Dealing with Noisy Neighboring Cabin

Va4fam

We loved our cruise on Anthem last week.  Crew was great, ship was beautiful, everything was great....EXCEPT for the people in the cabin next to ours.

Apologies in advance if this involves anyone on this forum.

There were 2 and sometimes 3 young men staying in the cabin next to ours.  Probably 18-22 years old.   Never heard a peep from their cabin all day but every night at 3 or 4 am, they would come in and proceed to slam doors, move furniture, open/close the balcony door repeatedly, wrestle on the floor, dribble a ball against the wall, and be very, very LOUD.  After about 60-90 minutes of shenanigans, they would go to sleep, or leave.   After waking us up the first two nights, we called guest services to see if there was anything they could do.   They suggested to call them the next time it happened. 

We ran into the father of one of the young men entering the cabin one evening and told him about the issue.  He said he would take care of it. 

The neighbors on the other side of us, and the opposite side of the noisy cabin told us they heard the noises too.

Things improved for one night but got progressively worse the rest of the cruise.

We called guest services two nights in a row and were placed on hold but never got to speak to anyone.

The last night of the cruise, the young men came back to the cabin at 11 pm, seemed to be intoxicated (audio cues only).  One young man indicated he could not wait for the bathroom and was going to "use the balcony" as his personal restroom.   They went out quickly but resumed the noise at 4 am. 

We received an apology from RCI for the incident but are concerned that no additional measures were taken to minimize the disruption to us and our neighbors.  We have never experienced inconsiderate neighbors before and wondering if anyone else has and what you did to resolve.  I detailed the account in the post-cruise survey with RCI but should we pursue it further?

Not much that you can do now that you are off the ship.  In the future, if you feel that Guest Services is not much help, see if you can meet with the hotel director.  If you are in a suite or Diamond member, you can also see if you can voice your complaints to the concierges.

Had something similar happen to us on a previous cruise. Neighbours were nice but LOUD around 11pm when the (then) little ones were trying to sleep (I think they were video chatting with someone). I asked nicely once to please keep it down and when it didn't stop I went to guest services. They sent a team to listen and confirm the noise. I could still hear them afterwards but it was noticeably toned down. So that was fine for us  

In your scenario I think your options are basically talk to the hotel director or keep going to guest services. Not sure what else you could peacefully do with noisy kid neighbours on-board. 

I would understand smaller kids or even routine noises but these young men were aware they were disturbing others and didn't care.   They made a point to talk about it in front of us when we passed them in the hallway and in front of Sorrento's.  

I am sorry that you had to deal with such an issue on your cruise.

I would not have put up with that behavior for an entire cruise or being put on indefinite hold with Guest Services.  First night of the cruise - ok - I remember my first beer too.  From the 2nd night on - GS or Security better be at the neighbor's door to deal with it.  I would also be noting the names of everyone who I interacted with at that point.  If the neighbors are waking you up, your cruise has already been negatively affected.  Standing in line at GS to discuss with Management is a small (additional) price to pay to get it resolved.  I know for a fact that the line at GS in very short at 3am.

If the issue wasn't resolved onboard, but you had names of everyone you spoke with - mentioning it on the survey or an email to Miami would have had more weight.  Once you are off the ship there is nothing to be done.  

I don't know what day you spoke with the father, however, I would have mentioned to GS that you knew a father of one of the young men was onboard.

From the Guest Conduct Policy:

Parental and Guardian Responsibility For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A young adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19 or 20. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in the company of their minor(s) and young adult(s). Under no circumstances should the parent or guardian of a minor debark the ship without their accompanying minor(s) or without having made arrangements for the accompanying minor(s) appropriate supervision on the ship during their absence.

Perhaps we should have been more proactive with the issue.   Had hoped between the father interaction, guest services, and common courtesy, the situation would have been resolved.  Lesson learned.

Unfortunately it was the only real blemish on our Holiday cruise (and the 2 other cabins that were also subject to noise).     I wonder if RCI will take our guest survey comments and reach out to us or if they use it strictly for feedback.

I am glad that the issue didn't ruin your holiday.  Whether RC reaches out to you is anyone's guess.

There has to be a bit of give and take while on a vacation along side lots of different people from different cultures, upbringings and ways of doing things - all stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean.  Being able to roll with the stuff that inevitably happens is part of travelling, but most people understand there is a limit.  IMHO, disrupting at least 3 neighboring cabins on a ship went over that line.

As I finish preparing for a cruise that leaves this Saturday, I am now unpacking the ball I was going to dribble and bounce off the walls of my cabin so I don't disturb my neighbors.  Thanks for the reminder to be kind and considerate.  :8_laughing:

2 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Perhaps we should have been more proactive with the issue.   Had hoped between the father interaction, guest services, and common courtesy, the situation would have been resolved.  Lesson learned.

Unfortunately it was the only real blemish on our Holiday cruise (and the 2 other cabins that were also subject to noise).     I wonder if RCI will take our guest survey comments and reach out to us or if they use it strictly for feedback.

What you did really should've been the end of it. Unfortunately you got saddled with some unsavory types.

I do not like inconsiderate people. In a case like this I may have tolerated it once, maybe twice. Then I would have put on my pants and confronted them. Nothing weird or aggressive .. just an "OK guys, I know you are here to have a good time, but the next time you wake me up in the middle of the night, you, me and security are going to have a talk, so how bout showing some respect?" I'm a pretty big guy that lifts weights even if I am a bit over the hill and have a few years experience dealing with obnoxious people as a first responder. This usually produces results. If that is not your 'cup of tea' I would just call security directly. That is their job.

In the future call guest services and tell them to send security.  Don't ask them, tell them.  

I had a similar issue on a recent cruise.  Upon the first call to GS, GS called their cabin and told them to be quiet.  I heard the phone ring and it got quiet for 30 seconds before they ramped it up again.  My next call to GS wasn't as polite and I directed them to send security.  Security appeared wearing body cameras to document the incident.  

All you can do is to escalate your calls.  Late at night the lowly GS person probably isn't very senior.  They may not want to deal with it.  Don't let that stop you.  Ask to speak to the GSM (Guest Services Manager) .  When they hear you use their lingo like "GSM" they'll know you are not new to this game.  In the morning talk to the deck supervisor.  They themselves may or may not be in a position to do anything but the more senior staff involved the more they'll know it's heading up the chain of command. 

None of them want the Hotel Director involved in a matter that should have been dealt with at a lower level but engaging the HD is the nuclear option.  If you have to go there, having engaged the deck supervisor, GS and GSM will usually work in your favor.   The ship in general doesn't want this going on, you just need to get around any junior guest services personnel that don't know or don't want to handle it.

Call Security (or insist Guest Services does) that's their job to handle these situations. I personally wouldn't confront them directly (or recommend anyone else does either). The last thing you need is to get into a physical altercation and possibly be removed from the ship.

We had friends in our cabin to finish last call drinks (so 2 or 3 AM) on our balcony on the last night of the cruise. We weren't being 21 years old obnoxious, but talking loud and taking photos with our new friends. Our neighbors didn't appreciate the volume and Security knocked on our door. They politely asked us to lower the volume. We apologized and that was the end of it.

11 hours ago, Va4fam said:

I would understand smaller kids or even routine noises but these young men were aware they were disturbing others and didn't care.   They made a point to talk about it in front of us when we passed them in the hallway and in front of Sorrento's.  

Millennial's....go figure......rude, don't care about authority, think the world owes them something.......doesn't surprise me.

That being said...surprising you could hear things that clearly. I have done 14 cruises now, and never experienced that. The only time ever we heard noise was on Harmony the last night..the room beside us they were packing up and had 5 little kids in the room and it was noisy......but that's the only time, and it was muffled.

Perhaps cause we always have inside rooms it makes a difference noise why or we have just been lucky?!

That being said..I would have escalated things VERY quickly if I had to put up with that for more than 1 evening.......

50 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Millennial's....go figure......rude, don't care about authority, think the world owes them something.......doesn't surprise me.

Stop ?  ? isn't a millenial thing, it's a young person thing. You'll always find these types of issues with the younger set, no matter which generation they're from.

From a Gen X-er

17 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Stop ?  ? isn't a millenial thing, it's a young person thing. You'll always find these types of issues with the younger set, no matter which generation they're from.

From a Gen X-er

Difference being...if/when I did it once when I was young..I was disciplined by  my parents and didn't do it again.....and would be too scared to probably do this in the first place. Nowadays, not so much.....

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Difference being...if/when I did it once when I was young..I was disciplined by  my parents and didn't do it again.....and would be too scared to probably do this in the first place. Nowadays, not so much.....

Agree with both of yall about millenials/gen-xers.  I can only speak for myself.....but, me, at 21-22.....I was the kid coming in at 3am, drunk, loud and obnoxious.  BUT.....if someone told me to pipe down, I laughed, apologized, and drunkenly hushed everyone else till we fell asleep, or moved the party elsewhere. 

As for the original post....yeah, NOW....this doesnt fly.  It happens one night.....and thats it. I dont stop escalating until the problem is gone. Hate you had to deal with it and applaud your patience, and kind nature in apologizing to them if they see this.    

9 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

I do not like inconsiderate people. In a case like this I may have tolerated it once, maybe twice. Then I would have put on my pants and confronted them. Nothing weird or aggressive .. just an "OK guys, I know you are here to have a good time, but the next time you wake me up in the middle of the night, you, me and security are going to have a talk, so how bout showing some respect?" I'm a pretty big guy that lifts weights even if I am a bit over the hill and have a few years experience dealing with obnoxious people as a first responder. This usually produces results. If that is not your 'cup of tea' I would just call security directly. That is their job.

I was prepared to politely discuss with them but guest services asked us to not confront them and let them handle it.  I can confidently say GS did not do a very good job of "handling it." As I stated earlier, we told the father of one of the boys and he most likely told them the source of the complaint.  

@Twangster-that's good advice to go up the chain of command.   We did what GS asked us to do and called when the noise started at 3 AM.  Unfortunately nobody picked up the phone two nights in a row.   I believe my wife said they called the following morning to apologize they  didn't promptly respond at the time of the call.   I had a talk with guest services that evening but they indicated not much they can do until the noise happens again. Oh, and that they were very sorry for our inconvenience.  

7 hours ago, monctonguy said:

That being said...surprising you could hear things that clearly. I have done 14 cruises now, and never experienced that. The only time ever we heard noise was on Harmony the last night..the room beside us they were packing up and had 5 little kids in the room and it was noisy......but that's the only time, and it was muffled.

Perhaps cause we always have inside rooms it makes a difference noise why or we have just been lucky?!

That being said..I would have escalated things VERY quickly if I had to put up with that for more than 1 evening.......

The rooms were adjoining rooms (locked of course) and their balcony opened up right next to ours.   I'm not a ship designer, but I'm assuming most cabins aren't made to prevent the sound of bouncing a basketball against walls or wrestling on the floor.   We definitely asked our neighbors to make sure we weren't being hyper sensitive and they assured us they heard everything we did except for the loud voices.   Everyone heard them when they were on the balcony.  

Yeah...I am sure nothing is 100% sound proof....guess I have been lucky so far.

That being said, I wouldn't have stopped till something was done...either they move or I move.....or they shut up..or there would be some financial compensation coming to me one way or another.

For them to talk about you and make fun while your at Sorrento's show's just what kinda obnoxious, inconsiderate, immature, non-disciplined, rude, arrogant millennial's those kids were........

It's unfortunate that Guest Services didn't provide you (a guest) with any service in this regard.

Once it continued without relief, I would have been inclined to retaliate in kind by waking them during their down time (i.e. what most of us consider awake time during mid- to late morning). Loudly banging on their door and leaving before they have time to respond might work (although it may also disturb others) and repeatedly calling their cabin phone from wherever you happen to be on the ship would do the trick (unless they somehow figured out that you can just disconnect the phone from the jack - something they may not be familiar with given their age).

On 1/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, Va4fam said:

.... called when the noise started at 3 AM.  Unfortunately nobody picked up the phone two nights in a row.   ....

Sorry but if I'm awaken at that time of the morning and GS did not answer the phone, I would have been standing in front of their counter, and they would have known I was there.

@HeWhoWhoWaits, Given their snarky attitudes, we thought (at the time) that retaliation would probably escalate the situation.    They also appeared intoxicated when we saw them out and about, so there's that.

IHMO, we could have been more assertive with Guest Services each time it happened, but at 3 or 4 am, I'm not always thinking clearly.

Guest Services SHOULD HAVE done more to assist us.   That's why I was curious if I should reach out to RCI now (we got back a week ago) and see if might offer a post-cruise resolution.  if they do, what would be a reasonable request?   

One reasonable request would be to ask for assurance that Guest Services, regardless of time of day, will be much more responsive to security requests. They failed, in my opinion. I doubt you'll receive any remuneration post cruise, but an assurance by RCCL would be a reasonable request.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very sorry you had to endure this rude behavior. The ineptness of the GS really doesn't help. I'm not sure if this is an option , but another thing RCCL could do, since they know the cabin number is see if they cause further problems on future cruises. If this behavior continues then possibly  ban them?  I'm not suggesting to immediately ban guests either, but when a guest causes problems a message needs to be sent.  They obviously didn't take any of the " warnings" seriously.