Hi Everyone!

It's been a while since I have posted. A lot has changed since our last RC cruise! We had TWINS! They just turned one and we are ready to book a cruise as a family of 4. We are looking at Oasis of the Seas to Port Canaveral and Bahamas. Our main concern prior to booking is transportation from the port into town. Last time we cruised to Port Canaveral we just Uber'd to cocoa beach and went for lunch and drinks, planning on the same this time around. And Atlantis at Nassau. 

How to get around with infants? Without bringing two car seats. Does anyone have experience with ubers and car seats? (I may be a little spoiled, but when we went to Disney, the "Minnie Vans" [Lyft] always carried 2 graco 4ever seats for usage). What do parents with little ones do?

This is the one detail holding us up. We could certainly manage to do without leaving the port at port Canaveral, since it's not all that important to us. But we really want to spend the day at Atlantis with the kiddies. 

Any advice is helpful! Thank you!

How old will they be when you sail? If you are booking a couple years out, I have seen travel car seats that fold up on Amazon - I would think the kids would need to be ready for just a booster though. I know in Western Caribbean itineraries, most places don't require car seats, and a lot of people just hold the kids in the car. Have you googled Bahamas car seat law? If the law is lax (or non-existent), you will probably have a really hard time finding a taxi or uber that has child seats available. 

20 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

How old will they be when you sail? If you are booking a couple years out, I have seen travel car seats that fold up on Amazon - I would think the kids would need to be ready for just a booster though. I know in Western Caribbean itineraries, most places don't require car seats, and a lot of people just hold the kids in the car. Have you googled Bahamas car seat law? If the law is lax (or non-existent), you will probably have a really hard time finding a taxi or uber that has child seats available. 

They will be about 20 months old. It makes me very nervous to travel without car seats, but it's extremely inconvenient to bring car seats along as they are HUGE and traveling with twins doesnt exactly leave a free hand for more "stuff" LOL!

I think any excursion or transportation option on a bus does not require car seats.  We have one still in a car seat and one in a booster and I am having the same dilemma just not with the added bulk of twins in full size seats.  Good luck!

As I think more about this, It would be a really valuable service for Royal to have a few child seats/booster seats available for use while in ports.  I am guessing there could be liability issues but it would be so nice!

• 5 weeks later...

We did this last year and we ended up taking the ferry to Paradise Island from Nassau.  That was fairly easy--you can pay for the ferry right outside of the port and it's about a 3 minute walk.  It wasn't the nicest boat I've ever been on, but it was fine.  It was a pretty long walk once you got off the ferry and a little hard to find your way around.  But we asked people and found our way there.  It took us probably 15-20 minutes to find the place where we picked up our Resort for a Day wrist bands.  We did a special where you could just get beach and aquarium access (no pools or slides) and it worked out really well.  There is a baby beach that's a protected lagoon that the kids loved (two 2.5 year olds).  This was the only car seat free way I could find.

The other option would be to book an expensive Atlantis package through RCCL (that would include slides and the pools).  This would most likely have bus transportation that wouldn't require a car seat.  But I'm not certain of the vehicle.

For Cocoa beach, the RCCL excursion that's just the "Ron Jon Cocoa Beach Shuttle" is a full size bus and totally safe to go on with no car seats.  I haven't done it, but I called the cruise line to confirm, and found pics of the busses leaving the port.  This is what we will do this year (last cruise we went to Epcot).