Civitavecchia embark & disembark times

MichelleB

Excited to be doing our first Med cruise on Explorer out of Civitavecchia in June 2020 and have a couple of questions about transportation and timing of getting to/from port. The ship docks at 5am and leaves at 5pm. 

Embarkation day - we'll be staying in Rome pre-cruise. Right now I have lodging booked in both Rome and Civitavecchia for the night before the cruise. I thought it might be easiest/best to stay in Rome the night before to avoid packing up for just one night (party of 9 - 4 adults and 5 kids) and taking the train to Civitavecchia in the morning and going straight to the ship.

Disembarkation day - how long can I stay on the ship? Our flight doesn't leave FCO (terminal 3) at 3:45pm - so not enough time to do much but I'd rather not spend half of the day at the airport waiting to get on a 10 hours flight. We're doing a private transfer to airport so ideally I'd like to stay on the ship until 11 or 11:30 which I know is too late. Trying to figure out if it's worth it pay extra to stay awhile or if we should just plan on spending a little extra time at the airport.

We had a small group of 4 adults.  We stayed in Civitavecchia the night befor tne cruise. I had arranged a private car for the transfer. Trains can be a bit overwhelming if you have never done them before. 

Others may have better information, but I think the latest you could stay on is 930 or 10. We boarded the ship around 10:50am in October,  so the ship was certainly cleared of all passengers well before that. 

Can you pre-purchase the Stay Awhile program on your cruise planner?

On our Independence sailing it did not appear on the cruise planner but was available to purchase on the ship for selected European Sailings.

From memory it allowed you to stay aboard and use the public areas until 3pm and if you purchased a drinks package you could also use it for non-alcoholic drinks through the day.

It's annoying if they only offer on the ship as this means you cannot know for certain that is an option for you. 

@FloatMe I agree that trains can be intimidating. We travelled around Italy via rail before and are staying near Termini so it should be pretty straightforward for us. 

@Kathleen were planning to use Stefano's Rome Cabs for transfer from port to FCO. I haven't used them before but they have great reviews. 

@F1guynz I do see the option in cruise planner. I think you can stay on board until 90 minutes prior to departure.

Has anyone done Stay Awhile? If so, did you feel like it was worthwhile? Any other thoughts on how to spend a few hours between cruise and flight with a group of 9 + luggage? 

I did Stay Awhile out of Venice and liked it, but I think for Venice at least there were only two disembarkation times for people doing Stay Awhile. You couldn’t just get off whenever you wanted like the program seemed to imply. 

ETA—double-checked and the options we were given were 1 and 3. I don’t remember seeing anything about this pre-cruise. We were told to pick a time a couple days before the end of the cruise.  

disembark will be smooth since just walk off ship without going thru customs.  last call was 9am for passengers to disembark.  port area is 1 hr distance from Rome so everyone has to find some form of transportation since the area isnt "city like" compared to other Europe ports like Barcelona having options to explore.  doing the train with such a large group PLUS all luggage might be a challenge.  you might want to look into transfer options which really are reasonably priced and that eliminates stress getting to train with everyone and all the luggage.  i always stay in Rome pre cruise a few nights then get a transfer to the port and back to Rome for a night stay before flying back.  disembark option would be to do a transfer option that has a tour attached so not camping out at the airport for eternity.  not much around the port area to explore where Rome gives you much more opportunities to explore and most transfer options provide storage for luggage too.

12 hours ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

i always stay in Rome pre cruise a few nights then get a transfer to the port and back to Rome for a night stay before flying back. 

Hi @SMOKEY0202.  This is exactly what my husband and I are doing this September.  I would rather not move hotels from Rome to Civitavecchia for the night before the cruise.  Can you tell me what transfer company you used for your trips to the port and back to Rome after the cruise? 

As far as transportation, Rome Cabs is very reliable and punctual.  Never a problem with them everytime i use them for port transfers.

In regards to hotels, Rome is overflowing with many options.  Remember flying into FCO,  there is some distance to city center.  If you stay near Termini station, centrally located within walking distance to many popular attractions and can utilize bus and trains.  Remember to read up on hotels on what amnenties are offered because can be different than in states like lack of AIR CONDITIONING or pools.  Many European hotels have amazing architecture and history which makes your stay that more rewarding.  Best Western offers some good options if want a brand name.  Hotel Diana is a quaint typical European hotel with rooftop restaurant that offers some great views of the city near Termini station.  Whatever option you choose for hotel it's going to be memorable.  Reality is it's a good 1 hr commute to the port from Rome.  Safe travels

On 1/5/2020 at 8:52 PM, Kathleen said:

@FloatMe what hotel/inn did you stay at in Citavechia? What car service? TIA

I will try this again, I posted an earlier response to no avail. We stayed at La casa sul Mare in Civitavecchia.  A very nice bed and breakfast. The owner was extremely nice and accommodating. They have at least 3 rooms maybe 4. All with air conditioning and hotel style accommodations.  They do have 1 room that does not have a private bath, FYI. 

We used aimlimorome. Adequate service. We used them for 4 adults from MCO to Civitavecchia in a Mercedes van, from Civitavecchia to Rome hotel after the cruise, again 4 adults Mercedes van. And finally, Rome Hotel to MCO after a few days in Rome, 2 adults Mercedes sedan.

In Rome after the cruise we stayed three nights at le meridien visconte rome (Marriott property, western style Hotel).

• 5 months later...

This thread has been very useful. We've traveled internationally a lot and have visited Rome before, but first time cruiser out of Civitavecchia. We're planning a few days in the city beforehand with maybe a short train trip somewhere, but I am mainly concerned about the return flight. If we self-assist with our own luggage, I am trying to determine  if we can make the 11:00am flight to Newark. If we can't make that flight in time, that means we can't make our connections in time to get home that night in Texas. A total of 17 nights is a stretch and I wouldn't mind one more day if it wasn't for our precious Java, our Boxer!

3 hours ago, Abracadebra said:

This thread has been very useful. We've traveled internationally a lot and have visited Rome before, but first time cruiser out of Civitavecchia. We're planning a few days in the city beforehand with maybe a short train trip somewhere, but I am mainly concerned about the return flight. If we self-assist with our own luggage, I am trying to determine  if we can make the 11:00am flight to Newark. If we can't make that flight in time, that means we can't make our connections in time to get home that night in Texas. A total of 17 nights is a stretch and I wouldn't mind one more day if it wasn't for our precious Java, our Boxer!

11 am flight might be a challenge   and a gamble , the security lines and even more problematic the  immigration in Rom airport 

27 minutes ago, Traveler said:

11 am flight might be a challenge   and a gamble , the security lines and even more problematic the  immigration in Rom airport 

I concur. You would have to get off ship early, uneventful trip from port to airport, and then deal with normal airport stuff. As a frequent visitor to Italy i can tell you there is a thing called "Italian Time", meaning they get things done when things get done, not a place I know for it's promptness or rushing, in my opinion of course.