Insomnia on a cruise ship

raeshi

Hey there all! I'm just wondering if anyone else has struggled with lack of sleep or insomnia on a cruise ship. In which case, what do you normally do when its 2am-5am and you've only gotten a few hours of sleep and have to just go through the day (something I'm fairly used to at home, i typically will get on the computer but i won't have Voom this trip)? I'm going on Liberty of the Seas in February (the 2nd! So excited) and I've been struggling with my Sleep Apnea and Insomnia as well as getting used to my new CPAP machine, so I'm trying to figure out things i can do to sneak out of the room in the middle of the night and just destress from lack of sleep. Any venues (specifically on liberty) still open, or anywhere comfortable on the ship to just sit down and listen to some music?

Thanks for the help!

Hello and welcome to the boards. I don't specifically have insomnia, but, I do have a rather early schedule in my "real" life that leads to a tendency to have some very early mornings while on vacation. Meanwhile, my wife will sleep for several more hours. I usually use the time to explore the ship more and actually pay attention to the details that have been added. I realize then how much I haven't really paid attention to the art that has been on board as we usually just kind of pass by it on the way to the next thing.

FYI: As a new CPAP user, I suggest you fill out the RCCL special needs form to have distilled water and an extension cord delivered to your cabin if you have not already done so. This is something I have posted and answered questions about in the past. (Stick with it! CPAP use has changed my life!)

Fill out the special needs form: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do (or send an email to special_needs@rccl.com ) Below is a screenshot of the area you need to fill out.

FYI: Be prepared to have a LARGE extension cord provided. The cord I was given was a heavy gauge cord at least 50 feet in length! ?

Needs Form.jpg

Although I filled out the customer needs form for one cruise, the supplies needed were not in our room yet. A quick conversation with our stateroom attendant had a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord delivered during our dinner service.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! I actually have already filled out the special needs form I'm just waiting for an email back from them. (I'm outside of their "no later than 30 day" window because we booked later than that but I feel like its such a small case it shouldn't be an issue.)

Thanks for the suggestions so far as well! 

I tend to be up early but not due to sleep issues.  It is always nice to just have a walk around while things are quite and less crowded.  Sometimes you notice things that you might not have if there were people moving about.  You may find new shortcuts or hidden little spot if you just explore.  If the weather is nice (tropical or Caribbean cruises) it can be relaxing to just grab a deck chair and lounge.  While it may not be a deep sleep, you may end up catching a few more winks or get to see a beautiful sunrise.  If not, then you can be the first in line for the breakfast buffet!

I too sometimes struggle with insomnia. I’m either up really late, or really early. I will wander the ship and explore, grab a deck chair on the upper decks and try to catch a few more zzzzz’s. I’ll grab some coffee in the AM and head to an upper deck forward and watch the ship come into port, then move to where I can see all the port operations etc. Even though I am tired from the insomnia, I find these times for me to be the most relaxing part of my cruise. It’s peaceful before all the hustle and bustle of awake passengers etc begin.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:18 AM, SPS said:

FYI: Be prepared to have a LARGE extension cord provided. The cord I was given was a heavy gauge cord at least 50 feet in length! ?

He's not kidding - this is what they delivered to us on Ovation.  We actually ended up not having to use it because Ovation has an outlet next to the bed, but at least we had it if we needed it.

Hi, i struggle every single vacation with insomnia. I tend to give in to it and do a LOT of reading during these wee morning hours between 2a and 6a. In fact, i keep a prescription of Ambien filled because i take one the night we get home from our trips. 

Like you, melatonin and Advil PM does nothing for me. I'm wondering if you've tried CBD oil? I take a high quality one that's 33.33mg per dose. That and Benadryl (along with some reading) will usually get me back to sleep once I've woken up about 2 or 3am. It might take a while and maybe i only fall asleep for another 2 to 3 hours, but it usually gets me by. 

On 1/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, raeshi said:

Unfortunately melatonin does little to nothing for me. As well as most sleep medications. I've tried more things than I can explain, to no avail.

I COMPLETELY understand what you are going through, been a Paramedic/Firefighter for 19 years and the constant sleepless nights have done a job on my sleep cycle.  Even taking Ambien CR 12.5mg I STILL wake up between 2-4.  At one point of time I would lay there and try to go back to sleep, anymore I use this time to get up and enjoy the peace and quiet and start jogging with the dog.  I have never been on that particular ship but I can tell you that one of the things that I do is get up and walk the ship, sit on one of the decks near the window and just watch the crew work or watch the sunrise with the waves going by.  Everything is quiet and I consider it my special time on the ship! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 10:33 PM, raeshi said:

Hey there all! I'm just wondering if anyone else has struggled with lack of sleep or insomnia on a cruise ship. In which case, what do you normally do when its 2am-5am and you've only gotten a few hours of sleep and have to just go through the day (something I'm fairly used to at home, i typically will get on the computer but i won't have Voom this trip)? I'm going on Liberty of the Seas in February (the 2nd! So excited) and I've been struggling with my Sleep Apnea and Insomnia as well as getting used to my new CPAP machine, so I'm trying to figure out things i can do to sneak out of the room in the middle of the night and just destress from lack of sleep. Any venues (specifically on liberty) still open, or anywhere comfortable on the ship to just sit down and listen to some music?

Thanks for the help!

I will be on Liberty of the Seas 2/2/2020 I'll be wondering or finding coffee anytime after 5am.  Early Risers unite.

14 minutes ago, Saddie said:

I will be on Liberty of the Seas 2/2/2020 I'll be wondering or finding coffee anytime after 5am.  Early Risers unite.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that you should be able to get coffee at Cafe Promenade.  It won't be anything like Starbucks and will be complementary but I believe that it is open 24 hour a day.  I know that I have gone there plenty of times and gotten water or tea but not coffee ( just not a big coffee drinker). 

• 4 years later...

Threads live forever!🤣

My issue is I have sleeping difficulties at home. But onboard I sleep much better. Even in very heavy seas when I’m getting pushed around, I still seem to sleep a lot better while on a ship.

I asked my doctor, solely in the interest of my health and wellbeing, to write a prescription for me to cruise as much as possible…but my cheapskate insurance company still won’t pay for my cruises. Ba$t@rds!😡