My experience with MyCruise Points Visa redemption

Okgladgal

I've had the Bank of America RC Visa for many years (I know, it's not the best, but it's what I have). Many of the points were going to expire this year so I thought what better time to plan a cruise ? I had enough for $500 OBC. Redeeming them on the MyCruise Points page was simple but getting them applied to my booked cruise was not. I called RC customer service and was told by two different reps the points absolutely could not be applied to the cruise until "about 2 weeks" before the cruise. At that time, they would appear in my cruise planner and I could use them. Ok, but I'm a crazy planner and wanted it applied today, not in three months so I could continue planning. I ended up calling the Visa redemption number at 1-888-305-4626 and told the rep I would like my points applied to my booked cruise as soon as possible. After being on hold off and on for 15 minutes, he told me they would be applied this afternoon. I logged on about an hour later and the OBC was there!  The rep told me if I needed to redeem more, to call them instead of doing it online and requesting it to be added to the reservation.  I hope this info helps someone.

17 minutes ago, mworkman said:

I've use the RC visa points twice for $500 each time with no problem.  However this last trip we didn't spend it all and $87 went back to the card shortly after our trip was over.

I guess I wouldn't say I had a problem, just that I couldn't apply the credit to my reservation immediately. And again, calling the redemption center instead of using the online option would have expedited the process. It's good to know if there is any leftover, they'll apply it back to the card.

17 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I wonder if it's a new thing because I've not yet had this issue. It's been available to use as soon as it shows up, the last time it was a matter of hours from redemption and still months out until the cruise.

I was told it wouldn't show up until 2 weeks before my cruise. 

14 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'd be much more likely to use my card for OBC if I had access to it well before 2 weeks prior to sailing.  I typically have everything booked and paid for prior to 90 days out, so I never have anything to use the OBC for after that.

Exactly my point. A phone call to redeem the points and asking them to be applied to the reservation immediately is what I'll do next time.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'd be much more likely to use my card for OBC if I had access to it well before 2 weeks prior to sailing.  I typically have everything booked and paid for prior to 90 days out, so I never have anything to use the OBC for after that.

I'm the opposite when it comes to OBC use. I know that if I have it, I want to save it for when I'm on the ship because it's inevitable that my wife or I will end up buying something while on board. Whether it's a spa treatment, some logo merch, a drink that isn't 100% covered by the drink package... My typical end-of-cruise bill has pretty consistently been $150-$250 (was higher on my last cruise because I skipped buying the Deluxe package).

It'll be the same for my upcoming Celebrity sailing in August. I know that my family and I will easily use whatever OBC I've racked up, especially on a trip as long as this one. So I'll pay for whatever shore excursions I book with them, along with my tips and cruise fare, using that card to max out the points and whatever OBC I can get from them.