How has Royal Caribbean handled the Explorer of the Seas norovirus incident?

Matt

I think did act appropriately. Too bad they can't be a little more direct as too why these incidents occur but hard to know who or blame the very passengers that may have brought it on board. It's a shame the media doesn't do more than just shame the ship that it occurred on and not how to prevent it from occurring in the first place or the fact that it's brought on board.

It seems to me they did all they could, from what I have read and heard. Cleaning the ship, giving out meds, trying to disinfect the boat. Avoiding a stop at the private island so they could get to a port to clean the ship. Not sure what else they could be expected to do.

Of  course the media will try to spin or show this which ever way makes a bigger story.

And we have to keep in mind, that in all likelyhood this was not the "ship's" fault at all. Probably lack of hygene from someone on the boat. Makes me so mad.

That being said, if someone is very careful, always washes their hands, uses sanitizer all the time etc, but touches something that someone who is sick has touched and not taken precaution's, then I am guessing there is no way to really avoid it right?! :angry:

I think the compensation is good, but would have liked to see them do a full refund vs 50%. It would have improved their PR position.

The media is beating them up pretty bad. Everyone omits the fact that 20 million people are infected every year in US. Not sure what the cruise # is in comparison, but suspect rather small to miniscule. if i were booked on Explorer next week i would not hesitate to go. Sailed Celebrity Mercury a couple of years ago 1st cruise after 4 consecutive outbreaks. Probably the cleanest ship i have been on. That string of outbreaks came from a huge regional outbreak in & around the ships port city of Charleston.

Too bad they can't be a little more direct as too why these incidents occur but hard to know who or blame the very passengers that may have brought it on board.

They know it's the guests but it's poor form to blame your customers so they have to suck it up.  I think most 3rd party media that aren't just out to sensationalize the story recognize it's a guest thing and in reality the cruise line can only do so much to prevent these sort of incidents.

Of  course the media will try to spin or show this which ever way makes a bigger story.

Absolutely, this is a huge ratings thing.  I hate covering this sort of news but I do see that traffic to the site doubles whenever bad stuff happens.  News sees same effect and that's why they harp on it.  

My wife works in public health and would tell you that infectious virus/disease outbreaks happen all over the world and are very hard to control. The situation isn't Royal Caribbean's fault, but unfortunately they take the blow and are forced to deal with the problem which ultimately affects their bottom line.

I personally think Royal Caribbean has handled the situation with care and a timely response. They really don't have to offer anyone anything, however Richard Fain said due to the situation Royal Caribbean isn't able to offer a world class vacation and so therefore they are cutting the cruise short and offering partial refunds.

I believe this was the right thing to do in these circumstances. And I believe they really do care about their guests and take personal responsibility for what happens to them, which has obviously been shown.

And despite all the negative press, RCL stock is up 3% on 4th quarter earnings report. A good job well done.

Take a bunch of people at the mall, lock the doors, and keep them in there for a week.  A similar number of people are going to get sick, only they'll call it "the flu" and just go home.

Do the same on a cruise ship, and (gasp!) it's NOROVIRUS!!! (gasp again) and it's all over the news for a week or more.

I think RCL did what they had to do in this bad situation.  There's not really a lot of options.

At least it's not a self-inflicted issue like mechanical problems due to lack of upkeep, etc...

There is no winner in this sitiuation at all, In my opinion they are doing a fine job. I feel bad for the guest and Royal Caribbean. Until they can  come up with a vaccination it will be something they will continusly have to deal with bad press and all. I know they have no control over Noro. Blame the bug not the cruise line.

The situation isn't Royal Caribbean's fault, but unfortunately they take the blow and are forced to deal with the problem which ultimately affects their bottom line.

I just hope there isn't another Norovirus incident for Royal Caribbean for a while.  I think the perception is when you have multiple outbreaks that the cruise line isn't doing all they can, which I agree with your wife that it's a silly notion since it's a very much a person-to-person condition.

• 1 month later...

Its a good reason for EVERYONE on the ship to wash your hands a lot when on board. I try not to use the rails on the stairs and my wife and I use the hand sanitizers on the ship also. I think people need to learn to cough and sneeze into a napkin, hankee or there sleeve and not spread germs also. Lets face it you go to the mall and you get the very same thing. My wife and I  love the Explorer.