Port Canaveral Disney excursion

Coach9

Just wondering if it is worth heading to the Disney or universal park during my stop at Port Canaveral.  I’ve been there multiple times, but I’m wondering if it’s worth the $115 for ticket and $37 for the transport.   Please let me know if anyone has done it.  Thanks.  

Have not done it but I did look into it last year for our cruise, and after looking at the times I decided that it was not worth it whatsoever!  I can not remember what time you have to meet your transport to go to the park, but what I do remember is that you have far less than 6 hours to be in the park.  That to me is not worth the cost of the ticket and transportation, if we had the chance to have at least 8-10 hours there I would have done it but it just was not worth the short time.  We cruise out of Port Canaveral often enough that one of these times we will just get there a few days early and spend the time there prior to getting on the ship that way we won't feel rushed. 

Depends on your hours. We were just there NYE. Our port hours were 7-7. Ship transportation got us there at 9:15(with bad NYE traffic) and we had to be back at the bus for 4:15. We did Disney Springs and resorts, which was a terrific day. Plenty of people did the parks and I didn’t hear any complaints. It’s up to you if a few rides or just walking around is worth it. 

4 hours ago, Harper said:

Depends on your hours. We were just there NYE. Our port hours were 7-7. Ship transportation got us there at 9:15(with bad NYE traffic) and we had to be back at the bus for 4:15. We did Disney Springs and resorts, which was a terrific day. Plenty of people did the parks and I didn’t hear any complaints. It’s up to you if a few rides or just walking around is worth it. 

Just curious...do you remember what you saw and in what order (and if you used Disney transportation or used Uber)? We have Disney springs and shopping excursion booked but also contemplating taking Disney transportation and visiting Disney Springs and resort hopping instead.

10 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Just curious...do you remember what you saw and in what order (and if you used Disney transportation or used Uber)? We have Disney springs and shopping excursion booked but also contemplating taking Disney transportation and visiting Disney Springs and resort hopping instead.

It may be different for you, we had the goal of seeing the Christmas decorations since I will never willingly travel to Disney around the holidays( and for finding sneakers for my daughter since I forgot to pack some).

We took the monorail from TTC to Polynesian Resort. We had breakfast at Ohana with a 9:50 reservation(we got there about 9:30 and wandered then went in early). Took Monorail to Grand Floridian to see the tree and gingerbread houses, then went back on the monorail to Contemporary. We were going to take the bus to Disney Springs from Contemporary but the times kept getting delayed so hopped in an uber for about $9. 

We got dropped off at the House of Blues end of Disney Springs and just wandered along. Stopped at World of Coke to check things out(polar bear was at lunch) and had a drink at the rooftop bar. Stopped for a few snacks at the carts along the way. Checked out a the few different Disney stores and made our way to the Christmas tree trail. Hit up some more stores and wandered back. We still had about 90 mins before having to be on the bus, so took an Uber to the Poly for about $10(this was a mistake, should've just gone back to TTC as buses were there waiting). Grabbed one last snack and a few more photos, then did the monorail back to the TTC(Mistake 2). The monorail resort loop was extremely slow that day, stopped 5-10 mins at each place. We got there around 4:25 which was fine in reality but I was stressing.

I was worried we wouldn't see stop much or would be stressed but we had more than enough time for what we wanted. It was a great day and I would do it again next time if in the port for the same hours(Our Oasis stop is 1-7 so we're staying on the ship).

5 hours ago, Harper said:

It may be different for you, we had the goal of seeing the Christmas decorations since I will never willingly travel to Disney around the holidays( and for finding sneakers for my daughter since I forgot to pack some).

We took the monorail from TTC to Polynesian Resort. We had breakfast at Ohana with a 9:50 reservation(we got there about 9:30 and wandered then went in early). Took Monorail to Grand Floridian to see the tree and gingerbread houses, then went back on the monorail to Contemporary. We were going to take the bus to Disney Springs from Contemporary but the times kept getting delayed so hopped in an uber for about $9. 

We got dropped off at the House of Blues end of Disney Springs and just wandered along. Stopped at World of Coke to check things out(polar bear was at lunch) and had a drink at the rooftop bar. Stopped for a few snacks at the carts along the way. Checked out a the few different Disney stores and made our way to the Christmas tree trail. Hit up some more stores and wandered back. We still had about 90 mins before having to be on the bus, so took an Uber to the Poly for about $10(this was a mistake, should've just gone back to TTC as buses were there waiting). Grabbed one last snack and a few more photos, then did the monorail back to the TTC(Mistake 2). The monorail resort loop was extremely slow that day, stopped 5-10 mins at each place. We got there around 4:25 which was fine in reality but I was stressing.

I was worried we wouldn't see stop much or would be stressed but we had more than enough time for what we wanted. It was a great day and I would do it again next time if in the port for the same hours(Our Oasis stop is 1-7 so we're staying on the ship).

Thank you for describing!  This helps. Sounds like you had a nice day, aside from getting stuck on a slow monorail nearing the bus return time.  Good to know that the bus is waiting for you if you want to head back early.  Think I remember your posts from before you went on the trip (and you gave me advice back then too).

Yeah...we're going in March and so for usm it would be Disney Springs and straight resort and explore hopping.  Our timing is different too as we have 12pm-9pm but similar idea.  

Would you say there is enough to keep you busy between Disney Springs and viewing monorail resorts?  Thinking of doing this, but for now we have the Outlet and Disney Springs excursion booked (more straight forward as they take you to the two spots....although not as interested in outlet part and that will bore our kids..but DH doesn't see an issue).  Not sure if its much more hassle and stress using Disney Transportation and then moving around ourselves...especially as we don't know our ways around Disney very well.

22 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Thank you for describing!  This helps. Sounds like you had a nice day, aside from getting stuck on a slow monorail nearing the bus return time.  Good to know that the bus is waiting for you if you want to head back early.  Think I remember your posts from before you went on the trip (and you gave me advice back then too).

Yeah...we're going in March and so for usm it would be Disney Springs and straight resort and explore hopping.  Our timing is different too as we have 12pm-9pm but similar idea.  

Would you say there is enough to keep you busy between Disney Springs and viewing monorail resorts?  Thinking of doing this, but for now we have the Outlet and Disney Springs excursion booked (more straight forward as they take you to the two spots....although not as interested in outlet part and that will bore our kids..but DH doesn't see an issue).  Not sure if its much more hassle and stress using Disney Transportation and then moving around ourselves...especially as we don't know our ways around Disney very well.

I think for us the outlet tour was about $20 more per person. The only reason I considered it was for the Disney outlets, but upon reading heard it's hit or miss and long lines. We have plenty of outlet malls near us, so skipped it and went straight for Disney Springs. 

There's plenty of shopping to do in Disney Springs, but they aren't outlets. I'd say you have plenty to do especially if you do a longer meal. There's also a movie theater, bowling and plenty of places to stop and relax with a drink. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Going to a Disney World water park, however, is not a bad value.

That actually sounds like a fun afternoon.  We have been considering making the ship the destination on our Anthem cruise, except Perfect Day.  I might have to look into this when excursions are open for booking.

In addition to Disney Springs and the monorail resorts you can also hit the Boardwalk area.  You can rent a pedal car and take it around the lake.  The Boardwalk, Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin are in the area.  Plus a short walk past the Swan and across the street takes you to Disney's Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf.  They have 2 separate courses ther with 2 completely different styles.

I'd also venture a ride over to the Animal Kingdom lodge if you have time.  The lodge is very nice, you can go out back and see the animals in the Savannah.  You can also have a drink in the Victoria Falls Lounge.  I enjoy that place.

5 hours ago, Harper said:

I think for us the outlet tour was about $20 more per person. The only reason I considered it was for the Disney outlets, but upon reading heard it's hit or miss and long lines. We have plenty of outlet malls near us, so skipped it and went straight for Disney Springs. 

There's plenty of shopping to do in Disney Springs, but they aren't outlets. I'd say you have plenty to do especially if you do a longer meal. There's also a movie theater, bowling and plenty of places to stop and relax with a drink. 

Same for us....the Disney Transportation costs more (although we got it at a good deal...so if we cancel, want to make sure we want to cancel).  For us, it's a way to get a Disney Fix in an organized easy way, so it's more about DS than the outlet mall.  WIsh it was only DS bus.  

Thanks for your feedback and sharing your day.

13 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Same for us....the Disney Transportation costs more (although we got it at a good deal...so if we cancel, want to make sure we want to cancel).  For us, it's a way to get a Disney Fix in an organized easy way, so it's more about DS than the outlet mall.  WIsh it was only DS bus.  

Thanks for your feedback and sharing your day.

If you have no interest in the outlets, just do the Disney transport. Save the money and get an uber straight to Disney Springs, or monorail/walk to a resort and take a bus. I had never dealt with TTC before but it was super easy.

10 hours ago, Harper said:

If you have no interest in the outlets, just do the Disney transport. Save the money and get an uber straight to Disney Springs, or monorail/walk to a resort and take a bus. I had never dealt with TTC before but it was super easy.

Will discuss with DH again.  Think he's interested in the outlets.  I'm not a huge fan for outlet shopping an excursion and know our kids will be bored.  Will still consider the Disney transportation excursion and just see how comfortable we are getting around Disney ourselves and to return to the TTC on time.  Would it be overwhelming if we don't know Disney at all?  I've looked at those transportation maps and they are a bit intimidating and scary.

12 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Would it be overwhelming if we don't know Disney at all?  I've looked at those transportation maps and they are a bit intimidating and scary.

Shouldn't be too overwhelming if you are staying concentrated in only a few areas such as just doing Disney Springs area and also the TTC/monorail loop.  If you get stressed about it taking too long for a bus to show up, then Uber/Lyft is very prevalent and easy to get around in the Disney area.  Buses should run every 20 minutes. 

There's tons to explore for free without access to Disney.  You can ride the monorail loop to Epcot which whizzes through the park and also do monorail resorts and stop at all of them and walk around and check out the decor.  There are boats to Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge which you can walk around and explore.  I would think the kids would have fun with the monorail and the boat transportation alone.  You can research each of the resorts and see what the unique features are and check them out.  I know there's a geyser at Wilderness Lodge that goes off every hour.  

Disney Springs has a lot to see.  You can pop into some restaurants and check out the decor such as TRex.  There's a kids play area there and you aren't required to eat there to play.  There's the Lego store which is a hit with kids.  There's a CocaCola store where you can meet the Coke polar bear and there's a rooftop bar.

If you have any questions or want to be pointed in a particular direction feel free to ask.  I'm sure there are plenty of Disney fans here who can help.  I'm too cheap to regularly do the Disney parks (despite living in Florida my whole life) so I know how to entertain and explore without giving them my money really well ?

13 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Will discuss with DH again.  Think he's interested in the outlets.  I'm not a huge fan for outlet shopping an excursion and know our kids will be bored.  Will still consider the Disney transportation excursion and just see how comfortable we are getting around Disney ourselves and to return to the TTC on time.  Would it be overwhelming if we don't know Disney at all?  I've looked at those transportation maps and they are a bit intimidating and scary.

It can seem intimidating but is rather easy to do.  From the TTC you can easily walk to the Polynesian.  From there you can walk to the Grand Floridian.  You'll need to take the Monorail to the Contemporary.  If you have any questions regarding how or where to get the shuttle buses just ask a cast member, they are usually very friendly and helpful.  Just allow plenty of time to travel back to the pickup point.  Disney buses run fairly regularly but can be inconsistent.  

@AshleyDillo and @WhiteSoxFan  thanks for the tips.  Just realized one thing....are taxi's readily available?  We are Canadian and so won't have internet access on this trip. (We have a Disney trip booked prior to our Mariner cruise in August and then will purchase data for the US).  If not, then uber may not work and we'd have to rely on the buses to get to Disney Springs and back.  Guessing that would take awhile.

48 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

Yes there are taxis.  Disney does provide free wifi on property but I do not know how well it will work outside some of the resort areas or at Disney Springs.  It also tends to be rather slow in my experience although I haven't been there in a year and it always seems to be improving.

That's great! Thank you.