Coco Cay cancellations

I have been surprised at the number of cancellations as well for Coco Cay...especially now that they have a dock. It appears seas have been rougher lately than normal I would surmise.

In some cases they have done Ladadee instead...but of course it depends on the length of cruise and other planned ports.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

I have been surprised at the number of cancellations as well for Coco Cay...especially now that they have a dock. It appears seas have been rougher lately than normal I would surmise.

In some cases they have done Ladadee instead...but of course it depends on the length of cruise and other planned ports.

It's not just CoCo Cay @twangster just reported Anthem had to skip Antigua because of winds today.

Just back. We had to skip Costa Maya due to 50MPH winds. Another ship was stuck in Allure's birth from the previous night. They couldn't get out that morning and were going to try again that evening. I don't know if they were successful. Just thinking  about missing your return flight, nightmare. The crew said Costa Maya is always windy and often problematic. Only room for two ships on the pier and NCL beat us to get the empty spot. We missed out on our Mayan ruin tour, bummer! We didn't get pinned to the dock though, win!

13 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

It's not just CoCo Cay @twangster just reported Anthem had to skip Antigua because of winds today.

Ugh..that's sucks....friends on that cruise will be disappointed!

Jim Van Fleet says high winds are staying in the area till at least Sunday..hope their last stop isn't cancelled..would make for 9 seas days on a 11 day cruise...

38 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

Just back. We had to skip Costa Maya due to 50MPH winds. Another ship was stuck in Allure's birth from the previous night. They couldn't get out that morning and were going to try again that evening. I don't know if they were successful. Just thinking  about missing your return flight, nightmare. The crew said Costa Maya is always windy and often problematic. Only room for two ships on the pier and NCL beat us to get the empty spot. We missed out on our Mayan ruin tour, bummer! We didn't get pinned to the dock though, win!

I thought Costa Maya could hold 3 ships?

5 hours ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I thought Costa Maya could hold 3 ships?

I don't know if Costa Maya can hold two or three ships, but were told by the Captain "the port is closed to the Allure because there is no room at the dock". I'm sure we are dealing with some RCCL propaganda. The Captain also blamed the other ship for the problem, interestingly no mention of  Allures busted propulsion system.

I'm on rhapsody and we were supposed to dock at Costa maya yesterday. There was room for us, being much smaller than allure, but cancelled anyway. 

Captain said rhapsody can't overcome a crosswind of more than 25 mph when docking. Wind was 30 so they had to skip.

We got close enough that I could see liberty and a Holland America ship had the two big births tied up. 

It's been a rough and windy 2 days back to Tampa. 

Costa Maya routinely takes three ships or four smaller ships.  Lately there has been construction material at the end of the pier so probably limited to three ships at the moment.

However not all ships can use all berths so it's possible their designated position wasn't available.  

I've been delayed arriving into Costa Maya before while we waited for an older ship without azipods to attempt to dock.  It was an MSC ship and it took them forever to reach the pier fighting the winds.  Once they were secure we popped in with ease, the magic of azipods working in our favor.  

Allure's propulsion issue impacts top speed which she can still make just with a lot of vibrations.  She wouldn't need full power to dock, that's more of a finesse operation but if she did need full power briefly she could do it.

In the case of Anthem in Antigua the high winds were causing us to be at an angle in the narrow channel leading to the port.  The "crab" angle was such that we used the entire width of the channel eliminating any safety margin.  Two other ships, one NCL and one Princess didn't even try in Antigua, they just sailed past.  Anthem tried to make it but had to call it off as we approached the narrowest part of the channel.  Captain Srecko and the CD recorded a video that explained in detail the attempt and challenge that caused us to skip.  It's the first time Anthem has had to skip Antigua.

21 hours ago, PRebecca said:

We missed Coco Cay last weekend on Sunday on Mariner so we had a sea day. I've seen on FB that Allure folks going to Labadee, that'd be a pretty great alternate in my opinion.

Yes, I've seen a number of facebook posts that were again going to Labadee, still a beach day, but missing that beautiful pool

5 hours ago, twangster said:

been delayed arriving into Costa Maya before while we waited for an older ship without azipods to attempt to dock.  It was an MSC ship and it took them forever to reach the pier fighting the winds.  Once they were secure we popped in with ease, the magic of azipods working in our favor.

Which begs the question “Which RC ships have azipods”? If you know. TIA

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:40 AM, twangster said:

Costa Maya routinely takes three ships or four smaller ships.  Lately there has been construction material at the end of the pier so probably limited to three ships at the moment.

However not all ships can use all berths so it's possible their designated position wasn't available.  

I've been delayed arriving into Costa Maya before while we waited for an older ship without azipods to attempt to dock.  It was an MSC ship and it took them forever to reach the pier fighting the winds.  Once they were secure we popped in with ease, the magic of azipods working in our favor.  

Allure's propulsion issue impacts top speed which she can still make just with a lot of vibrations.  She wouldn't need full power to dock, that's more of a finesse operation but if she did need full power briefly she could do it.

In the case of Anthem in Antigua the high winds were causing us to be at an angle in the narrow channel leading to the port.  The "crab" angle was such that we used the entire width of the channel eliminating any safety margin.  Two other ships, one NCL and one Princess didn't even try in Antigua, they just sailed past.  Anthem tried to make it but had to call it off as we approached the narrowest part of the channel.  Captain Srecko and the CD recorded a video that explained in detail the attempt and challenge that caused us to skip.  It's the first time Anthem has had to skip Antigua.

I cant remember what their last port was going to  be....but I hope you guys made it as you're now headed back towards the cold!!

8 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I cant remember what their last port was going to  be....but I hope you guys made it as you're now headed back towards the cold!!

Great days in St Lucia and St Kitts.  Some brief rain clouds moved through but then sunny again 10 minutes later.

We're rocking and rolling this morning but that should lessen somewhat by this evening if the wind forecasts are right.

Just now, monctonguy said:

Glad you made those stops....crazy how rough the seas have been the past mth or two...I don't remember since I started cruising hearing about it this often. I know our cruise in Nov the first 3 days were like that as well..first time ever for me.

I haven't ether, but a friend of mine who vacations in the Caribbean twice a year for the last 20 years says it is normal. She calls these winds Christmas winds and says they are prevalent in Dec. and Jan. I think she said she learned this from the locals on Anguilla.