Anthem - "The Gift" Explained

twangster

I've heard a number of people express confusion about "The Gift", an original Royal Caribbean production that runs on Anthem of the Seas.

On board Anthem on channel 14 they run a series of short clips about various things Royal Caribbean.  One of those short clips talks to The Gift and explains the story line.

The Gift is about a family.  The father is a simple man who runs a tug boat.  He and his wife created a beautiful little life with their two children.  The mother passes away leaving the family lost and torn apart.   

The father has lost his way and becomes detached from life and his children.  

The daughter is an adventure seeker.  A young lady looking to live her life but with her father having become disengaged from his children she is left to only dream of her adventures through books and in her mind, detached from her family.

The son is a tinkerer who loves mechanical things and taking things apart.  In the face of losing his mother who gave him direction but now with only his father who is vacant he too is detached from life and from his the family.

The Gift is a story about this family, alive but not living, stuck in their way having lost their matriarch and their journey on stage starting at this point in the story.

The mother in the spirit world sees her family struggling, torn and detached.  She sends her family a gift in the material world.  There is nothing in the gift but it turns the family's life upside down and leads to a series of events that play out on stage in the spirit world.  

The rest of the cast of The Gift live in the spirit world.  Looking closely you will see their makeup is pale and ghost like compared to the father and his children.  They are storytellers in the spirit world helping each member of the family through a series of journeys to find themselves, playing out their dreams, waking them up and re-engaging them with life and back into a family.

Once you understand the plot of the story it makes a lot of sense watching The Gift as it is presented on stage.  It's actually a pretty interesting production with good music and strong production talent.  

5 hours ago, twangster said:

It's explained in the first twenty seconds but so many people are talking or doing something they miss it, it seems. 

Yeah, even after paying attention at the start and getting the gist of the plot, I still left less than halfway through. For me, even understanding that key plot point, I just found the show too disjointed. The song transitions were jarring since it's just a mish-mash of popular songs from the time the show was created, and there's no discernible progression in terms of theme, rhythm, emotion, etc. For me, it felt like the music was picked solely for its use to support the choreography, with no consideration of how it also affects the show. And for me at least, the music is probably one of the biggest factors in how much I like or dislike a show.

I'm probably an outlier with that, though. I spent a lot of my time between grade school and early college learning and studying music (tried to double major in music and biology; music lost); Music just matters a lot to me in a show. I totally get other people's argument when they say that Spectra feels disjointed to them, since the acts don't have any real connection to each other and there isn't even the hint of a plot that The Gift has. But for me, Spectra is a much better show because the music very clearly "fits" into and augments each of the performances, and there's a spoken intro to each that lays out what the idea of each bit is and establishes, "OK, we're making another change now."

Not a fan of the Gift. Spectre on the other hand does change some depending on the cast or some other factors I am not privy too. On our trip at Thanksgiving on Anthem it was a new cast/lead and it was very good. We Will Rock You is decent but I dont find it a show that I have wanted to see more than 2 times.

I do think that RCL needs to look into rotating some of the shows around though. I get the expense and all (its been discussed here before). Personally I would rather see them bring in new talent with new shows a little more often. 

• 3 years later...

Being a musical theatre fan l had to go and see The  Gift on our recent cruise to Norway, and though the plot is confusing l liked it a lot. My frustration was that there was no sort of cast album of it available in any of the shops, as l would have loved to listen to the songs again, and it does not seem to be available anywhere, whereas if you really wanted it there is a We Will Rick You  album because of course It played London. However that wasn’t even available on ship so opportunity missed if you ask me…and it would have made a nice souvenir 

I like all the production shows that I’ve seen on the Anthem.

The only difference between now and pre-pandemic is the lack of aerialists. Spectra is so much better when the performers appear suspended from the openings in the ceiling…and when they rise up out of the floor portals. It really gives the show a sense of awe. It also makes the performances more visible to those not sitting near the front. Having an interpretive-type floor dance by one or two performers is really not a good replacement for the aerial scenes…and difficult to see.

Also, having the aerial performances in the Gift adds to the visual storyline. The dragon and the train are pretty impressive…but it’s still missing some of the ‘wow’ without some of the cast flying. And the bicyclist performance hasn’t been there in awhile. Just pedaling around the stage doesn’t replace the past stunt performance.

I understand that the aerialists were ‘grounded’ because Royal couldn’t get certified riggers. I thought it was a temporary issue. But, after being on the Liberty and seeing the aerial performances there…it seems like there are riggers available. I hope Anthem can get them back.

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

I like all the production shows that I’ve seen on the Anthem.

The only difference between now and pre-pandemic is the lack of aerialists. Spectra is so much better when the performers appear suspended from the openings in the ceiling…and when they rise up out of the floor portals. It really gives the show a sense of awe. It also makes the performances more visible to those not sitting near the front. Having an interpretive-type floor dance by one or two performers is really not a good replacement for the aerial scenes…and difficult to see.

Also, having the aerial performances in the Gift adds to the visual storyline. The dragon and the train are pretty impressive…but it’s still missing some of the ‘wow’ without some of the cast flying. And the bicyclist performance hasn’t been there in awhile. Just pedaling around the stage doesn’t replace the past stunt performance.

I understand that the aerialists were ‘grounded’ because Royal couldn’t get certified riggers. I thought it was a temporary issue. But, after being on the Liberty and seeing the aerial performances there…it seems like there are riggers available. I hope Anthem can get them back.

Thanks for this info, Brian.  I didn't realize they had halted the aerial part of the show(s).  Lack of riggers was the reason (at least, that's what they told us) that they stopped those lovely centrum aerial shows on the Vision class a few years ago.  I got to see exactly 1 before they stopped having them.  It's a shame...that's a big dimension of the Anthem shows that is now missing.

16 hours ago, Paul M said:

My frustration was that there was no sort of cast album of it available in any of the shops

I think the issue is the music isn't owned by Royal Caribbean. They probably have the license to use it, but not to re-sell it.

Quite frankly, I don't think you can figure out the plot of The Gift regardless of how many times you hear the music.

• 3 months later...

I was on AOS last week, we had a get show We will rock you, but the Gift and Spectra's cabaret were confusing and weird. 
I read the APP re “The gift” but as it didn’t have any introduction from the CD, it was very confusing. In fact up to the song, “unwritten” by Natasha Beddingfield, I was completely confused. 
Spectra’s started well with Hit me with your rhythm stick, by Ian Dury then went in a strange direction. Technically it was brilliant, but missed the point, and again, no introduction.

we had one great magician, then another guest artist, David Copperfield. The app had a picture of a top hat and a bunny coming out, but it wasn’t a magic show, it was poor imitation of some singers and disgusting jokes. To say there was a steady stream of audience members leaving, was an understatement, more of a torrent, and he cleared two thirds of the Royal theatre. I think they booked the wrong artist, and going out at 8pm was wrong.

Overall the AOS Entertainment last week was disappointing, poor, lack of any introductory setting the scene, and bar, The Queen musical, we will rock you, terrible.

Many thought the same, as evidenced by the people leaving. 

I think the shows should have an explanation, the introduction which will help, and the APP to be more explanatory.

Being a theme park person originally, The Gift and Spectra's impress me as just higher production value theme park revue shows. (Not higher than Disney's, I would imagine) I get it if people think they want to get what the "Story" is in The Gift. And it IS just an excuse to perform pop songs and use neat stage props. I loved it as a performance and really don't care about the "Story." It's not that kind of show.

We Will Rock You is easy enough to understand, but is leagues more "Silly" and nonsensical than any other show on the ship. But people have less problems accepting it I guess.

People's insistence that they cant follow Spectra's "story" mystifies and annoys me. It has "Cabaret" in the title. a Cabaret show is just a series of singing, dancing and sometimes comedy or variety acts usually hosted by a performer who may also sing or dance. There is NO story. There usually is not even a theme. Folks are spending so much effort to follow a story that is not there.

I feel like they need to change the sign on the screens during the pre-show to "Spectra's Cabaret: There is no story line. Please stop stressing about it and enjoy the performances."

7 minutes ago, teddy said:

This all reinforces the saying “To each their own”

We enjoyed the shows and other entertainment on Anthem earlier this year and can’t wait to back on her in February.

We especially loved “We Will Rock You”. 

Maybe we’re not refined enough? 🤷‍♂️

We love WWRY too.  We've seen it many times but will go and see it every time we get the chance.  Silly storyline ?  Yes....but still fun.

13 hours ago, Al Miller said:

Being a theme park person originally, The Gift and Spectra's impress me as just higher production value theme park revue shows. (Not higher than Disney's, I would imagine) I get it if people think they want to get what the "Story" is in The Gift. And it IS just an excuse to perform pop songs and use neat stage props. I loved it as a performance and really don't care about the "Story." It's not that kind of show.

We Will Rock You is easy enough to understand, but is leagues more "Silly" and nonsensical than any other show on the ship. But people have less problems accepting it I guess.

People's insistence that they cant follow Spectra's "story" mystifies and annoys me. It has "Cabaret" in the title. a Cabaret show is just a series of singing, dancing and sometimes comedy or variety acts usually hosted by a performer who may also sing or dance. There is NO story. There usually is not even a theme. Folks are spending so much effort to follow a story that is not there.

I feel like they need to change the sign on the screens during the pre-show to "Spectra's Cabaret: There is no story line. Please stop stressing about it and enjoy the performances."

Hello.

just re read the whole thread, I can’t see anyone saying, about “A story” re Spectra’s? Which annoys you?  I said, technically good but after the first song went a bit weird. There were teasers that good songs would be sung, but they never then actually used them. Yes no story, never expected it, but with a cabaret, you expect the performance level to stay at the high level of the opening song which promised so much, but the rest didn’t deliver. Again many walk outs in our performance, so something wasn’t engaging with a lot of the audience. When I spoke to our group afterwards, everyone had the same opinion. “It’s a bit weird”.

I agree re “The gift” basically it’s a load of songs strung together. So maybe should be advertised as a concert?

We will rock you, so that is basically a Queen greatest hits, but Ben Elton has written quite a clever story to weave into it, and whilst quite light hearted as Ben’s style, it was easy to follow. It had a better, “link” than “The gift” but some might just go for the song performances. It’s a “known and understood” celebration of Queen. 

14 hours ago, teddy said:

This all reinforces the saying “To each their own”

We enjoyed the shows and other entertainment on Anthem earlier this year and can’t wait to back on her in February.

We especially loved “We Will Rock You”. 

Maybe we’re not refined enough? 🤷‍♂️

WWRY is one of the best shows in the fleet!  However I like the music of Queen so that helps a lot.  

Like Mamma Mia! on Allure, I see WWRY every time even though I've seen it before.