The Key

Hello,

I was wondering if people thought The Key was beneficial at the Galveston, TX port?  I went on a 4 night cruise and had it, and did not find it useful at all for the 4 nights.  Now I'm going on a 7 night cruise and was wondering if anyone ported out of Galveston and had it?  What their thoughts were, etc.  I'll be on Liberty of the Seas later in the year going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica.

Thanks  so much!

It might depend on the ship. We sailed out of Galveston on Enchantment and we did not have it.  Not many activities on that ship that it would help with. As for boarding we saw the Key waiting area and they boarded a whopping 10 minutes before we did.  Probably on a smaller ship like EOS it doesn't do much.  We are sailing on Mariner in a few months and I went ahead and got it because it is a short three day cruise and there are more activities on Mariner we want to do. Only time will tell if it will be worth it. 

I've never purchased the Key as I never felt it was worth it.  I think the longer the cruise plus the more people in the cabin, the less value is actually in it .  The shows aren't packed on Liberty so seating isn't really an issue.  I find that a multi-device plan to be better savings.  Would you actually use the flowrider/rockwall for the 1 hour that it is open to Key members? The biggest question for you is to add up the cost of the Key to you and look at the benefits of what you'd actually use.  Only you can decide if it is really worth it.

2 hours ago, Clay Purvis said:

It might depend on the ship. We sailed out of Galveston on Enchantment and we did not have it.  Not many activities on that ship that it would help with. As for boarding we saw the Key waiting area and they boarded a whopping 10 minutes before we did.  Probably on a smaller ship like EOS it doesn't do much.  We are sailing on Mariner in a few months and I went ahead and got it because it is a short three day cruise and there are more activities on Mariner we want to do. Only time will tell if it will be worth it. 

Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate it.  I will say, if your ship is one doing the two days stop at Perfect Day I definitely don't recommend the key.  You'll be doing too much off the ship to get any use out of it.  I mean, don't get me wrong, the lunch was fantastic, so was the a la carte breakfast, but nothing the Windjammer couldn't meet my need with.

Our cruise on Navigator was  Perfect Day, Nassau, then Perfect Day.  There was no day at sea so to speak.  Because of this, all the 1 hour activities that the key was supposed to provide us were all at times we were off the ship.

If your price for the key is $19.99 per day like ours was then it could be worth it if you are needing internet, but there again, we didn't really use it at all.  But that's just my two cents.  Have a great time on the Mariner!!!

2 hours ago, melski94 said:

I've never purchased the Key as I never felt it was worth it.  I think the longer the cruise plus the more people in the cabin, the less value is actually in it .  The shows aren't packed on Liberty so seating isn't really an issue.  I find that a multi-device plan to be better savings.  Would you actually use the flowrider/rockwall for the 1 hour that it is open to Key members? The biggest question for you is to add up the cost of the Key to you and look at the benefits of what you'd actually use.  Only you can decide if it is really worth it.

I appreciate your insight.  This really helped make my decision.  I think we'll be doing without the key this trip.  Thanks again!