to contact us a month prior. 

3 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Yes, but I was thinking that if we win the bid and they don't notify us until the week of sailing, the Genie will not have had the opportunity to contact us a month prior. 

It’s possible that you will have less lead time with the Genie if you get a last minute RoyalUp...but I still think you would have enough time.  Frankly, you will not have much of any interaction with the Concierge when you are Star Class.

2 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Even if you found out 24 hours prior, the Genie can still make everything happen for you. That is the beauty of star class!