Royal Up-Again

Fairlynew

I am sorry to beat a dead horse, but I would like some advice.  DH and I are sailing on Oasis in March in a GS.  This is is his first O class sailing.  (I was with a friend in a GS on Harmony in August.)  I love the GS and the suite lounge, etc. so we will be very happy staying where we are, but I got the following offers today:

Star Loft- min $1100 pp-not tempting because more than I want to spend

Aqua Theater 2 BR-min $700 pp-very tempting because DH LOVES 80s music and I think the Aqua suite would be fun-also Star Class sounds awesome

Ultimate Panoramic Suite-min $700 pp-not tempting-no balcony

Aqua Theater 1 BR-min $400 pp-tempting for reasons above

Crown Loft Suite-min $300-tempting because I love the suite lounge and CK

To round out the list:

Owner's suite-$300 pp-not interested

Grand Suite-2 bedroom-$200 pp-might be worth it for the second bathroom, but I am worried about room location.

So-my thinking is throw a minimum, or slightly above, bid on both Aqua Theater suites and the Crown Loft suite.  I don't expect to win the bids because there are no suites available right now, BUT I am in a GS that others might want, so it seems worth a shot.  All of these bids are less than I could have upgraded up for when the suites were still showing online.  

My question:  am I missing any potential pitfalls?  is there any reason we might be unhappy with any of the rooms I may bid on?

Many thanks for everyone's advice!

I've sailed Oasis class in a GS and an L1 loft suite. 

Loft suites are truly unique and have a big Wow factor to them.  The close proximity to the CK and Suite lounge is big plus.  

For the 2 bedroom GS I wouldn't spend $400 for a second bathroom.  

Aquatheater suites have a distinct appeal but they are a long walk to the aft.  The 2BR is star class so that may be worth it for the perks of star class.  The 1BR isn't star class so I'm not sure I'd jump at that.

Congratulations !  Those sound like really good offers to me.

I would be cautious about bidding on the 1 BR ATS b/c aside from the 1 on deck 11, the rest of them have REALLY small balconies.  I don't think I would be happy with one on 12 or 14.  ...and of course, you have no control over which one they upgrade you to.  I don't think I'd take that chance.  The 2 BR ones though...absolutely.

Thank you for the advice.  I agree with everyone.  The Aqua theater suites, even the 1 bedroom is appealing because of the 80s music (for DH).  The long walk is actually an advantage to me-it gives me a chance to walk off all the food and beverage.  In fact, the disadvantage of the CLS is that it is on the 17th floor, so less stair climbing.  Star class is slightly less appealing this sailing than it would be on others, since I lucked out with the $18 beverage package, but it still sounds amazing.  I absolutely agree about the 2 bedroom GS-I was joking about that!

I am sailing on March 1 and got the email today.  I did log in yesterday to see if I had any offers and the message said try back when you are 30 days out from sailing.  Maybe that triggered something?

Just now, Fairlynew said:

I am sailing on March 1 and got the email today.  I did log in yesterday to see if I had any offers and the message said try back when you are 30 days out from sailing.  Maybe that triggered something?

I have tried the using the website multiple times while impatiently waiting for an email, nothing.  I am pretty sure that Royal Up hates me.  lol

37 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I have tried the using the website multiple times while impatiently waiting for an email, nothing.  I am pretty sure that Royal Up hates me.  lol

Don't feel bad.  I have NEVER EVER gotten the ability to bid on an upgrade by using the website.  If I don't get the email, I am NOT going to get an opportunity to upgrade.  Even if within 30 days of the sailing....nothing.  Ever.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Don't feel bad.  I have NEVER EVER gotten the ability to bid on an upgrade by using the website.  If I don't get the email, I am NOT going to get an opportunity to upgrade.  EVen if within 30 days of the sailing....nothing.  Ever.

This is exactly what happens to me!  The one and only time I was able to bid was for the Anthem GC.  And that was through the site, not through email.  All other sailings, not options.

@Fairlynew, it might be worth a bid though.  Not to get your hopes up or anything, but a friend and I have been tracking those suites on Oasis from mid-Feb to mid-March.  There were a few suites available on each sailing (Sky and Star) and then one day it just completely disappeared and said "sold out" for all of them.  We found that somewhat suspicious as it is unlikely that all remaining suites would have gone in one day on four sailings.  

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Fairlynew, it might be worth a bid though.  Not to get your hopes up or anything, but a friend and I have been tracking those suites on Oasis from mid-Feb to mid-March.  There were a few suites available on each sailing (Sky and Star) and then one day it just completely disappeared and said "sold out" for all of them.  We found that somewhat suspicious as it is unlikely that all remaining suites would have gone in one day on four sailings.  

Thanks-I was also tracking the other suites and it went from several available to none a few days ago.  As Ed used to say, "you can't win if you don't enter".  I figure I've got nothing to lose. 

Small update:  I ran the numbers with the savings on things that are included with Star Class and bid a little above minimum on the 2 bedroom Aqua Theater and minimum on the Star Loft.  I also bid minimum on the Crown Loft and the 1 bedroom Aqua Theater (DH will be so happy to hear all that 80s music that the long walk and small balcony will be worth the minimum bid).  I'll let you know if any of them are actually accepted.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

As promised, here is the update.  I have changed my bids a couple of times and ended up with a minimum bid on the Star Loft suite and slightly above minimum bid on the Aqua Theater 2 bedroom and the Crown Loft suite.  I checked the status about an hour ago and found that both the Star Loft and the Aqua Theater had expired, and the Crown Loft was pending.  I was unable to modify the pending bid however.  I tried because I was curious.  They were in the process of upgrading me!!!  We are now in a Crown Loft suite.  I am very excited.  I was thrilled to be in a GS, and now I am extra excited.  For those wondering, the minimum bid was $300 pp and I bid $400 pp, which registered in the lowest part of the weak scale.  This is my third RC sailing and my second Sky Class.  This will be my husband's second RC sailing, and he has never been on an Oasis class ship or in a suite.  He knows we are in a GS, but not about the upgrade.  It will be a nice surprise.  We are in 1742.  Can anyone tell me anything about it?  

9 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

As promised, here is the update.  I have changed my bids a couple of times and ended up with a minimum bid on the Star Loft suite and slightly above minimum bid on the Aqua Theater 2 bedroom and the Crown Loft suite.  I checked the status about an hour ago and found that both the Star Loft and the Aqua Theater had expired, and the Crown Loft was pending.  I was unable to modify the pending bid however.  I tried because I was curious.  They were in the process of upgrading me!!!  We are now in a Crown Loft suite.  I am very excited.  I was thrilled to be in a GS, and now I am extra excited.  For those wondering, the minimum bid was $300 pp and I bid $400 pp, which registered in the lowest part of the weak scale.  This is my third RC sailing and my second Sky Class.  This will be my husband's second RC sailing, and he has never been on an Oasis class ship or in a suite.  He knows we are in a GS, but not about the upgrade.  It will be a nice surprise.  We are in 1742.  Can anyone tell me anything about it?  

How do you check the status of your bid? I have a bid in on my Rhapsody sailing in April. 

10 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

How exciting!!!  On Oasis class ships, we started with the GS as well and then found our way to Deck 17.  You will absolutely love it!!!!!  There is not one bad thing I can think of with Deck 17 or 1742 other than the possible muster station (not sure if yours will be the MDR or the Aqua Theater).  IMO, the Aqua Theater is the worst location ever for the muster drill!  The other downside is there is not going back from this you know? ? Congrats on the upgrade!

Our muster station is G1-the Aqua Theater.  At least it's March, not August!  Hopefully, it will not be too hot or too rainy!  On the other hand, at least there should be seating.  We had muster on the promenade on Harmony in August, and it was a crowded mess!  Wall to wall people-very chaotic.  

There is one other downside-I used the stairs on Harmony to justify all that I ate!  With the lounge right next door, not sure what I will do!  

I'm a first time cruiser and am in a Junior Suite on the Oasis April 5th.  I received an email to "Royal Up" with options for a Grand Suite, 2 bed GS, Owner's Suite, Grand Loft Suite and Aquatheatre 1 bed!    I thought our room looked lovely when I booked it but it sounds like there are many benefits to moving up in class; I  put some time into selecting our location so I'm not sure I like the randomness of the upgrade too.   How far out do they accept/decide on the bids if I decide to make one?

15 hours ago, newcruiser77 said:

I'm a first time cruiser and am in a Junior Suite on the Oasis April 5th.  I received an email to "Royal Up" with options for a Grand Suite, 2 bed GS, Owner's Suite, Grand Loft Suite and Aquatheatre 1 bed!    I thought our room looked lovely when I booked it but it sounds like there are many benefits to moving up in class; I  put some time into selecting our location so I'm not sure I like the randomness of the upgrade too.   How far out do they accept/decide on the bids if I decide to make one?

I am sailing on March 1, so I got my acceptance with 17 days to go.  On this and other boards, I have seen people get accepted as early as 45 days out and as late as 24 hours out.  As far as I can tell, it is random.  Best of luck.

I was happy with what I had and to me, the randomness was sort of fun.  I enjoyed checking every now and then to see if anything had changed.  I used the theory that "you can't win if you don't enter".  As far as randomness of room location, I think most of the categories you mention are in good locations.  I am not sure how we will like having the handicapped bathrooms (we got an accessible suite-which I feel a little guilty about) , but I know we will enjoy the extra space in our suite.  We also have an elevator, which I find amusing because I positively hate elevators and go out of my way to take stairs whenever possible.  

4 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

Thank you. I found it...shows "Pending". Fingers crossed! 

EDIT: While it shows PENDING, we bid to upgrade to a balcony, and they show sold out, so im not getting my hopes up.  I suspect they havent gotten around to declining the bid. ?