Transportation Ft Lauderdale to Miami

KimV

Flying in to Ft Lauderdale but staying and sailing out of Miami....looking to advice on transportation from Ft Lauderdale airport to Miami.  Have looked in to Uber and Lyft just wondering of anyone has tried any other modes of transportation, maybe by rail?  Any advise is much appreciated.

There are two rail options available:

Brightline https://www.gobrightline.com/

Tri-Rail https://www.tri-rail.com/

The only issue is that neither will get you all the way to the port if that's your final destination.  You would still need to Uber/Lyft from the train stations in Miami to the port.

There have been a couple of posts about experiences:

For convenience the best is Uber or Lyft.  For cheapest that would be Tri-Rail assuming they are running when you land.  

Tri-Rail takes much longer and involves shuttle buses on each end assuming your hotel has a Miami airport shuttle.  It's also 10% of the cost of Uber or Lyft.  There's a bit of walking through the Miami airport so with cruise luggage that may not be a fun experience.  I've done it a couple of time when I am in no hurry and would end up just sitting in my hotel room.  The savings paid for dinner and a drink at my hotel bar.

5 hours ago, KimV said:

Flying in to Ft Lauderdale but staying and sailing out of Miami....looking to advice on transportation from Ft Lauderdale airport to Miami.  Have looked in to Uber and Lyft just wondering of anyone has tried any other modes of transportation, maybe by rail?  Any advise is much appreciated.

If it’s not a cost issue and only a matter of convenience, go with Uber.  

Last year the wife and I flew into Ft. Lauderdale for our 1st cruise,  sailed out of Miami. we took the Tri Rail down to Miami airport then called our hotel and they sent a car to get us. Not really that big of a deal except walking thru Miami airport sucked. With my bad knees it felt like we walked 5 miles, it wasnt but felt like it. For the trip back to Ft. Lauderdale the porter that helped us with our luggage helped us get on a shuttle van can't remember the cost but it wasn't that bad.

I've rented a car from Budget - pick up at  Fort Lauderdale airport  Sat evening, drive to Miami hotel where we are spending the night pre-cruise, drop off the car at the Budget port location on Sunday morning and they will shuttle us to the ship.  Total cost for a standard SUV on Costco.com was $63.00.   We haven't travelled yet but after looking at all the different scenarios this just seemed easiest for us.