Not getting off the ship in Nassau?

We never get off in Nassau. Been there so many times. We enjoy a half empty ship! Lol 

We’ve done the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon. That was fun. 

I remember hearing that one of the resorts close to the port offer a day pass. Includes use of the beach, lunch and 2 drinks. I want to say it’s the British Colonial but don’t quote me on that! 

Just saw a video the other day about how the entire port area is going to be revamped. It needs something. They need to get a handle on the crime too. 

2 minutes ago, Jill said:

I remember hearing that one of the resorts close to the port offer a day pass. Includes use of the beach, lunch and 2 drinks. I want to say it’s the British Colonial but don’t quote me on that! 

Yes, you are correct. It's a Hilton property, and when we were there in 2015, we were very pleased. The food & drinks were good. The grounds were beautiful and it was an easy walk. The beach is small, however.

9 minutes ago, l9dance said:

I am going on Navigator of the Seas next week and debating what to do in Nassau. Suggestions on what to do on land or on board are appreciated! We have been to Atlantis once before and nothing else on land looks appealing but I am open to ideas!

I usually go ashore if the weather is good. Many things to do but not knowing your interest it's hard to suggest something. Queens staircase, fish fry, potters cay, Governor's house are a few. Transportation is cheap if you use the Jitneys. It's really a great port in my opinion, yes I'm aware that I'm in the minority on that on this board..

3 hours ago, l9dance said:

I am going on Navigator of the Seas next week and debating what to do in Nassau. Suggestions on what to do on land or on board are appreciated! We have been to Atlantis once before and nothing else on land looks appealing but I am open to ideas!

We are going stopping at Nassau on Oasis in May and we almost immediately said we are staying on the ship. We have never stayed on the ship in port and want to try it. We also do not find any excursions appealing, and the excursions are expensive, plus we heard and saw in You Tube videos that if you just get off and explore the hawkers are very aggressive. Perfect situation to just enjoy an empty Oasis.

3 hours ago, l9dance said:

IMHO, Nassau is a trash dump. A day onboard a 1/2 empty ship is a great day!

I guess it depends on what you like to do?

We don't do excursions at any port normally..but we still like to get off the ship, explore on our own..hit a local bar, beach  or restaurant for a bit...

But the ship is always less busy on port days..so good chance to do or check out some things that normally are way too busy to enjoy or try.

Just back, we enjoyed our walk up to the Queen's Staircase and the fort. Great walk to combat the cruise cocktails. Our boys (17&20) haven't ever seen the underside of a developing nation. It was a good cultural experience to walk the streets of Nassau and get a better appreciation for how the world works.  We were very comfortable and people were very friendly. Now we don't wear expensive clothing or have flashy jewelry or cameras and carried just a little bit of cash. I was also close to my family and was tuned in to our environment. The hawkers were only present around the ship, once you leave the straw market it was fine.  We were off the ship at 8:00AM and back by 10:00AM. Enough time to stretch the legs and enjoy an empty ship. As with all this kind of advice "whatever floats your boat."

Last time we went to Nassau we got off and grabbed a taxi to John Watlings distillery and took a tour (historic place) and then went to the cigar place to watch them hand roll cigars and then wandered through town back to the port, picking up a few souvenirs.  We were only off the ship a few hours but it was nice and inexpensive.  We really don't do excursions there and may stay on the boat next time as we have been here multiple times.

We got of the ship during my 1st cruise on DCL.  We took a drive and saw an old fort where a staw market was running.  We then went to a botanical garden whose main attraction was "dancing flamingos".  False advertising.  The gardens and the animals were nice and I enjoyed that part.  The flamingo show was more of a guy herding flamingos.  I am glad I got off the ship, I experienced a new place.  I had a local beer.  I am satisfied not to get off the ship in Nassau again.  The vendors near the ship were overly aggressive, to the point of making my wife uncomfortable.  I remember a bar/restaurant being mentioned on here that is right when you get off of the ship.  I read good things about it so I might give that a whirl for lunch the next time we sail through there.  That's about it.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:20 PM, l9dance said:

Concur with @Jill that the port needs something.  Beware of high winds -- that would motivate me to stay on the ship.  Also, if you snorkel, avoid the cheap excursions that overload the small boats.  We found it difficult to enjoy because of the crowd in the water.  Have a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...

we are going in March 2020 on the Anthem, very over Nassau but saw some reviews for Blue Zone Massage Services on Junkanoo Beach.  No appointments so first come basis but they open at 10am and massage rates are lower than onboard and you have a view of the beach.  That is my plan.  My friends arent leaving the ship as they call that beach Junkapoo!  But a 90 minute massage on the beach for $110 USD sounds good to me.  it's only around a 10 minute walk for a healthy adult.  Have fun no matter where you end up