Maybe Dumb Question, but here I go. �

Hi all

This may seem like a dumb question. I am going on Allure 5-15-16. I would have to look at my cabin to see if it's on the starboard or the Port side.

We are going to to Labadee Hati, Falmouth Jamica, and Cozumel Mexico.

Is there a certain side of the ship that pulls in the ports at these locations?

And I'm really going to feel like an airhead, if I get the answer, the ship pulls in on the port side, at the ports. 😬

Port side is the left as you face towards the front of the ship. If you go onto the cruise planner on RCI website, you'll be able to see the plan for the deck your cabin is on and find your cabin on there too see which side it's on. Hope that helps.

So the Dock you disembark the Ships, is Always on the Port Side?

I guess, if someone has been on Allure of the seas the Western Caribbean the same route, that might know what side of the ship docks on, because I may change my cabin depending on the Answer.

I wouldn't do that. They could dock either way every cruise.

I guess, if someone has been on Allure of the seas the Western Caribbean the same route, that might know what side of the ship docks on, because I may change my cabin depending on the Answer.

I wouldn't do that. They could dock either way every cruise.

The ships dock on both sides, so no way to really tell. Also depending upon winds, tide, and other ships in port the same ship could change sides within the same port from trip to trip. If on a finger dock you will still see everything. If on a flat pier to the land again you will see see around the port. I believe maybe you are overthinking at this point. Just take the cruise and have fun.

I was on Allure, in january this year, also western Carribean.

I can tell you that the ship will ALWAYS be docked on is starboard side (right) in Labadee. The ship also backs up to the pier in Falmouth, so also docked on starboard side. 

Cozumel is a guess, 2 out 3 will be docked on starboard side. 

Have a great cruise !!

Forgot to say, my balcony was on the right side of the ship, deck eleven.

Thank You Michael.

I just checked my Cabin, looks like I am on the Port Side, Aft. Whatever will be my View, I will just be happy to be on Allure Of The Seas!!!

I am trying not to Drive myself, or Hubby, Crazy with the Anxiousness of having to wait until May 15th, to be on this Cruise Ship!! lol!!

Why do they call it the port side then?! Our travel agent booked us a port side cabin for this very reason

Port side refers to the port side of the ship (left side when facing the bow) rather than the side of the ship that faces any particular port of call.

Why do they call it the port side then?! Our travel agent booked us a port side cabin for this very reason

They can and will dock on either side for all the reasons listed above.

As for the name "port side" (and "starboard side"):  Many answers, but the one I've always accepted is that in the earliest days of sailing ships, there was no rudder, but there was a "steering board".  This was hung out near the back.  It was not directly in the center but off to the right side.  Why the right side?  Because most people are right-handed and that is their strong side with which to operate the steering board.  The"steering board side" became abbreviated over the years to become "starboard".  The left side was called "port side" bacause you always put that side towards the dock so as not to damage the steering board.  

Views can change from port to port.  Sometimes you'll face the land, other times you'll face the sea depending on the pier setup, your ship, and how many other ships are in port at the same time.   And if there are other ships sharing the same pier, you may just find that pretty view blocked by the ship next to you.  You can wave to the folks on the other balconies 40 feet away from you.  :)  Enjoy the cruise!

They can and will dock on either side for all the reasons listed above.

As for the name "port side" (and "starboard side"):  Many answers, but the one I've always accepted is that in the earliest days of sailing ships, there was no rudder, but there was a "steering board".  This was hung out near the back.  It was not directly in the center but off to the right side.  Why the right side?  Because most people are right-handed and that is their strong side with which to operate the steering board.  The"steering board side" became abbreviated over the years to become "starboard".  The left side was called "port side" bacause you always put that side towards the dock so as not to damage the steering board.  

Now that sir, is a darn good explination. Now I finally know what those words means. Thanks !!

When I observe port cams, I haven't picked up any patterns other than those mentioned above. I assume docking side is determined between the captain and the harbormaster or pilot based upon the number of ships in port, the time it takes to turn around in the turning basin, and whether the crew needs to perform maintenance on one side or another. I was transfixed last year on the dock at Nassau when two crew members were removing stains (looked like rust, but I think it was just dirty water stains) from hull with a giant squirt gun while standing on the dock. I assume they were using some sort of bleach solution or anti-oxidizing agent. So, I don' t think there is any way to predict whether a ship will be docked on the port or starboard side other than asking an officer while on board.

When I observe port cams, I haven't picked up any patterns other than those mentioned above. I assume docking side is determined between the captain and the harbormaster or pilot based upon the number of ships in port, the time it takes to turn around in the turning basin, and whether the crew needs to perform maintenance on one side or another. I was transfixed last year on the dock at Nassau when two crew members were removing stains (looked like rust, but I think it was just dirty water stains) from hull with a giant squirt gun while standing on the dock. I assume they were using some sort of bleach solution or anti-oxidizing agent. So, I don' t think there is any way to predict whether a ship will be docked on the port or starboard side other than asking an officer while on board.

You will love it no mater what side the ship docks on.  I actually prefer the serenity of not facing the dock.  For example, in St. Thomas if you are facing the dock...yea for a while it is fun to watch everyone getting off the ship but you are also starring at building rooftops. On the other side you have an amazing view of Charlotte Amalie and a much better distant view of the Island.  Its really is a win, win and I am willing to bet you will see both happen while on your trip.

Your question was brought was brought up when I was on a behind the scenes tour of the Allure recently.

Here is the answer to your question according to Captain Johnny on the Allure:

The Allure will always pull up to the dock with the starboard side facing the dock.  The reason for this is that the escalators used when in port are only located on the starboard side.  So whenever the Allure comes into port she will spin 360 degrees and back into the dock with her starboard side against the pier.  

Your question was brought was brought up when I was on a behind the scenes tour of the Allure recently.

The Allure will always pull up to the dock with the starboard side facing the dock.  The reason for this is that the escalators used when in port are only located on the starboard side.  So whenever the Allure comes into port she will spin 360 degrees and back into the dock with her starboard side against the pier.

Thank You very Much.

I wish I had known before he made the decision am booking my cabin. No matter what it will still be a Awesome Cruise. I would've asked for the starboard side. I don't think my previous Cruises, I've had a Starboard side cabin, so I have not been able to see that view. I know the view on the portside is just as beautiful, but I kind of like to be able to people watch from my balcony as well.

Thanks again.

Thank You very Much.

I wish I had known before he made the decision am booking my cabin. No matter what it will still be a Awesome Cruise. I would've asked for the starboard side. I don't think my previous Cruises, I've had a Starboard side cabin, so I have not been able to see that view. I know the view on the portside is just as beautiful, but I kind of like to be able to people watch from my balcony as well.

Thanks again.

I was in a Crown Loft on starboard side(1754) and had beautiful views of Labadee.  Actually there was a medical evacuation when we were there and I saw the medivac helicopter land on the section of the pier closest to land at labadee.  In Falmouth we could see all the local shopping area by the port.  In Cozumel the Liberty was docked on the other side of the pier from us, most of the Cozumel view was blocked.  From my balcony I had a birdseye view of the new water slides recently added to the Liberty.  After seeing them I kind wished we could have gone over and tried them out!

I was in a Crown Loft on starboard side(1754) and had beautiful views of Labadee.  Actually there was a medical evacuation when we were there and I saw the medivac helicopter land on the section of the pier closest to land at Labadee.  In Falmouth we could see all the local shopping area by the port.  In Cozumel the Liberty was docked on the other side of the pier from us, most of the Cozumel view was blocked.  From my balcony I had a birds eye view of the new water slides recently added to the Liberty.  After seeing them I kind wished we could have gone over and tried them out!

See, those behind the scenes tours really ARE worth it ! Great information...and now that you mention it, I do recall that the escalators on the O class are only on 1 side. I guess I assumed (always a dangerous thing...) that if we were disembarking on the port side, the elevator would just go down one more floor, but I guess not !

Of course, this rule only applies to the O class (not sure about Q class since I haven't been on one) but at least we know the answer for the O class

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that the world's largest cruise ship (Allure) would be designed such that it is constrained to mainly dock with the starboard side to the pier.  A google search of images shows Allure docked mostly starboard side to the pier, but here's a photo of Allure in Nassau with her port side to the pier....

Allure-of-the-Seas-in-port-at-Nassau.jpg

And another....

IMG_3820_stitch-610x249.jpg

The captain may have a strong preference for which side he puts to the pier, but you just can't count on the ship docking one way or the other.  It's too dependent on winds, currents, maintenance needs, channel constraints, and other factors.

And if your travel agent booked you a port side cabin so you would always be facing the port... get another travel agent.

It's interesting that the world's largest cruise ship (Allure) would be designed such that it is constrained to mainly dock with the starboard side to the pier.  A google search of images shows Allure docked mostly starboard side to the pier, but here's a photo of Allure in Nassau with her port side to the pier....

And another....

The captain may have a strong preference for which side he puts to the pier, but you just can't count on the ship docking one way or the other.  It's too dependent on winds, currents, maintenance needs, channel constraints, and other factors.

And if your travel agent booked you a port side cabin so you would always be facing the port... get another travel agent.

And another....

If a Captain ever made a statement saying we always do it this way, it shows he /she is really not listening or caring about the question. Because as has already been stated things change and that can effect the docking side.