Foreign Currency For Excursions / Markets

ajmp5

4 minutes ago, ajmp5 said:

What is everyone's ideology regarding carrying foreign currency for excursion tips and or market purchases?  I'll be going on Western Caribbean cruise and want to know if I should carry Pesos or not.

Thanks again!

Concur with others, but note that when you are the restricted port shopping, some stores give a better price in pesos, others in dollars.  Example: The peso on our recent trip was about 19/US $1 but one store converted at 15 per dollar.   Also, when buying coffee at a port Starbucks with US, use the smallest bills you have -- they may not be able to break a $20 bill.

1 hour ago, steverk said:

Does anyone have experience in non-Caribbean ports, such as Australia or New Zealand?

I don't have direct experience (yet! ?), but I've been advised by others here that if you have a credit card that doesn't charge any foreign exchange fees, use that in overseas countries rather than converting cash to Euros, AUD, ISK, or whatever the country you're visiting uses.

Personally, I'd still convert a small amount of money and have it handy for places that don't take credit cards or that offer a discount for cash. Also means that if you wanted, you could return home with a couple samples of the local currencies of the places you've visited. Something unusual to have as a souvenir.

6 hours ago, steverk said:

Does anyone have experience in non-Caribbean ports, such as Australia or New Zealand?

I would probably get some Australian money if I'm down there, or Euros if I'm on the Mediterranean. You should be able to use your credit card for most things in Canada. If you use cash you'll get a bunch of loonies and toonies back (but no pennies) that you'll have no idea what to do with. 

6 hours ago, steverk said:

You need local currency in the smaller ports you sail to in the region. In Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, and the like, a credit card works fine. In Bali, Philippines, Noumea, Vanuatu, etc, you need local currency. A few places will also accept Australian, but USD can be hard to use.

7 hours ago, steverk said:

We cruised NZ and Australia in Jan 2018.  While some port gift shops accepted multiple currencies, we used local currency.  We re-supplied at ATMs, taking out our money in local $.  Also, you'll want local currency for cab drivers, etc.