Earthquake in Puerto Rico

Well, I now have a different perspective of Puerto Rico considering those that were on the B2B that I just got off of were really a ... ummm.... handful (being nice ?).  To just give you a brief of what many witnessed, such as disrespecting RCCL staff, complaining just about everything just to score refund and/or obc, ridiculous lines at Guest Services on the last nite and asking for the gratuities to be refunded and the most upsetting thing I heard from several natives is that native Puerto Ricans do not need America's help to survive and while stating such in Spanish, some of them do not really think things out as MANY individuals on the ship understood what they said. Let's just say that I bit my tongue more than I really wanted to and just enjoyed the great B2B. These guys busted their butt keeping all passengers happy and entertained especially the comedian. He was hysterical!!

I'm freaking out I travel to PR on Thursday, we're taking a cruise that ships on Saturday, don't know what is going on over there.

The news say that the northern area wasn't affected, just hope they don't have another earthquake while I'm over there.

I wonder of Anthem will dock there tmrw. I have friends on that sailing that left NJ on Sunday. I am guessing they have had a rough sail as I believe that CocoCay was closed yesterday or Sunday due to rough seas?!(thought I read that posted somewhere)

And I am guessing that this 6.6 earthquake would cause some rough seas? Power out to the island but should be back later today they are saying.....

17 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I am guessing they have had a rough sail

Not really.  Following seas.  Quite pleasant.  

Yesterday was windy so some sea spray on the balcony glass on deck 6 but the ship handled it quite well.  Shows went on normally, no motion.

No tsunami warning issued.  Even it one was they have minimal impact on the open sea with depth.  They impact shallow water and coastal areas but are often a nearly imperceptible wave on the open ocean. 

A number of tourist land marks damaged or destroyed

Punta Ventana, was destroyed  - this is a rocky point with a hole/opening/window. Much like an arch. It totally collapsed.

Two other sites, Cueva Ventana and Ruinas del Faro, also suffered irreparable damage.

Cueva Ventana is also known as Window Cave.

I toured Window Cave just last week. I am not sure of the extent of the damage.

Attached is one photo taken of the cave window view.

DSCN6991.JPG

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Not really.  Following seas.  Quite pleasant.  

Yesterday was windy so some sea spray on the balcony glass on deck 6 but the ship handled it quite well.  Shows went on normally, no motion.

No tsunami warning issued.  Even it one was they have minimal impact on the open sea with depth.  They impact shallow water and coastal areas but are often a nearly imperceptible wave on the open ocean. 

Good to know..its their first cruise with Royal(I have raved about Royal so it may have had something to do with them booking this) or maybe they are just tired of hearing me talking about my cruises...:4_joy:

Either way, I am hoping they have a good cruise..11 days...tmrw they are in San Juan from 3pm to 11pm...kinda weird time but as long as weather/seas are good..then all good!

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Good to know..its their first cruise with Royal(I have raved about Royal so it may have had something to do with them booking this) or maybe they are just tired of hearing me talking about my cruises...:4_joy:

Either way, I am hoping they have a good cruise..11 days...tmrw they are in San Juan from 3pm to 11pm...kinda weird time but as long as weather/seas are good..then all good!

Great cruise so far.  Less cloud cover today, temps rising.  Shorts and tshirt on my balcony now.  

As the Captain said with each passing hour it's getting warmer and warmer so he knows he's going the right direction ? 

4 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

maybe...300,000 with no running water..people sleeping in the streets as they are afraid of aftershocks...not my idea of a nice Caribbean vacation spot right now..but maybe San Juan is business as usual.....I am guessing we will hear form @twangster at some point today and get a first hand view of what its like.

Good point ....

It's possible, since the earthquake was about as far away from San Juan as you can get (don't let the title of this post mislead you, the earthquake was NOT in San Juan),

the biggest issues are probably in the more rural areas, and closer to the epicenter (the Southern and SW corners of the island. 

We are cruising out of,San Juan the end of January , I called our motel yesterday, which is in the the lagoon area, about two blocks from the ocean, they said everything around them is fine. You have to feel for,the folks in San Juan with all the major weather issues the last few years. 

On Tuesday morning a 6.4 magnitude earthquake hit the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico causing extensive damage and sadly killing at least one person, it’s the strongest quake to hit the island in 102 years.

With the majority of the impact on the southern part of the island, cruise ships are still able to dock at San Juan including ships from Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean.

5 hours ago, Dan Curtis said:

We are cruising out of,San Juan the end of January , I called our motel yesterday, which is in the the lagoon area, about two blocks from the ocean, they said everything around them is fine.

The flight we are taking on the 24th runs Detroit>Orlando>San Juan daily. Out of curiosity, I checked yesterday's flight on flight tracker. It was running about 6 minutes late, but, in route to PR as usual.

2 hours ago, SPS said:

The flight we are taking on the 24th runs Detroit>Orlando>San Juan daily. Out of curiosity, I checked yesterday's flight on flight tracker. It was running about 6 minutes late, but, in route to PR as usual.

That's good news, I think we are on the same cruise, we fly out of cvg, that's the Cincinnati airport that's in Ky, to Atl to San Juan also arriving on the 24 th. Hope to see you on the Vision.