This is why no info on Icon class ships

15 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Exactly, that's the only info. What it's powered by and the size. No info on design, amenities, and no artist renderings. I think Royal has something very big up their sleeve. 

I hope so but have no idea what, promenade?? will it even have a flowrider or will they move on from that.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Have you watched many of this guy's videos?  I did and I find myself incompatible with a lot of of his "information".  

It has given me a great deal of respect for @Matt who doesn't produce drivel just for the sake of getting "clicks" and "watches".  

I presume his videos don't really include much detail? just a load of waffle.

2 hours ago, J_Keeble said:

I just watch some rubbish on why he hates oasis class ships or something. what a load of rubbish that was.

20 minutes I will never get back. complaining about a $5 can of pop. don't buy it LOL

I believe he did what he hated and what he loved about Oasis. Not just what he hated. Don't cherry pick. 

2 minutes ago, KenCP said:

This guy mainly reports on all the negative material he hears about cruising.  If had seen his videos before I started watching @Matt videos and channel I would may never of cruised.  When we see him show up on our feed at home we always say "what has Doom & Gloom have to say now".  LOL

I disagree with that completely. 

5 minutes ago, steverk said:

Back to the original point of this post.  We don't have any new info on the ship itself.

Do we know where it will be based?  I've heard that the Florida ports are resisting LNG fuel. Any thoughts on how that might affect deployment?

I hope we get one up here in NJ at Cape liberty that's all I know. I would be very excited about that. I would have to book immediately just like when Oasis was announced to be coming up here. 

3 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I hope we get one up here in NJ at Cape liberty that's all I know. I would be very excited about that. I would have to book immediately just like when Oasis was announced to be coming up here. 

Since we don't even know any hints about the ship's design, I would say that's at best a 50/50 chance. Quantum and Anthem were able to start off up here because of their cold-weather design that allowed them to sail from here year-round. If Icon is also designed with cold-weather sailing in mind, then having NJ as the initial US home port could well be a possibility. Royal has shown with Q class that they're willing to give the northeast the first ship of that class when the design makes sense, so... maybe?

At the same time, I look at Odyssey and how Royal decided to home port her in FL even though she'll be the latest Q class, where NJ or Seattle might have made better sense for the inaugural. Just shows that things don't always go the way you might expect them to. Although...

What if the reason Odyssey got placed in FL for her inaugural season is because Royal was thinking longer-term? They know Icon is coming relatively soon, and they know that the NJ / NY / CT area has had Q class ships for a long time. We got Oasis in 2020 and 2021, which while a nice change (for some, anyway ?) isn't new. We're "just" getting a decade-old ship that's gotten a facelift. What if Royal's plan was to give Floridians their own Q class ship because they also plan to give NJ the first Icon class ship, just like we got Quantum?

It's a stretch, I'll admit. This would mean that NJ / eastern seaboard got the inaugural ships of the two most recent designs. But if Icon was designed for it, and/or this region is the most prepared to support LNG fueling, it would make sense.

Would LA or West Coast in general make sense being that the ship is LNG powered with California's regulations?  If they are truly re-doing the port over there to make a couple spots for cruise ships, RC could make a little splash with a new ship...although, being from the northeast US I would also (selfishly) like to see it be in NJ ?

26 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Since we don't even know any hints about the ship's design, I would say that's at best a 50/50 chance. Quantum and Anthem were able to start off up here because of their cold-weather design that allowed them to sail from here year-round. If Icon is also designed with cold-weather sailing in mind, then having NJ as the initial US home port could well be a possibility. Royal has shown with Q class that they're willing to give the northeast the first ship of that class when the design makes sense, so... maybe?

At the same time, I look at Odyssey and how Royal decided to home port her in FL even though she'll be the latest Q class, where NJ or Seattle might have made better sense for the inaugural. Just shows that things don't always go the way you might expect them to. Although...

What if the reason Odyssey got placed in FL for her inaugural season is because Royal was thinking longer-term? They know Icon is coming relatively soon, and they know that the NJ / NY / CT area has had Q class ships for a long time. We got Oasis in 2020 and 2021, which while a nice change (for some, anyway ?) isn't new. We're "just" getting a decade-old ship that's gotten a facelift. What if Royal's plan was to give Floridians their own Q class ship because they also plan to give NJ the first Icon class ship, just like we got Quantum?

It's a stretch, I'll admit. This would mean that NJ / eastern seaboard got the inaugural ships of the two most recent designs. But if Icon was designed for it, and/or this region is the most prepared to support LNG fueling, it would make sense.

to me Odyssey is a warm weather ship...with Seaplex.  no brainer why Odyssey will be home ported in FL

As far as the design goes, with the LNG meaning there will be little to no admissions, I would expect something radical such as removing the smoke stack. Just one pipe for all emissions as they are so greatly reduced, and then reclaim all that lost pool deck space. We could see some really cool designs come out of this no emissions idea. 

12 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

to me Odyssey is a warm weather ship...with Seaplex.  no brainer why Odyssey will be home ported in FL

Curious what makes you feel that way, since she's cut from the same Quantum class mold and has the same "inward-facing" design with Esplanade, Sea Plex, enclosed Solarium, etc.

26 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Curious what makes you feel that way, since she's cut from the same Quantum class mold and has the same "inward-facing" design with Esplanade, Sea Plex, enclosed Solarium, etc.

She no longer has indoor pool.. and pool deck will be very similar to Navigator of the Seas with very Caribbean feel to it. 

just my opinion.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:45 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

The reason why is because RCI is tight lipped, watch the video below.

LNG will be the primary fuel but do to the lack of LNG infrastructure ICON will also have the capability to run on distillate fuel. Nick Weir tweeted last month Icon class is approaching its final design stage.

12 hours ago, brycemo said:

As far as the design goes, with the LNG meaning there will be little to no admissions, I would expect something radical such as removing the smoke stack. Just one pipe for all emissions as they are so greatly reduced, and then reclaim all that lost pool deck space. We could see some really cool designs come out of this no emissions idea. 

Lots of extra pool deck space to play with. I wonder what they will come up with?!

18 hours ago, JLMoran said:

It appears that the indoor pool on Odyssey will be another outdoor pool area.   Other than the SeaPlex and 270 being indoors over the outdoors Aquatheater, there isn't much else that makes it necessarily more inward-facing.  Esplanade and Promenade are effectively the same thing and entirely inside.  Most of the Solariums in the fleet are mostly covered or have retractable roofing.