Time in Grand Cayman and Renting bikes or motorized scooter?

Jami112

Hi everyone, this is my first question on the blog so TIA.  I love reading about everyone's adventures!  This is our 3rd cruise but first time in Grand Cayman.  I am sailing the Indy in April with my husband, DD17, DS13.  Does anyone have any experience renting bikes or motorized scooters on Grand Cayman?  We are looking to hit up a couple of quick spots (maybe Eden's Cove with our own gear) before heading over to Margaritaville Resort  where we booked a room for the night on Expedia for $190 (tax and resort fees included) just to get the beach chairs and umbrellas, pool, and bathrooms for the day.  Thoughts on if this is a good idea or overkill?  It looks like there will be 4 ships docked on our day there in April with about 20,000 people total! Yikes!  So my thought is that the public beaches would be pretty crowded.  We looked into a Cabana a Royal Palms but that seems like more of a crowded party scene we are just not that interested in.  We are docked from 7am to 3pm so we will not have a lot of time there. We are trying out the KEY this trip so we should not have to difficult of a time getting a tender fairly quickly.  I welcome any opinions at all!

Personally that sounds like a lot to try to cram in to 8 hours. I don't think you would have much time to enjoy your resort, especially since if sail away is 3p, you'll want to be in line for the tender by 2p (final tender likely at 230p).

We have ridden bikes around Cayman, but only when we were on a land-based vacation and could avoid the heavy traffic around the downtown when the ships were in.

Also, you have to have a valid motorcycle endorsement on your license to rent anything bigger than a 50cc scooter (and be 18+).

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite places in the whole Caribbean. Have a fantastic time!

I am hesitant to rent anything motorized less than a car in a foreign country. We rented scooters and ATVs at various times and the maintenance/safety of the equipment was sketchy at best. Not to mention the liability and safety risk of riding around in a foreign country. People don't pay attention to traffic laws, though that's probably not a real big issue on Grand Cayman.  My brother's brother in law crashed a scooter into a car on a cruise in Jamaica and was hurt. It cost him thousands of dollars to settle the damage with the car he ran into, not to mention medical treatment.   I think a bike, though not ideal would be safer.

22 hours ago, KristiZ said:

Personally that sounds like a lot to try to cram in to 8 hours. I don't think you would have much time to enjoy your resort, especially since if sail away is 3p, you'll want to be in line for the tender by 2p (final tender likely at 230p).

We have ridden bikes around Cayman, but only when we were on a land-based vacation and could avoid the heavy traffic around the downtown when the ships were in.

Also, you have to have a valid motorcycle endorsement on your license to rent anything bigger than a 50cc scooter (and be 18+).

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite places in the whole Caribbean. Have a fantastic time!

I am known to cram 25 hours into a 24 hour day!  Maybe I will catch an island bug and find a way to relax! Thanks for the input. 

2 hours ago, mac66 said:

I am hesitant to rent anything motorized less than a car in a foreign country. We rented scooters and ATVs at various times and the maintenance/safety of the equipment was sketchy at best. Not to mention the liability and safety risk of riding around in a foreign country. People don't pay attention to traffic laws, though that's probably not a real big issue on Grand Cayman.  My brother's brother in law crashed a scooter into a car on a cruise in Jamaica and was hurt. It cost him thousands of dollars to settle the damage with the car he ran into, not to mention medical treatment.   I think a bike, though not ideal would be safer.

Umm, I guess I’m scratching the bike/scooter idea.  Public transportation here we come!! Thanks. 

Another option is Segways!  We have done this two times in Grand Cayman, and love it :-).  They are guided rides, so you're in a group, but EXCELLENT pre-riding instruction (you have to complete a skills 'test'), and enough variety to make it interesting.  You also get to ride the Segways on 7 Mile Beach, and have about 1-1/2 hours on the beach at a beach club.