Port Canaveral - Kennedy Space Center

Jazzcrusing

Hi , I'm new to the board and first of all I want to thank all of you for the wealth of information posted here which I am certain has helped so many people.

My family of seven is going on the Anthem fo the Seas Mar 15 to 22, 2020. First port is Port Canaveral, we are interested in going to the Kennedy Space Center and I am looking for  a more economical means as RC excursion I find is a bit costly. Does anyone have any recommendation perhaps a local tour group that anyone had used before? 

I also have  question with regards to the 2 bottles of wine that is allowed on embarkation, should I put these in my carry-on or in the check-in luggage. I read somewhere that it should be in the carry on, just want to be sure ?  

Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, Jazzcrusing said:

I also have  question with regards to the 2 bottles of wine that is allowed on embarkation, should I put these in my carry-on or in the check-in luggage. I read somewhere that it should be in the carry on, just want to be sure ?  

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the answer to your Kennedy Space Center question, but with regards to the wine, everything I have seen on this site has recommended putting it in your carry-on so you don't get called down to retrieve your checked luggage.

13 hours ago, Jazzcrusing said:

My family of seven is going on the Anthem fo the Seas Mar 15 to 22, 2020. First port is Port Canaveral, we are interested in going to the Kennedy Space Center and I am looking for  a more economical means as RC excursion I find is a bit costly. Does anyone have any recommendation perhaps a local tour group that anyone had used before? 

If you are willing to split up your party for the ride over, then taking 2 Uber/Lyft vehicles might be a better option for transportation.  Then you can do KSC on your own.  Base admission is $57 for adults and $47 for children with some discounts for senior and military if those apply. 

The one benefit of going with Royal is that it includes the transportation and you will avoid the lines to get your tickets and also the line up for the bus tour portion.  Doing it yourself you are responsible for your own time but you also get to make your own agenda and get to do what you want to do and not have to follow the group's schedule.

Here's my 2 cents....

We were just at KSC on Dec 30.  We were NOT on a cruise excursion and happened to visit during our trip to Florida.  We were there from 9A until 8P and still didn't see everything.  

We also did an Anthem cruise 2 years ago during Christmas week and did not do a planned excursion out of Port Canaveral.  I ended up regretting that decision and we ended up spending the day on the ship (which also happened to be Christmas day). We were planning to get off the ship, get on the free trolley and go to Coco Beach.  Alas, the only way to get out of the port is by a taxi or a shuttle (whether to the beach or wherever) as the entrance puts you on one side of the highway than everything else.  So... We opted NOT to spend $60 (for 4 people (15/pp)) to go to the beach.

If I were to do it again, I would do the KSC excursion.  Get it through RC because if you are late getting back on your own they will leave without you.  Even if you only see a portion of what is there, you will have a great day.  I highly suggest getting on the bus tour as soon as you get there.  Also the Atlantis exhibit gets really long lines too.  I don't think you will save all that much by getting your own transportation there, and like someone else said, you don't have to wait in line to get in if you go through RC.

You can take in snacks and bottled water, although we didn't eat the snacks and just bought some food there.  Food prices were reasonable.  We did drink the water we brought in and ended up refilling the water bottles at drinking fountains.

Good luck!

Adding my 2 cents, too.

Our family was in FL during the last week of December this year and went to KSC on our own (not cruise-related). We arrived at 10 am and by 2 pm we were quickly exhausted because there was so much to see. So much history! We went to the bus tour line as soon as we arrived and still waited a good 25-30 minutes. When we were leaving at 2 pm, the bus tour waiting line extended out almost to the entrance! Yikes! I felt sorry for the people waiting because they were going to spend a very long time just waiting in line. If the RC excursion provides a way to skip this general waiting line, then I think it's worth it. Also, while the bus tour was good, there's still plenty of other things to see so consider skipping the bus if time is short. Have a fun trip! 

We were on Anthem the week after Christmas and did the Royal excursion to KSC.   I had a hard time with the price and looked for options to do on our own.   We typically book our own tours because of the sticker shock of the ship excursions.   Unfortunately I couldn't come up with a better solution.   Rental car, other tour operators, etc., just didn't work out.  The ship excursion allowed us to see SO MUCH of KSC without waiting in lines, provided efficient transportation (and a tour guide from port to KSC and back) and an organized way to see it all.  

Yes it was costly but worth it IMHO.

Confirming that 2 bottles of wine should be brought aboard in your carry on.