Cork Fee on Wine Brought Aboard

Hi!

I would like to bring my own bottle of wine onto the ship.  There is nothing in the rules that I have found that states they will charge a corkage fee.  But I believe that sometimes they check your carry on and try to charge a $25 fee. Even with the screw tops. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Thanks!  Susan

The only time you are subject to the $25 corkage fee is if you bring the bottle to a venue (ie. MDR); and even then it is hit and miss (screw tops don't make a difference, despite the name "corkage" the fee has nothing to do with removing a cork).  I have not been charged the fee in the last 6-7 cruises, but YMMV.  You can always avoid the fee by pouring a glass in your room and then heading out.

22 hours ago, CruisySuzi said:

Hi!

I would like to bring my own bottle of wine onto the ship.  There is nothing in the rules that I have found that states they will charge a corkage fee.  But I believe that sometimes they check your carry on and try to charge a $25 fee. Even with the screw tops. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Thanks!  Susan

I agree with@TXcruzer .  You can take a glass of wine virtually anywhere (but no glass on pool deck), so if you bring your own bottle, just ask the Stateroom Attendant for glasses.  Take your wine to your restaurant as explained above.  Later, when you earn Diamond vouchers, you'll probably do something similar--get a drink at a nearby bar and take it to the restaurant to avoid the "delay" which can often occur in the MDR.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, TXcruzer said:

The only time you are subject to the $25 corkage fee is if you bring the bottle to a venue (ie. MDR); and even then it is hit and miss (screw tops don't make a difference, despite the name "corkage" the fee has nothing to do with removing a cork).  I have not been charged the fee in the last 6-7 cruises, but YMMV.  You can always avoid the fee by pouring a glass in your room and then heading out.

So . . . . it's OK if we pour our wine in our stateroom and bring it into the dining room?

Technically, if you bring the actual bottle anywhere on the ship other than your stateroom, you could be charged the corkage fee.  Once you pour it into a glass, no one knows where it came from.  However, in all the posts discussing corkage since Royal reinstated their corkage fee (1-2 years ago), almost everyone has reported never being charged.

21 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I agree with@TXcruzer .  You can take a glass of wine virtually anywhere (but no glass on pool deck), so if you bring your own bottle, just ask the Stateroom Attendant for glasses.  Take your wine to your restaurant as explained above.  Later, when you earn Diamond vouchers, you'll probably do something similar--get a drink at a nearby bar and take it to the restaurant to avoid the "delay" which can often occur in the MDR.

You can also ask bar tenders for wine glasses.  Our cabin steward wasn't good about replacing our glasses or giving us 4 when we asked for 4 she left 2.  No extra tip for her.

1 hour ago, Vlgg said:

You can also ask bar tenders for wine glasses.  Our cabin steward wasn't good about replacing our glasses or giving us 4 when we asked for 4 she left 2.  No extra tip for her.

Can we ask the cabin steward for a corkscrew, or should we bring one from home?

P.S. I'd not only not leave a tip, I'd leave a note for the cabin steward about such poor service!

Last January on the Allure and 2 weeks ago on the Indy and no fees. I was expecting them but nothing.

Our servers even chilled the white for us. We had a comp bottle of champagne and they put that one back into stock and got us an already chilled one in ice at the table.

Royal is the best at treating us passengers well.

I was charged the $15 corkage fee in the MDR on Liberty a few years ago one of the two bottles we brought to dinner.  I had no problem with paying since I knew the rule. Its still a bargain vs buying a bottle onboard and I get to pick the wine I like.  I would bring my glass from the room, but I often drink a second glass.