When going on a 5 day cruise on RC do they have a formal night.

4 hours ago, trashman said:

also, on the formal nights on the 5 day cruise, do they serve lobster as part of the menu, not an addtional charge?

This does seem to vary a little bit and it might depend on the nature of the cruises a ship is doing around that time. 

A ship that alternates between 9 and 5 night cruises may very well offer lobster on the 5 night because they have it on board as part of the normal food provisions.  A ship that does only 4 and 5 night itineraries in a 5 - 5 - 4 rotation might not off lobster.  

I may be mistaken but I think 6 night is the magic threshold where you can count on it.  Also, this tends to be a North American thing.  Cruises departing in other regions don't follow the "lobster protocol".  

17 hours ago, trashman said:

also, on the formal nights on the 5 day cruise, do they serve lobster as part of the menu, not an addtional charge?

On my first 5-night Anthem cruise in 2018, I was in a JS and got lobster as a main course in Coastal Kitchen for an "informal" formal night menu on the last night of the cruise. But this past October, on my second 5-night sailing in a regular balcony room, the MDR didn't offer lobster at all. So I would agree with @twangster's assessment, with the caveat that some dining venues may still offer it on an alternate night.

We did not have lobster on our recent 5-night on Independence. Formal night was on Day 2

49 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

I'm going to be "that guy" on formal night though.  Just slacks and a polo shirt for our group, we are all "packing light".

Judging from my cruise, you won't be the only "that guy" on formal night. Lots of guys don't want to get all dressed up for one night, and I completely get it.

5 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

I'm going to be "that guy" on formal night though.  Just slacks and a polo shirt for our group, we are all "packing light".

On a 5-night sailing I'm a lot more chill about that. It's when it's an 8, 10, or 14+ night sailing with 2 or even 3 formal nights that I find myself getting a stick up my butt about following the rules (and Royal enforcing them). ?

Where would Formal night be listed on the Cruise Compass?
Wife and three daughters are freaking out over whether there will be formal nights on our very first cruise, a 7 night Harmony sailing in Feb... (please dear god help me:)
I don't remember any formal nights during my year at sea on the aircraft carrier, lol.

BTW, thank you everyone for adding to this awesome blog, you all have answered so many questions!

10 minutes ago, HendersonPhoto said:

Where would Formal night be listed on the Cruise Compass?
Wife and three daughters are freaking out over whether there will be formal nights on our very first cruise, a 7 night Harmony sailing in Feb... (please dear god help me:)
I don't remember any formal nights during my year at sea on the aircraft carrier, lol.

BTW, thank you everyone for adding to this awesome blog, you all have answered so many questions!

Front page, right hand side, down a bit.

They are sometimes called "Dress to Impress" or "Wear Your Best".

No Dress Blues on any occasion?

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

Just returned from a 5 day on Explorer and can report back that on our sailing the formal night was day 3 not day 2.  Also I never saw lobster on the menu.  Night 4 we ate at Giovanni's but I got a peek at the menu that night and didn't see it.

They probably had it hidden on the kids menu next to the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

On 1/13/2020 at 11:44 AM, WhiteSoxFan said:

Heading out on a five nighter on Explorer this Sunday.  It is doing the 9/5 rotation so I'll report back when I return.

Ummm... that is formal for me even at weddings and funerals.

I you want to make me wear a tie this is what you will get but not as nice.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ERdr1dxU1KWH1roKA