What time to get on the ship?

MicDay

Normally we are one of the first on the ship to maximize our time. 

This May we are cruising on the Allure (first time on her) Western Mediterranean.

We are coming in two days before we cruise, third day we board the ship.  Our port is in Barcelona (a first for all four of us)

We only have one sea day, the last day, so we will not be on the ship as much as a Caribbean cruise.

What would you do, explore Barcelona until 2pm or get on the ship early?

We did a similar cruise from Barcelona a couple of summers ago.   Couple of days in Barcelona, very port intensive with sea day on the last day as well.   

After the long flight from East Coast, and two very busy days in Barcelona (Sagrada Familia, bike tour, there is so much to see and do) and knowing our busy cruise itinerary would not allow much down time, we opted to get on the ship as early as possible,  It was our  kids first cruise and everyone was excited to explore the ship.

We have not been on Allure but know she is a great ship with a lot of great food and entertainment/activity options.   You can't go wrong either way.

Guess it really depends on how much you are trying to see in Barcelona and if you need the extra time before boarding.   Do you have time at the end of the cruise to explore Barcelona?

No, my husband was maxed out on how much time he can take off at one time.

We fly home that afternoon on the day we depart from the ship.

Very good point of resting, we plan on really using all the time available for the ports.

We are all adults, two 40 plus and two 21 year olds

Downtime while on vacation is very important too!

You really don't have that much time in Barcelona, and I think it might be a mistake to cram as much as you can in the 48 or so hours that you're there. 

But with that said, I think the X-factor is whether you've done an Oasis class ship before or not. If you have, I'm not sure that Allure will hold that many surprises for you, so take your time getting on. 

If you haven't, it might be better to get onboard sooner. 

We had a similar trip starting from Barcelona a couple years back and had a similar concern.

We originally had big plans for the morning of boarding to do some site seeing prior to boarding ....

However, like those before stated there is so much to do in Barcelona and we tried to cram a lot in the day and a half prior ...

Also add in that Barcelona is a city that lends itself to staying out late ... and some jet-lag .... 

Long Story short .... after a full day and a half of site seeing, we slept in a bit the morning of boarding (till around 10) then headed to the ship and were one of the first on board at around 11ish. 

Would do same thing again next time. Gave us a good amount of time to experience day and night in the city and bit of relaxing time prior to a very port heavy trip.  Enjoy!

On 1/21/2020 at 2:12 AM, MicDay said:

No, my husband was maxed out on how much time he can take off at one time.

We fly home that afternoon on the day we depart from the ship.

Very good point of resting, we plan on really using all the time available for the ports.

We are all adults, two 40 plus and two 21 year olds

Downtime while on vacation is very important too!

Hi, can I ask what date you are travelling? I am also travelling with a 21 year old ? We are travelling from Barcelona on May 24th.