Stateroom Hacks

SteveinSC

If you have a balcony room...A hammock

Highlighters...Excellent to plan out your next day activities in your cruise planner.

One of them over the door shoe holder things.

If you have a Harbor Freight close to you...Great place to get your magnets and magnetic clips.

Swivel Swing Magnetic Hook 55LB【 New Upgraded】

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Refrigerator-Magnetic-Neodymium-Upgraded/dp/B07QSJ6Q72?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_16412731_4&pf_rd_p=e8239831-13ce-5aa9-8677-55f8a437c14b&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=16412731&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=34WVCKMFHEGQ6NHD6W7E&pf_rd_r=34WVCKMFHEGQ6NHD6W7E&pf_rd_p=e8239831-13ce-5aa9-8677-55f8a437c14b

GREATMAG Magnetic Hooks, 80 lbs Heavy Duty Magnet Hooks

https://www.amazon.com/GREATMAG-Magnetic-Powerful-Neodymium-Diameter/dp/B07C7VK2TZ?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_16412731_2&pf_rd_p=e8239831-13ce-5aa9-8677-55f8a437c14b&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=16412731&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=FFXPTWZ2SAD13V4C9XAZ&pf_rd_r=FFXPTWZ2SAD13V4C9XAZ&pf_rd_p=e8239831-13ce-5aa9-8677-55f8a437c14b

Cruise Tags, Narrow Luggage Etag Holder Zip Seal Steel Loops for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises 8 Pack

https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Caribbean-Celebrity-Cruises/dp/B07L6BP89Q/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1F9M8UUD22DSO&keywords=royal+caribbean+luggage+tag+holders&qid=1578597060&sprefix=royal+caribbean+%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-9

AmazonBasics 24-Pocket Over-the-Door Hanging Medium-Size Shoe Organizer

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-24-Pocket-Hanging-Medium-Size-Organizer/dp/B07227PWVP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2JV7M2B7AD6PE&keywords=cruise+accessories+must+haves&qid=1578597112&sprefix=cruise+a%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ1MyS0dHWVJVWFNSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDI4MzE0UVEzUU1MQVROVUJZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5Nzg3NDcxSVBEOTlOVFVIWkVDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Danmu Colorful Beach Towel Clips

https://www.amazon.com/Danmu-Colorful-Beach-Towel-Loungers/dp/B01IEN6AQM/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2JV7M2B7AD6PE&keywords=cruise+accessories+must+haves&qid=1578597164&sprefix=cruise+a%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-10

16 minutes ago, Sweety said:

Zip lock bags for wet items.

These are a crutch when I travel! I like to divide up items that may leak or whatever. Also keep a few empty quart size ones. They come in handy as extras or to be a good samaritan at the airport for someone who isn't doing 3-1-1 correctly :).

I make up a mini medicine cabinet.  One sleeve each of antihistamine, anti-diarrhea med, gas-x, Pepto-Bismol, Benadryl, Mucinex, etc.  Small bottle of calamine lotion, tube of antibiotic ointment, a few bandages in common sizes, antiseptic wipes, etc.  Mine fits in a small make-up bag.  It is nice to have what you need without paying ship prices, or realizing you need it after the ship store closes.

We bought a 4 pack of magnetic clips at the Dollar Store.  Great for hats, cruise compass, light jacket. 

Giant  plastic clips/clothespins for beach, pool, or balcony chairs (also at Dollar Store).

Also found a mesh laundry bag that "doubled" as a beach bag for towels and a place to put wet clothes on the drive home.

Flashlight.

Highlighter.  I forgot mine last trip and really missed having it.

Not sure how "brilliant" this is...but we take one of our larger suitcases and put it in the closet with the top unzipped and use it as a hamper (just cram the dirty clothes in).  That way when we get home, we just wheel that suitcase into the laundry room and drop it off.  The only thing you have to worry about with this is the weight limit of your bag if you are flying on an airline that has severe weight restrictions (ala Spirit).

22 minutes ago, Buzzard05 said:

Not sure how "brilliant" this is...but we take one of our larger suitcases and put it in the closet with the top unzipped and use it as a hamper (just cram the dirty clothes in).  That way when we get home, we just wheel that suitcase into the laundry room and drop it off.  The only thing you have to worry about with this is the weight limit of your bag if you are flying on an airline that has severe weight restrictions (ala Spirit).

We always have a "dirty bag". We dedicate at least one empty luggage bag to dirty laundry (we rarely wear EVERYTHING we take.....does anyone?). 

2 hours ago, Buzzard05 said:

Man...where were you a week ago with that tip when my razor kept falling to the shower floor and exploding into pieces?  This tip is HUGE!

As we say in Canada, "Sorry". 

And if it makes you feel better, I learned of this tip after a couple of trips and numerous battles with the shelf. 

5 minutes ago, Buzzard05 said:

Another thing I "learned" last week was that if I dry (as much as you can) in that little shower "pod"....then get out quickly and shut the doors right behind you to finish drying...you trap the steam in the "pod" and your mirror doesn't fog up nearly as bad (if at all).

And you could quickly hang up any wrinkled clothes in there to get the wrinkles out....

A hair straightener (flat iron).  I have short hair and do not use it, EXCEPT on cruises.  You cannot take an iron on board, but you can take a hair straightener.  It works in a pinch as an iron to get wrinkles out just like an iron.  If you visualize how a flat iron works, you can see how it will put the crease back into your pants, shirts, etc.  

I use to take Downy release, but always came back with it never opened after I learned about this trick.

For the outdoor sundeck.  A portable sun shade that attaches to your lounge chair.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Portable-Sunshade-providing-Protection/dp/B002E9KSKW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=37PY0JMTBM0HQ&dchild=1&keywords=sun+shade+for+lounge+chairs&qid=1578670332&sprefix=lounge+chair+shade%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1

I also am what my husband calls navigationally challenged when it comes to finding our cabin.  I get a fun magnet for the door this way I can quickly spot our cabin.  We also use this when traveling with a group.  We take the magnet off the door when we enter, and place it back on when we leave.  This way anybody that comes to our cabin, immediately can tell if we are there.  Like this over using a dry erase board.

We had an Ocean View Balcony and it was much larger than I anticipated.  Tons of clever storage, so maybe my hack is that you don't need one. We did use magnetic hooks, a shoe caddy, and night light. The bathroom had a built in night light and the peephole let in enough light to get you to the bathroom door. One great thing dear wifey brought was an airfreshener for the lav. Now that was nice.

I don't like to pack a bunch of things that I end up not using, or that end up being more trouble than their worth, but these I use and I think I got them all on Amazon:

* magnetic hooks by the door to hang lanyards, hats, etc.

* dirty laundry bags 

* battery operated motion-sensor nightlight for the bathroom because I hate turning on the overhead light in the middle of the night

I love the washcloth on the shower ledge idea. I'll try to remember that on our upcoming March cruise.

To help limit clutter and ensure you have enough USB ports for charging everything electronic!

This is NOT considered a powerstrip and will not be confiscated. It's nice and small and I packed it in my carry on with my camera gear, etc.

I got this recommended model and especially like it because it has a detachable power cord which ensures that there will be no outlet clearance issues on the desk in the stateroom (compared to models that have no power cord and must plug directly into an outlet).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P936188/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.a8b3687560abdc65087bfcb01f03782b.png

8 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

To help limit clutter and ensure you have enough USB ports for charging everything electronic!

This is NOT considered a powerstrip and will not be confiscated. It's nice and small and I packed it in my carry on with my camera gear, etc.

I got this recommended model and especially like it because it has a detachable power cord which ensures that there will be no outlet clearance issues on the desk in the stateroom (compared to models that have no power cord and must plug directly into an outlet).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P936188/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.a8b3687560abdc65087bfcb01f03782b.png

I've been looking for a good multiple USB charger. Looks like a good one! Thanks!

1 minute ago, SassMaster said:

I bought these magnets.  They are supposed to hold 40lbs.  I tried it on the fridge and it wouldn't even hold an empty water bottle.  Is the metal different in the room versus on the fridge?  Should I return them?

https://www.amazon.com/CMS-MAGNETICS-Magnetic-Holding-Color/dp/B016Y9IZ3Y/ref=pd_nav_hcs_rp_1/131-6550940-8753735?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016Y9IZ3Y&pd_rd_r=494affe9-e016-422e-a593-bbbe68ad8c1a&pd_rd_w=n1K7G&pd_rd_wg=t1lS4&pf_rd_p=a39cbf92-f4bd-486b-8b34-96be9aa72987&pf_rd_r=BSKPXHV61BEFDT5GTHF0&psc=1&refRID=BSKPXHV61BEFDT5GTHF0

These are the ones I have and they work great: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W2CML8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if this qualifies as it's not something you pack...

As suggested frequently here on the blog... If you purchase the DBP, always ask for bottled water when you order drinks and keep them in your stateroom cooler so you always have cool, filtered water either for drinking or rinsing in your stateroom throughout the cruise.

20 minutes ago, SassMaster said:

I bought these magnets.  They are supposed to hold 40lbs.  I tried it on the fridge and it wouldn't even hold an empty water bottle.  Is the metal different in the room versus on the fridge?  Should I return them?

https://www.amazon.com/CMS-MAGNETICS-Magnetic-Holding-Color/dp/B016Y9IZ3Y/ref=pd_nav_hcs_rp_1/131-6550940-8753735?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016Y9IZ3Y&pd_rd_r=494affe9-e016-422e-a593-bbbe68ad8c1a&pd_rd_w=n1K7G&pd_rd_wg=t1lS4&pf_rd_p=a39cbf92-f4bd-486b-8b34-96be9aa72987&pf_rd_r=BSKPXHV61BEFDT5GTHF0&psc=1&refRID=BSKPXHV61BEFDT5GTHF0

Try them on a thicker metal - the metal on the side of the fridge isn't really all that thick. 

On 1/11/2020 at 8:47 AM, JohnK6404 said:

Not sure if this qualifies as it's not something you pack...

As suggested frequently here on the blog... If you purchase the DBP, always ask for bottled water when you order drinks and keep them in your stateroom cooler so you always have cool, filtered water either for drinking or rinsing in your stateroom throughout the cruise.

We also take a few gallon zip lock bags and get ice from our room Steward.  Fill the gallon bag up with ice and put it in our fridge...Big help in keeping our water cold in the fridge.