Musical changes over drydock?

Any precedent for Royal Caribbean changing the featured musical over an extended drydock?

That seems like it would be the only chance to swap out Props, Casts, Redo Tech...

Given upcoming Royal Amplification schedule was hoping for a new show on Liberty of the Seas in 2021...

Unlikely.  There are significant costs to moving a broadway show from ship to ship. When Quantum went to Asia it took over a month to break down the set and ship it out.  

Broadway shows are licensed from the organizations that own the rights to the show.  There are massive costs to licensing a show and then adapting it for a ship stage.  Few shows adapt well and in some cases the changes to set pieces won't be allowed by the content owners.  Even minor changes to set or props are tightly controlled.   

It's been said it's cheaper to move a ship to a new home port than it is to change the show.  

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

I agree that it is unlikely. Thus far, no Royal Amplifications have coincided with a Broadway show change.

Any idea how long the contracts are usually for? I’ll defer to your Broadway loving wife, but it seems there’s a ton of new broadway shows that they’re missing out on that are much fresher and newer. 
NCL put Kinky Boots on Encore and Six on Bliss. 

looks like SNF will be coming up on ten years at the dry dock. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Unlikely.  There are significant costs to moving a broadway show from ship to ship. When Quantum went to Asia it took over a month to break down the set and ship it out.  

Broadway shows are licensed from the organizations that own the rights to the show.  There are massive costs to licensing a show and then adapting it for a ship stage.  Few shows adapt well and in some cases the changes to set pieces won't be allowed by the content owners.  Even minor changes to set or props are tightly controlled.   

It's been said it's cheaper to move a ship to a new home port than it is to change the show.  

Interesting. I didn't know this bit of information. Thanks!

Choosing a broadway show has its own set of challenges.  Chicago received a number of complaints because it was too risque for some family cruisers.  

Lately Royal has been investing in developing its own entertainment such as Flight and the Show Girls themed shows on many ships.  Flight is one of the most demanding shows for the backstage crew requiring a higher number of them compared to many other shows due to rigging and the number of aerial items.  

Royal entertainment and casting all the shows is a massive operation.  

If you ever get the chance, take in a backstage theater tour.  They are very informative.

Some great insights to my question...

I do want it both ways though...

Keep Mamma Mia on Allure of the Seas after drydock in 2021 when it arrives in Galveston...

Get rid of Saturday Night Fever on Liberty of the Seas after drydock in 2021 and it returns to Galveston... With this ship spending so much time out of this port and repeat cruisers... been there done that is becoming an issue for onboard entertainment...

It seems like the licensed shows have to have an end date in the contract.  

Was on Freedom of the Seas in 2014 and don't remember them presenting a 'licensed' show... Recent Cruise Compass for FotS indicate this is still the case...

Independence of the Seas has Grease...

55 minutes ago, twangster said:

Choosing a broadway show has its own set of challenges.  Chicago received a number of complaints because it was too risque for some family cruisers.  

Lately Royal has been investing in developing its own entertainment such as Flight and the Show Girls themed shows on many ships.  Flight is one of the most demanding shows for the backstage crew requiring a higher number of them compared to many other shows due to rigging and the number of aerial items.  

Royal entertainment and casting all the shows is a massive operation.  

If you ever get the chance, take in a backstage theater tour.  They are very informative.

Yeah I can see Chicago getting complaints. Mamma Mia has some mature themes, but the risque factor is way lower than Chicago.

I love the "Inside Baseball" info you're doling out. And yeah, I might have to take in a backstage tour. Some of the technical stuff is as fascinating as the on stage product.

24 minutes ago, Scatmanjack said:

Keep Mamma Mia on Allure of the Seas after drydock in 2021 when it arrives in Galveston...

I can't imagine Mamma Mia going away so soon after it debuted on Allure, so you're safe there. 

40 minutes ago, Scatmanjack said:

Get rid of Saturday Night Fever on Liberty of the Seas after drydock in 2021 and it returns to Galveston... With this ship spending so much time out of this port and repeat cruisers... been there done that is becoming an issue for onboard entertainment...

Anthem frequent cruisers have the same thoughts on We Will Rock You despite it being a fantastic show.

It's quite common for 50% to 60% of a ship to be new, never cruised Royal before.  So while it's "boring" for return guests, there are still thousands on each sailing that haven't seen any show.

It's not just the licensing fees.  Once they have a show up and running it's much cheaper to keep it going compared to developing a new show and having to cast for a new show.  At any given moment the Royal entertainment studios have hundreds and hundreds of cast getting ready to be moved to a ship. 

With twenty six ships and more coming there is constant crew changes and the entertainment casts are the only onboard positions that come and leave together as a team.  Some don't come back, some get injured, some get pregnant.  It's a huge effort scouring the world for the right cast for each role.  

When you throw a new production into the equation its massively disruptive to that workflow.  It's a lot easier to cast for a show that's well known and predictable.

1 hour ago, KWong said:

Yeah I can see Chicago getting complaints. Mamma Mia has some mature themes, but the risque factor is way lower than Chicago.

27 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Grease has that huge unwed teen pregnancy theme, aside from the main character changing herself into a scantily-clad POA to land a man. You'd think that would be just as offensive to these "family-minded" people as husband killers. ? 

Let's get some Sondheim up in here, RCCL

Never fear..folks do complain about Grease's "mature" themes as well!

2 hours ago, Scatmanjack said:

Some great insights to my question...

I do want it both ways though...

Was on Freedom of the Seas in 2014 and don't remember them presenting a 'licensed' show... Recent Cruise Compass for FotS indicate this is still the case...

Independence of the Seas has Grease...

Sounds like what might be better for you for their to be a better ship rotation. Liberty spends a ton of time in Galveston.