Port of Baltimore --- Room for Growth

Here's a question ...... why aren't there more sailings out of Baltimore?

Now, before you say anything, I'm from the Baltimore area so I know the most obvious issue, Bridge Hts.

Most Notably, the Key Bridge (I-695) and the Bay Bridge (US 50/301)...

But one thing is very clear ..... Vision Class Ships will work (we have Grandeur and have had Enchantment).

I am curious, would Radiance class also work here? ....... that's a question for another day....

I guess what got me a bit annoyed was the sale of Splendour.....  We could use that here.

You would think with the MAJOR draw this port could have...

...Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia, Richmond ..... and then go further west..... Pittsburgh, and the Ohio Valley.... they would want to capitalize on it's close proximity to major cities and interstate access (I-95, 70, and to a lesser degree, 81,83 and 68) ...

What's the issue?  The State of Maryland?  The City of Baltimore?

As a Maryland resident, I would love to have more Royal Caribbean cruising options here locally --

Just Sayin....

Thanks for letting me Vent...

Mark

p.s. --- See you in September on Grandeur

Mark, I would love to see more cruises out of Baltimore, too.  I am in northern VA and it is by far the closest port to me.

I think the issue has as much to do with [lack of] itineraries as it does with limitations like the bridge heights.  This is the main reason I don't sail out of NYC/NJ any more than I do.  Where the heck are you going to go ?  As nice as Bermuda is, I am already tired of going there and unless you can commit to 8+ days, you can't even reach the Caribbean from here.

As I have stated many times, I wouldn't care if the darned thing never called on a port EVER.  I just want to ride around on the boat...but cruises to nowhere are apparently prohibited now so it doesn't look like THAT itinerary is in the future.

I think the main problem is there's just nowhere to go unless you want to go to Bermuda or Bah habba.

You would think with the MAJOR draw this port could have...

...Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia, Richmond ..... and then go further west..... Pittsburgh, and the Ohio Valley....

Don't forget the Great Lakes region. From the Detroit area it's not even a days ride to Baltimore.

Exactly Ragman, but WAAAYTOOO may have it right, Baltimore can deliver the people without fail, but where are they going to go? I guess the New England cruises do provide an additional option, but my idea of cruising involves palm trees, not Maine (no offense).

When it comes to size restrictions, it is an issue from Baltimore, especially with the Key Bridge (I-695). Now, what other classes will fit? Not 100% sure, but looking at how close Vision Class gets to the bridges, I doubt very much that anything Voyager Class or larger could fit. Which leaves us with Vision and Radiance Class (I'd be curious if Radiance Class would fit). Now, if the port was east of the Key Bridge, and all you had to deal with was the Bay Bridge, who knows, maybe others could fit.

Have sailed on Brilliance (Radiance class) out of Tampa and it clears the Skyway bridge by about 2-3 feet, not a lot. I have heard but don't know for certain, that the bridge height was determined so that Navy aircraft carriers could enter Tampa Bay when necessary. This was back in the early 1980's. No class larger than Radiance can sail out of Tampa Bay and there is some early discussion here of relocating the cruise terminal west of the Skyway bridge so larger ships can be accommodated. Big bucks there but the older, smaller ships will eventually be phased out.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the Great Lakes region. From the Detroit area it's not even a days ride to Baltimore.

I live near Lansing MI and we did the drive a few years ago when the kids were really young.  We left around 5am and arrived at the hotel in downtown Baltimore at about 4:45pm.  I enjoyed the drive (much more so than flying) and wish more ports were within driving distance of here.

Have sailed on Brilliance (Radiance class) out of Tampa and it clears the Skyway bridge by about 2-3 feet, not a lot. I have heard but don't know for certain, that the bridge height was determined so that Navy aircraft carriers could enter Tampa Bay when necessary. This was back in the early 1980's. No class larger than Radiance can sail out of Tampa Bay and there is some early discussion here of relocating the cruise terminal west of the Skyway bridge so larger ships can be accommodated. Big bucks there but the older, smaller ships will eventually be phased out.

We just returned from a cruise on Vision yesterday.  We spent a couple of days in the downtown Tampa area.  What a lovely city!  I also enjoyed sailing out of the port - it was very efficient and organized IMHO.  

Really enjoyed your report on your Vision cruise. We took the identical cruise 15 months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the Radiance class a little better but Vision is also very nice. Glad you enjoyed your brief stay in Tampa Bay, we live on the other side of the bay so we see the cruise ships leaving in the evening shortly before they go under the Skyway Bridge. If you haven't been on deck when the ship cruises under that bridge, you will really enjoy it and your children will love it!

Tampa is a wonderful port from which to cruise and very efficient but we cruised this past February out of Port Canaveral and it was even better! The new RCL terminal makes embarkation about a 5-10 minute experience.

Tampa is a wonderful port from which to cruise and very efficient but we cruised this past February out of Port Canaveral and it was even better! The new RCL terminal makes embarkation about a 5-10 minute experience.

I agree with you regarding Tampa.  It's a great port to sail from, to spend a couple of days precruise, and a great, scenic sail away.

I live in NOVA and Baltimore is my closest port. We've enjoyed cruising on Lady G many times, but I would infidelity support more alternatives for cruising out of Baltimore. I especially like the idea of a Radiance Class sailing from Baltimore!

But I agree with whats been said ... mainly the lack of available destinations for a 7-day cruise itinerary limits options. While many would  not mind simply going out to sea, that plan probably would likely not fill ships consistently.