Why is price per person much higher when 3 guests??

This is very strange.

I am trying to book a cruise in the Carribean in August.

The price per person is much lower if I check 2 persons as opposed to 2 persons and a 1 year old baby. for example for 2 persons something like 17xx usd for each to which the 2nd guest discount is applied. If I check for three it starts from 28xx pe person and adds the discount.  So basically for 2 it would be 23xx usd and for 3 it would be 43xx, despite the third guest being a baby.

The staterooms are all 182 sqf in both simulations...

What is going on? How can I book this at the same rates as for 2...it's almost double if I add an 1 year old!

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Royal Math...lol

This is probably during their Kids Sail Free promotion..but somehow it costs more.....:35_thinking:.....lol

I don't think so - the OP said she was looking to cruise in August - i have yet to see a kids sail free promo in August.  They usually don't have those for prime sailing months.

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

total sarcasm on my part...sorry you missed it...I thought it was obvious.....@SteveinSC got it I think....lol

It's an ongoing topic with Royal customers...about Royal and their math and "sales".......

Im fluent in sarcasm....I find it helps me navigate the social media world much better. Or at least it feels better because I dont take anyone seriously.  

Cabins for two are plentiful and the most common type of cabin on the ship .  Cabins for three are more scarce.  They sell out faster because there are fewer of them.  

As any cabin type begins to sell the system increases the rate on cabins that are crossing thresholds and selling out.  

You often see this effect on Quantum class ships.  They are mostly balcony cabins with lower numbers of interior and ocean view cabins.  As people book the cheaper interiors they begin to reach a point where they approach being all booked.  Revenue management software automatically adjusts rates based on supply and demand principles.  When 90% of interior cabins are booked (demand is high) it's quite common to see rates increase to the point they are equal to or more than ocean view and sometimes even balcony rates.  Crazy right?  An interior cabin is more than a balcony?  Who would book such a cabin?  The interiors weren't always that price, many people booked them before the interior rates went up.

Like airline seats demand dictates the price.  People often think the rate they see today is the "standard" price of a cabin.  It isn't.  Prices change based on supply and demand principles.  There is no "standard" price for a cruise.  It's fluid.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

total sarcasm on my part...sorry you missed it...I thought it was obvious.....@SteveinSC got it I think....lol

It's an ongoing topic with Royal customers...about Royal and their math and "sales".......

Ok, now i just feel dumb....I should have got that. It’s always the math!!!

Royal Math example ....

"Cruise the Caribbean for a week, Kids sail free!. ONLY $629 based on double occupancy!"

The family of five (Mom, Dad, 3 kids 12 and under) get excited. "All of us can go on a cruise for  about $1258!!!"

Then you find out no room other than some suite will hold five people or it takes two rooms. Then each person including "free" kids have to pay gratuities. Oops ... there is another $500+. Then each person including "free" kids have to pay taxes, fees, port expenses .... Oops ... there is another $1,000+ (paying taxes on 'free'?).

Now the required room upgrade and every thing else amounts to $3,042.12+ with numerous said discounts. Well over twice the "hook" price.

Then of course there is travel expenses etc to consider.

Just doesn't seem fair for young families on a budget to get them excited only to have them find out they can't afford it.

2 hours ago, eugenchivu said:

This is very strange.

I am trying to book a cruise in the Carribean in August.

The price per person is much lower if I check 2 persons as opposed to 2 persons and a 1 year old baby. for example for 2 persons something like 17xx usd for each to which the 2nd guest discount is applied. If I check for three it starts from 28xx pe person and adds the discount.  So basically for 2 it would be 23xx usd and for 3 it would be 43xx, despite the third guest being a baby.

The staterooms are all 182 sqf in both simulations...

What is going on? How can I book this at the same rates as for 2...it's almost double if I add an 1 year old!

Look at the ending price after all adjustments.  Normally, you end up paying for food for your child.  It does depend on itineraries.  Med cruises aren't discounted much for 3rd or 4th person.

42 minutes ago, TravelMommyof2 said:

Please please call in or find a travel agent! If you tell them the age of your child and that you will use the pack n’ play they have as a crib, they can put you in a 2 person room! Cheaper! Can’t do this on the website. You need to actually speak with someone.

So basically this answer my question! All i need to do is to talk to an agent. I am in Europe. Can I just dial the number on the website? Seems like an US number... A pack n play is all we need. The baby is used to sleeping in it from previous travels. A regular 2 persons cabin is enough. But this would mean I can actually book for 2 and ask for a pack n play or I need to talk to them first... 

I ll see what they say. Thx

11 minutes ago, eugenchivu said:

So basically this answer my question! All i need to do is to talk to an agent. I am in Europe. Can I just dial the number on the website? Seems like an US number... A pack n play is all we need. The baby is used to sleeping in it from previous travels. A regular 2 persons cabin is enough. But this would mean I can actually book for 2 and ask for a pack n play or I need to talk to them first... 

Or you could just get yourself a non-Royal Caribeean travel agent.  I believe an agent at M.E.I Travel (sponsor of this blog and many of us use them) could help you. I always just contact them via email.

20 minutes ago, eugenchivu said:

[email protected]

Michelle Cunningham.  She can help you.  She's awesome.

It would definitely be crazy to have to pay more for a baby as the third person in a room. Hopefully Royal or a travel agent can help you out. 

We have learned some lessons about pricing through the years. Last summer, we almost gave up on a Harmony cruise as it was $8,000 for the four of us in a balcony (about a month out). On a whim I checked on two balcony rooms and the total was $5,500. Extra beds, space, and bathroom for $2,500 less and only two rooms apart? Sold!

So crazy, but as it was stated above, there are only so many rooms that can accommodate more than two people. From there it’s all supply, demand, and dynamic pricing. It’s why Matt always recommends booking early. Some of us just don’t have that kind of patience!

35 minutes ago, eugenchivu said:

I have to report back. Michelle was awesome. I went for september and we got some exceptional rates. IN FACT I have booked the cruise and sepparately the plane tickets from Europe and back with the money I could have paid according to the RC website the tickets only. ?

Thank you a lot

YIPPEE !!! So glad it all worked out !