Stateroom Hacks

SteveinSC

33 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We also take a few gallon zip lock bags and get ice from our room Stuart.

I'm not sure how your autocorrect came up with Stuart instead of (I assume) steward but this was pretty hilarious.

24 minutes ago, SPS said:

Not exactly a stateroom hack, but, we bring an empty mesh backpack in my suitcase with us for taking water, towels, sunscreen, etc. on excursions.

We do this as well. Sort of. We have a mesh beach bag for the beach and for the pool, and I've got one of those backpacks that fold up into a small pouch for excursions

On 1/9/2020 at 3:00 PM, Chmusar said:

I take a small magnetic light with movement sensor put it near my bed so I can see to get to toilet.

That is such a great idea! On Mariner last month I managed to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but on my way back to my bed, my face smacked to the back of the TV that was swung out and I busted my lip good! Lights are at top of the list for our next trip.

Just now, Grabthars Hammer said:

Makes sense ? For some reason I thought it was maybe a thin overlay of magnetic material over the walls, not the walls themselves. Thanks so much!

Youre welcome. Watch a documentary on building a cruise ship on YouTube sometime. Amazing and fascinating stuff. Also, welcome to the forum! 

On 1/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, sk8erguy1978 said:

Requesting a fan!

Did it for the first time last cruise, not sure if it was because we were in a Grand Suite, but the request was approved quickly. Helped for sleep noise and kept the room cool at night (I find it starts to get warm in the middle of the night). 

My fist cruise is coming up, how would I request a fan? 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:40 PM, SassMaster said:

I bought these magnets.  They are supposed to hold 40lbs.  I tried it on the fridge and it wouldn't even hold an empty water bottle.  Is the metal different in the room versus on the fridge?  Should I return them?

Generally, the "40lbs" rating is for the magnet attached to a solid, flat piece of steel, and 40 lbs pulling it perpendicular to the steel. e.g. magnet on the ceiling with a 40lb weight hanging from it.

As soon as you apply force in any other direction, the load capacity is reduced.

I have similar magnetic hooks with a 48lb rating, and struggle to pull them off without any sideways motion.

Make use of that EU plug in the room with this...

Syncwire 34W 4-Port USB Wall Charger, Multi-Port [Foldable US Plug] Travel Power Adapter with Interchangeable UK/EU Plug for Apple iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Android Phones, Tablets & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011KPRE1G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_oxriEb27XPWD5

On 1/13/2020 at 11:20 PM, Dan Curtis said:

We have started picking up some Lysol at a Walgreens or someplace after arriving the night before cruise. Never know if someone had a cold or flu in room before you.

It's a great idea. We get disinfectant wipes from the dollar store and use them on the plane as well.