Adventure .... what is the story???

I am a brand new newbie to Royal Caribbean and excited about giving it a try. Looking at cruise on Adventure next year but I am very confused about this ship. First, it looks as though it is being refurbished mid-Oct to mid-Nov 2016 but I can not find any details. What will be added and/or changed? Why does it have so few specialty dining venues, especially compared to other ships in her class? Just seems odd. Any other thoughts about this ship? Any help would be appreciated. It is either this or Liberty, but I love the itinerery on Adventure. Thanks!

I'm sure you will get more details from others here, but I believe they will add flow rider, chops and Mexican specialty restaurants, a few new cabins and possibly an overall cabin refresh? Regardless, I love that ship and as you mentioned, the itineraries are great! Airfare will be a bit more to San juan vs. Galveston, but for my money Adventure wins hands down. I much prefer the southern routes to the western routes!

Adventure has always been a bit of an outlier from the rest of the ships in her class. I don't know if that is b/c of the home port or what...but she has never gotten the high profile bells and whistles. The last time I sailed on her the only specialty restaurant she had was Portofinos while most of the other ships had gotten rid of long before.

Maybe she will get some more upgrades during her next refurb.

I actually think Adventure is a great deal. While airfare is slightly higher than CONUS, the room rates on Adventure are less. If you into the island-hopper itineraries, she is a great deal.

She's a great ship. Big, but not too big. I will be on Adventure for Hristmas 2017. Got an awesome deal on an a Owners Suite before RCI caught their price glitch !

What will be added and/or changed? 

Royal Caribbean has not released any details surrounding the changes coming (yet).

Why does it have so few specialty dining venues, especially compared to other ships in her class? 

Her sister ships have had the kind of refurbishment Adventure is getting this fall.  Following her refurbishment, she should be much closer in terms of onboard amenities to her sister ships.

Adventure has always been a bit of an outlier from the rest of the ships in her class. I don't know if that is b/c of the home port or what...but she has never gotten the high profile bells and whistles. The last time I sailed on her the only specialty restaurant she had was Portofinos while most of the other ships had gotten rid of long before.

Maybe she will get some more upgrades during her next refurb.

I actually think Adventure is a great deal. While airfare is slightly higher than CONUS, the room rates on Adventure are less. If you into the island-hopper itineraries, she is a great deal.

She's a great ship. Big, but not too big. I will be on Adventure for Hristmas 2017. Got an awesome deal on an a Owners Suite before RCI caught their price glitch !

Todd will be so proud!   

;)

Booked on her for Thanksgiving 2016 so hopefully the dry dock adds some goodies.

My understanding is no Chops on her at the moment but good likelihood of it being added in drydock ... Navigator (sister) and Liberty (half-sister) both seem to have gotten nice upgrades in drydock, fingers crossed they do something good for Adventure.

The core of the ship is basically the same as Navigator/Indy/Liberty/Freedom that we have sailed before but it would be nice to get some pleasant surprises to go along with the island hopping at Thanksgiving :)

I went on Adventure the last sailing out of Miami in April 2014, before she went to Europe for the summer and fall. I know there was a Chops then because I ate there with my brother. We sailed to St Marten, San Juan, and Haiti. I think they had the digital wayfinders, the large screen by the pool, but I don't believe there was a Flowrider yet.

eric reeves

From CC:

Heard this from the Hotel director on the Adventure the week of 3/19/2016 cruise during the meal with an officer on the last sea day (3/25).

The new restaurant will be Chops Grille. Currently Miami wants to locate it where Giovanni's is, however the ship management wants it on deck 5 where Jester's will be removed (4th floor inside cabins - 5th floor restaurant). This is still a fluid issue.

A flow rider will be added on deck 13 - still undecided what will happen to the space where incline skating is located when it is removed.

The Concierge Lounge will be put on the 14th floor, which is currently occupied the card room, which will be moved to the interior of deck 9, where the CL is currently located.

The jogging track will go behind the Sky Bar on deck 12 and overlooking the Solarium.

A deck 13 forward will be added which will be open space above deck 12, where new panorama cabins will be added ( floor to ceiling windows).

These will be the major changes, though new carpeting and refreshing rooms, especially mattresses, are expected as well.

Also, expect the Rock Wall to be pushed out so the entrance will be on the 13th floor, which will allow for a passage way between the CL and the DL behind the Rock Wall on deck 14.

This may not be entirely completed in dry dock and if so, will be done while the ship is cruising, similar to what is being done on the Navigator.

Have also heard that Izumi restaurants may be removed from all ships.

From CC:

Heard this from the Hotel director on the Adventure the week of 3/19/2016 cruise during the meal with an officer on the last sea day (3/25).

The new restaurant will be Chops Grille. Currently Miami wants to locate it where Giovanni's is, however the ship management wants it on deck 5 where Jester's will be removed (4th floor inside cabins - 5th floor restaurant). This is still a fluid issue.

A flow rider will be added on deck 13 - still undecided what will happen to the space where incline skating is located when it is removed.

The Concierge Lounge will be put on the 14th floor, which is currently occupied the card room, which will be moved to the interior of deck 9, where the CL is currently located.

The jogging track will go behind the Sky Bar on deck 12 and overlooking the Solarium.

A deck 13 forward will be added which will be open space above deck 12, where new panorama cabins will be added ( floor to ceiling windows).

These will be the major changes, though new carpeting and refreshing rooms, especially mattresses, are expected as well.

Also, expect the Rock Wall to be pushed out so the entrance will be on the 13th floor, which will allow for a passage way between the CL and the DL behind the Rock Wall on deck 14.

This may not be entirely completed in dry dock and if so, will be done while the ship is cruising, similar to what is being done on the Navigator.

Have also heard that Izumi restaurants may be removed from all ships.

Yikes !  Wonder why they would remove Izumis.  That's one of the FEW specialty restaurants that we go to !

I didn't see (deck plans) where there was ANY Concierge Lounge.  I saw a Diamond Lounge but not CL.  Glad they're adding one...or moving it up top.

I'm delighted to hear that they are putting those new rock-hard mattresses on !  April Fool's.... hopefully they have cancelled the contract for those and purchased different ones.

I doubt that Izumi will go especially with the recent addition of Izumi to go coming this July and the addition of the hibachi. However, I could see a rebranding or additional focus placed on the hibachi experience if it generates more revenue.