What's the trick to booking connecting rooms?

xps15z

Ok I'm more than a year out from sailing date in May 2021. I know 95% of the rooms have to be available. What's the trick to booking a connecting room lol. It shows an option to show connected rooms when I do 2 rooms. I have 3 guest in each room. It shows the arrows for connecting rooms but doesn't allow me to book both rooms. It's either the room with the door and then 2 units down for every connecting room. Is this something I have to call and get them to give it to me (and they probably will upcharge me) or what's the deal. Anyone had success booking connected rooms online?

1 hour ago, xps15z said:

Ok I'm more than a year out from sailing date in May 2021. I know 95% of the rooms have to be available. What's the trick to booking a connecting room lol. It shows an option to show connected rooms when I do 2 rooms. I have 3 guest in each room. It shows the arrows for connecting rooms but doesn't allow me to book both rooms. It's either the room with the door and then 2 units down for every connecting room. Is this something I have to call and get them to give it to me (and they probably will upcharge me) or what's the deal. Anyone had success booking connected rooms online?

Just a guess, but maybe the two rooms do not fall within a similar category and cannot be selected at the same time. I'd take @steverk's advice and contact a reputable travel agent who can work the magic for you at no additional cost.

I have not booked connecting rooms, but from reading discussions on this board, it seems that booking as connecting is at a premium.  Advice I have seen reccomends booking the two specific rooms independently for a savings. This may not apply to current bookings, just some advice from the past.

12 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I have not booked connecting rooms, but from reading discussions on this board, it seems that booking as connecting is at a premium.  Advice I have seen reccomends booking the two specific rooms independently for a savings. This may not apply to current bookings, just some advice from the past.

I have connecting rooms for an upcoming Symphony sailing that I didn't even want.  We have 2 adjoining OV balconies so the connecting door wasn't necessary because the balcony dividers could be removed.  It didn't come up when I did a mock booking but my when my TA finalized my repricing he grabbed those cabins.   

12 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

It's possible the connecting rooms are only designed for two people each.  

It is for us but not sure if that is the always the case

12 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Just a guess, but maybe the two rooms do not fall within a similar category and cannot be selected at the same time. I'd take @steverk's advice and contact a reputable travel agent who can work the magic for you at no additional cost.

That is the case for our booking...2 different categories.  Four kids in one room and my wife & I in the other.

Royal knows that this is a very popular request and has now started having restrictions on the connecting rooms.  Many times you can find connecting for 3 with 4 guests, but sometimes the connecting triples can be tough to find.  Many times for this we have to ask for exceptions and work with Royal to try to get what our clients need.  It is really hard to get rooms like this when booing online.  I suggest asking the help of a TA or calling in to ask for help with Royal.

We worked through Next Cruise and they were kind enough to link the reservation to our TA.

For our upcoming sailing on Mariner, we could have booked adjoining balcony rooms. Knowing my mother's aversion to heights, we instead booked them the interior cabin across the hall from ours' (as we like the balcony staterooms). Might be an alternative to having directly adjoining rooms...