Indy Cancellations?

deep1

Over on a social media giant, the Independence  of the Sea group came to life with a number of cancellations? Last count was at least three B2B trips involved. Saying they were chartered?  Nov.9, 14, 21 guests have been notified and rumors of others into Dec...  That puts at least 12,000 guests into having to find other trips or cancel... Pretty inconvenient and compensation being offered is coming up short. Any idea what is going on???

I was one of those cancelled on and, yeah, I'm bummed, but it I've already decided on and booked another cruise (and gifted myself an upgrade to JS because I deserve nice things, lol). Still haven't quite figured out what chartered means, though - did some company just come in and book for all their own employees?

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes.  Not necessarily employees.  Often full ship charters are organizations or events like charity fund raisers or music concerts, etc.

I've seen one here and one there but three full weeks and maybe more? Then some were being offered dates that would be right in the middle of the other cancelled weeks? For example one being offered on Nov 19th which would be right in the middle of the 14-21st cancellation... This is certainly weird... At least 12,000 inconvenienced... They are only offering $200 for lost airfares which doesn't come close...

Must have been lots of $$$ thrown at Royal to make it worthwhile.

As stated here numerous times..Royal is a business and all they care about is the bottom line(and most ppl here seem ok with that)..if they can make more $ from someone else than you....guess what happens!

Don't know of any other business that functions like that but hey....

I had a January 2021 IOS cruise cancelled because of a charter. I just moved to a Feb 22, 2021 cruise and got a couple hundred dollars into my OBC fund. Not a big deal, as it was pretty far out, but I can see how it can very inconvenient if it required more than just my wife and I to coordinate changes with. 

With my recent Indy cruise, it was actually my second rebook as I had been bumped from a Navigator AND an Indy cruise due to charters. The OBC offered from those bumps covered my gratuities, plus the cruise I ended up going on (Jan 2) was more expensive than the original cruises and I was price protected at my original cost, so it worked out for me.

I can  see benefits in some of the perks for some when its over an year out. They aren't offering much this time. 50 a person and only 200 for non refundable air. Some of the dates fall on noting. Some however fall on holidays that families planned around (veterans day, thanksgiving)...  I'm hearing of 4th or even 5th cancellations and then new sail dates for open boat inside the cancelled date windows?  Lot of it I'm sure is rumor and misinformation but its confusing at best if in fact they are opening new open sail dates in the "chartered" windows...

21 minutes ago, deep1 said:

Reading over there that some are being offered (and accepting the nov 19 date) while others aren't being offered it at all.  Whats really off is that Nov 19th falls right in the time slot that would have been Nov 14-21... and 21-26

Some of the charters may be different number of days from the original sailings (e.g. the charter is 3 days when the original sailing was 5 days) so they have to create new itineraries to fill in the other days that weren't chartered.  

2 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Some of the charters may be different number of days from the original sailings (e.g. the charter is 3 days when the original sailing was 5 days) so they have to create new itineraries to fill in the other days that weren't chartered.  

Seems odd to kill their only 7 day sailing of a popular ship for some shorty that disrupts three other sailings as well... Oh well... 

25 minutes ago, deep1 said:

Seems odd to kill their only 7 day sailing of a popular ship for some shorty that disrupts three other sailings as well... Oh well... 

They can make a guaranteed amount of money off of a charter, so it's usually worth it for them to do that over betting that a normal sailing will generate more onboard revenue than they could have gotten for the charter guarantee.  

I never book domestic airfare that far out, so the cancellation wouldn't have affected me too much.  I know it happens and it's still disappointing to have plans change and need to come up with a whole new vacation.  I've heard of charter cancellations coming with a much shorter notification window before sailing so at least this one wasn't absolutely last minute.  I hope everyone can work things out and find something comparable to take its place.

On 1/15/2020 at 4:35 PM, deep1 said:

It's all about the benjamin's baby....as a rapper once said...lol

Yup, Royal will do anything to make more $ from someone else then they can get from you and leave you hanging......its all in the fine print somewhere.....?