Wonderland on Harmony .....

ChrisK2793

We've never eaten at Wonderland before.  We’re on Harmony 1/19-26.  We have the UDP and I have to email the suite concierge back today with the days and times we want to eat at each restaurant.

Should we eat at Wonderland?  I’ve heard mixed reviews about it and I saw that a few people on a post somebody made in an RCCL Facebook group have said that the Wonderland on Harmony was very disappointing.

If you think we should eat there ....... please tell me your favorite appetizers and entrees and what you liked about them.  Thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

We've never eaten at Wonderland before.  We’re on Harmony 1/19-26.  We have the UDP and I have to email the suite concierge back today with the days and times we want to eat at each restaurant.

Should we eat at Wonderland?  I’ve heard mixed reviews about it and I saw that a few people on a post somebody made in an RCCL Facebook group have said that the Wonderland on Harmony was very disappointing.

If you think we should eat there ....... please tell me your favorite appetizers and entrees and what you liked about them.  Thanks in advance.

I am in the #neverWonderland club BUT I think it is worth your time to try it for yourself.

You might as well try it if you have the UDP.  It can be quite the food adventure if you're into that.  Make a super early reservation for Wonderland and a super late reservation somewhere else..then you have a backup if the food isn't to your liking and you need something more to eat  ? 

34 minutes ago, Marlena said:

If you have the package you should try it! Our experience is that I didnt love it but my husband did. Happy I tried it tho!

‘We talked about it more over dinner and decided we might as well try it since our 8yo son isn’t coming with us on this cruise.  He for sure wouldn’t like it.  So I sent in our reservation requests with 1 night at Wonderland 

I tried Wonderland and I was disappointed, mainly because I have dietary restrictions. I felt uncomfortable the entire time with not knowing what food was going to be brought out since we had to "trust the waiter." For me personally, the food was just too out there for me. I ended up having Sorrentos pizza later. My significant other enjoyed Wonderland, but also felt uneasy with how the experience went. He wants to try it again, but I told him he would have to go alone.

Overall, I am glad I tried Wonderland once, but I think I had too high of expectations.

21 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Is Wonderland a seafood heavy restaurant?  We watched a few videos guests took of their experience and there seemed to be a lot of seafood.  I would love to try it, but my wife is skeptical due to all of the seafood.  

They have seafood options for the appetizer and the main courses but they also have non-seafood options.  If you tell them to nix the seafood they will basically bring you the entire rest of the menu.  Usually you get the menu but then they say they're going to guide you through the meal and bring out whatever they want.  You need to make sure you object to that if you especially want something in particular or don't want something.  Some of the food is...odd, but most of it was enjoyable in my opinion.  The beef dish was excellent and the shrimp appetizer and deviled eggs were some of my favorite appetizers.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

They have seafood options for the appetizer and the main courses but they also have non-seafood options.  If you tell them to nix the seafood they will basically bring you the entire rest of the menu.  Usually you get the menu but then they say they're going to guide you through the meal and bring out whatever they want.  You need to make sure you object to that if you especially want something in particular or don't want something.  Some of the food is...odd, but most of it was enjoyable in my opinion.  The beef dish was excellent and the shrimp appetizer and deviled eggs were some of my favorite appetizers.

This is great to know.  I wasnt sure if this was an option.  Everything I watched/read seemed as if we were, like @MelKaps said, mercy of the waiter.  Being a different experience I just thought that was how it was set.

2 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

This is great to know.  I wasnt sure if this was an option.  Everything I watched/read seemed as if we were, like @MelKaps said, mercy of the waiter.  Being a different experience I just thought that was how it was set.

Most folks go into it not knowing any better.  I travel with a highly opinionated family member who isn't afraid to overstep to get what she truly wants ?

All you have to do is assert yourself and let them know that you definitely don't want X, Y, or Z when you order and that you do for sure want A, B, C.  They may bring out stuff you don't ask for as well but they won't be insulted if you don't try it.  After all, you didn't ask for it.  Some of the item descriptions are off-putting if you look at the menu but they are actually good.  Others really are just..weird.  The menu also wasn't split into appetizers/entrees but more of a 4 elements theme, so some of the items under each earth, air, fire, water are appetizers and some are entrees.  

If you have the UDP it's worth it to pop in just for the World dessert if you're into the chocolate peanut butter combo.  They also have a fun signature cocktail menu with drinks that are all covered under the Deluxe beverage package.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

Most folks go into it not knowing any better.  I travel with a highly opinionated family member who isn't afraid to overstep to get what she truly wants ?

All you have to do is assert yourself and let them know that you definitely don't want X, Y, or Z when you order and that you do for sure want A, B, C.  They may bring out stuff you don't ask for as well but they won't be insulted if you don't try it.  After all, you didn't ask for it.  Some of the item descriptions are off-putting if you look at the menu but they are actually good.  Others really are just..weird.  The menu also wasn't split into appetizers/entrees but more of a 4 elements theme, so some of the items under each earth, air, fire, water are appetizers and some are entrees.  

If you have the UDP it's worth it to pop in just for the World dessert if you're into the chocolate peanut butter combo.  They also have a fun signature cocktail menu with drinks that are all covered under the Deluxe beverage package.

My wife and I think it is a fun idea. I do not think we would be so adventurous at home.  When I am on vacation I am up for new experiences and with a dining package sure lets give different a chance.  Besides, there are so many options to go and eat at if we don't like it. 

Since telling my wife the good news on being able to request no seafood she is back on board with trying it out ? 

I tried wonderland last week, just got back from my sailing so it's still fresh with me.

To be completely honest you're going for the experience and getting out of your comfort zone during your vacation.

The service was great, along with the entertainment staff and atmosphere. (Great for pictures)

BUT the food was a bit odd for me and I eat just about anything.

Most of our food was also lukewarm which seems to be the pattern here. I had a view of their open kitchen and the lukewarm food could be due to the cause of the time spend staging the plate for presentation.

the dessert with the chocolate molded like mushroom was delicious along with the melting caramel ball peanut butter ice cream.

It's a toss up and I would definitely go again if we had a great deal or it was free haha.

The wonderland themed alcohol looked great but tasted awful in my opinion. I started ordering alcohol I was comfortable with after the first experimentation of wonderland beverages.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:08 PM, ChrisK2793 said:

Eat twice in Wonderland  , one time on Harmony , we were accompany by my Father  and his wife , they loved the experience . I enjoyed most of the food , there are some things which were very good (the short rib , the shrimp , the dessert  and one or two others) some were not that good like the fish that I thought was very dry. Some were just OK , they have done allot of effort to present them differently but although they looked very interesting the taste was very normal .  We went again on Symphony and although we knew about all the surprises we still enjoyed it , mind the second time was part of BOGO deal. You come there mainly for the experience.   As part of the UDP for sure I would try it once . 

We just sailed with Ovation (Aus/NZ) and thought Wonderland was fantastic,  so it is interesting to see so much negative feedback.  There was only one dish we thought was poor and that was one we specifically requested,  which they brought in addition to all the ones they recommended. 

On the other hand Main Dining was woeful and I would never sail with RCCL again unless I could afford to add specialty dining.

I tried Wonderland on Harmony back in September and would recommend it.  You can take the route I did and just tell them you bring you whatever, which ended up bring half a dozen appetizers, two entrees, and three deserts, you can be more specific than that but I'm game to try just about anything.  For me at least, the appetizers were the star of the dinner, I could have made a dinner out of just those and been perfectly happy.  Entrees were good, but nothing that really stood out and with a lack of a sweet tooth the desserts mostly went to waste.  I do plan on doing it again once more but that'll probably be it. 

Well worth it for the experience, especially if you have UDP...worst case you just go somewhere else afterwards.  Side note, I did end up stopping by the Wonderland bar every evening before dinner since they had a couple of fantastic drinks only available there.  That's worth a trip up there regardless ?

On 1/14/2020 at 12:50 PM, AshleyDillo said:

This is very helpful. I'm not an assertive person if I'm uncomfortable or don't know someone, given that I'm actually shy and it takes effort for me not to be. So perhaps knowing this will help me to be better prepared! I am not thrilled with the idea of having no control over what I'm getting so this has been very helpful. I feel like they should at least give you the option to start off with on whether you'd prefer to choose or let them.