Costa Maya, Belize City & Cozumel --- Beaches?

first time cruiser

Hello all.....I'm set to sail on my first cruise in a few weeks visiting Costa Maya, Belize City and Cozumel.  I'm not really interested in touring any ruins --- did that many years ago in Mexico --- nor do I think I want to do the cave tubing in Belize.  I think I really just want to be on a beautiful white beach looking at clear blue water.  Is it worth booking a beach excursion through Royal Caribbean or is this something I can simply grab a taxi and do on my own?  Suggestions?  All advice is welcome and will be appreciated!

Welcome to the Blog !!!

I am not a fan of Belize City so I don't even get off the ship there.  No help.

For Costa Maya, I recommend that you take the free shuttle from the port into Mahahual (maybe a 5 minute ride) and just find a good place to plop and spend the day.  We always go to the Krazy Lobster (formerly Coco Loco) but most of the places on the beach are basically the same.  They will provide you with a lounger or a chair, ok food and cheap beer.  What's not to love ??  The free shuttle only runs one way so you will have to get a taxi back to the ship but it's not much money.  Can't remember how much.  I'm not sure if they are still having issues with seaweed in CM or not.  I have been lucky and never had any problems with seaweed but I have read many accounts of massive amounts of seaweed washing up on shore and causing icky problems....most notably, stench.  You can always choose to just stay inside the compound in CM too.  It has one of the nicest pier and dock areas of any cruise port I have been to.  The beer and food isn't quite as cheap as out in town, but if they are having seaweed issues at the beach, it might be best just to stay near the port.

There are plenty of places to go in COZ that are close to the port.  If you go to the International Terminal, you can walk to the Grand Park Royal, which is a resort very near that pier.  For a very reasonable amount (I think maybe $40), they will give you all day access to the beach, the pools and facilities.  You have to purchase your own food and beverages but the facilities are very nice.  If you dock downtown (Punta Langosta) you can still reach Grand Park Royal but it's a further walk.  There is really no shortage of beaches to choose from in COZ, especially if you are willing to take a taxi.  We have gone to San Francisco beach, which is a free beach directly next to Paradise Beach, which is a paid beach.  There are lots of all-inclusives in COZ like Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocom.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:45 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

For Costa Maya, I recommend that you take the free shuttle from the port into Mahahual (maybe a 5 minute ride) and just find a good place to plop and spend the day.  We always go to the Krazy Lobster (formerly Coco Loco) but most of the places on the beach are basically the same.  They will provide you with a lounger or a chair, ok food and cheap beer.  What's not to love ??  The free shuttle only runs one way so you will have to get a taxi back to the ship but it's not much money.  Can't remember how much.  I'm not sure if they are still having issues with seaweed in CM or not.  I have been lucky and never had any problems with seaweed but I have read many accounts of massive amounts of seaweed washing up on shore and causing icky problems....most notably, stench.  You can always choose to just stay inside the compound in CM too.  It has one of the nicest pier and dock areas of any cruise port I have been to.  The beer and food isn't quite as cheap as out in town, but if they are having seaweed issues at the beach, it might be best just to stay near the port.

I was in Costa Maya in Aug 2018 - stench wasn't omnipresent, but there was a lot of seaweed. The places along the beach strip were doing the best they could with it, but it was overwhelming, and caused the water to look very murky. Lovely temperature, but not what you want to look at. We went to Tropicante and it was nice. Steve the owner is usually there and available for a chat.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:45 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

There are plenty of places to go in COZ that are close to the port.  If you go to the International Terminal, you can walk to the Grand Park Royal, which is a resort very near that pier.  For a very reasonable amount (I think maybe $40), they will give you all day access to the beach, the pools and facilities.  You have to purchase your own food and beverages but the facilities are very nice.  If you dock downtown (Punta Langosta) you can still reach Grand Park Royal but it's a further walk.  There is really no shortage of beaches to choose from in COZ, especially if you are willing to take a taxi.  We have gone to San Francisco beach, which is a free beach directly next to Paradise Beach, which is a paid beach.  There are lots of all-inclusives in COZ like Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocom.

I've been to Nachi Cocom - great all-inclusive club if you're looking for a beach, a pool, and some quiet time. Was just at Paradise Beach. not a bad place but too windy to really stay on the beach for too long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, Twincessmom72 said:

Out of the 3 ports, which would you visit ruins at and which would you go to the beach? Never been to any of these ports and going in January of 2022.

thank you in advance!! 

Welcome to the message boards!

For ruins Costa Maya is your best bet.   From Cozumel the ruins require a long ferry ride across a stretch of water that is known to be rough plus a bus ride.  The best ruins are on the same side of the channel as Costa Maya so only a bus ride, no ferry.

For beach I'd look for a private beach offering in Cozumel.  There are a couple popular ones such as Nachi Cocom or Mr. Sanchos among others.    Some are better for kids, some can get busy if a lot of ships are in port, some include drinks and food, etc. so do a little research to find one that meets your needs.

In Belize i'd look at a shore excursion through the cruise line.   Since this is a tender stop it's not the best destination to do your own thing or to simply get off the tender and wander around. 

5 hours ago, Twincessmom72 said:

Out of the 3 ports, which would you visit ruins at and which would you go to the beach? Never been to any of these ports and going in January of 2022.

thank you in advance!! 

In Costa Maya we go to Nohoch Kay, great beach, very chill. Some of the freshest ceviche and fabulous shrimp too! You can hang out on the beautiful beach or rent a sailboat.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d7827188-Reviews-Nohoch_Kay_Beach_Club-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html