Packing List Suggestions

mrsjnt083

I did a search and didn’t find any, but does anyone have a good packing list? Things that you thought you’d need but didn’t, things you didn’t even think about but could have come in handy? I was watching a YouTube video and the person mentioned taking euro converter plugs so they can utilize all of the plugs in the room. A little over a year out from my first cruise and totally out of my element here. 

Here you go..  Pick and choose what you think you're going to need ? ON our first cruise, we totally overpacked lol.. now that we're 5 or 6 in, we've learned how to scale it back, and only take what we need ?

https://www.smartertravel.com/cruise-packing-list-what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

Welcome to the boards!

This is the packing list I use that I put together for our last cruise. I print it out and check off everything as it goes into a suitcase. I use the space around the clothes section to make notes about which specific tops, shorts, etc. I want to bring, and I make the kids' clothing list on the back. Hubby is responsible for his own clothes/toiletries. I'm going to tweak a few things that we wound up not using or taking at all for our next cruise:

• reusable straws- some people love them over the paper straws, we found them to be a burden and were fine with what the ship provided,
  • glow sticks for the kids - they thought they would be fun to have for a parade, we never used them,
  • liquid hand soap - we didn't bring, we're fine with bar soap for hand washing in the cabin. I saw this on a video and added it at the last second, but I don't think it's necessary, 
  • shoes - pare down the list accordingly. Typically, my tennis shoes, flip flops, one pair of heels, and one pair of flats are all I take. We knew the beach we were going to was rocky so we added water shoes. Also, DH and I used to be competitive ballroom dancers, and we bring our competition shoes if we're planning on doing a lot of dancing. Most people won't bring a specific pair for this. ?

One thing that's not on the list because they stay in the suitcases is a pop up hamper. I LOVE having this on trips with the kids. 

We have a USB charger that lets you plug in multiple regular plugs and usb cords similar to this one. With two phones, two kindles, a camera, and a tablet, we felt we had plenty of plugs without needing a converter. Search cruise usb charger on amazon, and you will find several options. We haven't had any issues going through cruise security with this kind in our carry on (yet). 

image.png.7be7d817c794028fba1968659fd31041.png

Master Packing List.xlsx

On 1/4/2020 at 9:25 AM, mrsjnt083 said:

I did a search and didn’t find any, but does anyone have a good packing list? Things that you thought you’d need but didn’t, things you didn’t even think about but could have come in handy? I was watching a YouTube video and the person mentioned taking euro converter plugs so they can utilize all of the plugs in the room. A little over a year out from my first cruise and totally out of my element here. 

One thing I take that I don't see on packing lists is foreign currency (part of cash?).  Not that US dollars can't be used, but some excursions go to rural areas, so I try to plan ahead, e.g., euros for Europe or pesos for Mexico.  There are so many cruises at each destination that I hold onto the extra currency for a future trip.  But really, aside from medicine, BUG Spray, and clothing, we haven't found it necessary to overthink packing.  One trip I packed white socks, but not dark socks, and they weren't sold on the ship or in port.  So I always think clothing first.  Everyone seems to pack sunscreen but not something for flies and mosquitoes.  Have a great cruise!

If you are going to Europe you WILL need Euros.  You'll get a better exchange rate there than you will in the US.  Bring a credit card that has no foreign transaction fee, and check with your bank to see if they have ATM agreements with any banks where you are going, this way you can withdraw as you need without incurring a fee each time.

As for Caribbean cruises, US $ is accepted everywhere.  The French side of St. Martin may grumble, but they take them.  LOL  Locals can get a lot more with American dollars than they can with their local currency.  In Mexico, I'd be weary of going anywhere super local - not always safe. 

A few additional suggestions:

-20-40lb magnetic hooks. We used them for the first time on our last cruise and they are great...hang hats, wet bathing suits, backpack (empty), toiletry kit, etc. We even used them to hang some xmas lights (cruise was right before Christmas)!

-Towel clips for chairs on the deck

-if you’re a drinker, a good beer coozie and or insulated cup for cocktails

Thank yall for the tips. I didn't even think of the hooks and towel clips! Currently my first cruise is the one that goes to PR, Labadee, and St. Maarten. It isn't until March 2021, but I say it is never too early to find good deals on necessities. Any time I go on a trip, I pull out a big rubbermaid tote and throw stuff in there as I find a good price on it; things like sunscreen or whatever. 

13 hours ago, mrsjnt083 said:

Thank yall for the tips. I didn't even think of the hooks and towel clips! Currently my first cruise is the one that goes to PR, Labadee, and St. Maarten. It isn't until March 2021, but I say it is never too early to find good deals on necessities. Any time I go on a trip, I pull out a big rubbermaid tote and throw stuff in there as I find a good price on it; things like sunscreen or whatever. 

My husband and I did that for our first cruise on Allure last August. Such a good idea.

IMO, if you think you may not need it, but don't take it, you'll end up needing it. Better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it. That said, as you cruise more, you'll learn what you need/don't need/just need for the sailing.

2 hours ago, TotalF said:

Gotta ask, towel clips. What is that and what do you use it for onboard? 

They sort of resemble large clothes pins. They're good for fastening a pool towel to deck chairs so they don't ride up or fall down off the back of the chair when you sit.

They are also good for hanging wet bathing suits in the shower stall. Each shower has a retractable clothes line.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:25 AM, mrsjnt083 said:

things you didn’t even think about but could have come in handy

Especially when it comes to having an interior stateroom, get a pair of battery operated tea lights. ($1 for a two pack at Dollar Tree)

They make great night lights for the bathroom so you don't have to blind yourself for any middle of the night restroom trips. They last a surprisingly long time. We left one on all night, every night and it still lit well after an entire week.

RE the magnetic hooks. They do come in handy but deserve some caution.

They are super strong. If two of them come close to each other and they connect (1) if any part of your body gets in between, they will pinch and potentially create blood blisters or tear skin and (2) good luck getting them apart without pliers/vise grips or something similar.

The solution is obviously to use care  in handling to keep them separated from each other. Next, find some kind of small, plastic container just large enough to hold one hook. I found some small containers in a hobby store with screw tops. Plastic Easter eggs might work. That kind of thing.

The walls of the room are metal and these hooks are great for hanging all kinds of things like hats, light jackets and so on. I have a back pack book bag I use for carry on and for excursions etc. I placed a hook just above the room sofa and hung the pack from it while letting the bottom of the pack rest on the top of the sofa. Otherwise the weight of the bag would drag the hook down the wall. It made it really convenient to re-org as needed and helped keep the room neat.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 4:52 PM, Cruising_Woj said:

-20-40lb magnetic hooks. We used them for the first time on our last cruise and they are great...hang hats, wet bathing suits, backpack (empty), toiletry kit, etc. We even used them to hang some xmas lights (cruise was right before Christmas)!

Do you have any suggestions on specific types of hooks to buy? Any links ?

• 11 months later...

I havent seen anyone mention my own packing hack, so I am surprised.  Disposable plastic shower caps.  One shoe fits perfectly inside, so the soles (and whatever bacteria may be on them) are effectively prevented from coming into contact with clothing.  

18 hours ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

I havent seen anyone mention my own packing hack, so I am surprised.  Disposable plastic shower caps.  One shoe fits perfectly inside, so the soles (and whatever bacteria may be on them) are effectively prevented from coming into contact with clothing.  

I first heard of this one from Sheri from CruiseTipsTV and it's a great idea