Coco Cay Thrill water park a waste for a 6 year old?

Is the "Thrill water park" a waste for a 6 year old? Our son will still be 6 in May when we go to Coco Cay on Oasis. He'll be 7 in July. Its a bit expensive which is fine if he is going to get much out of it. There is a free kids water park part if I'm reading things right. Is he too big for that and would that be sufficient you think for 6 year old? What are your thoughts on all this? Thanks for any advice/direction.

I think it depends on your son. There are a lot of stairs to get to the slides - would climbing all day exhaust him? The wave pool is nice but I couldn't imagine spending a large portion of the day there. Not sure what your idea of expensive is, but personally, I wouldn't pay more than $70 as an adult. I didn't take a good look at the kids water area, but at a glance it did seem like there were kids of all ages. Between the kids water area, the pool and the beach, all of which are free, your son could have plenty to do without the water park.

Just remember that if your son goes into the water park, an adult must also go along with him and pay full price, even if the adult does not plan on doing any of the slides.

Personally, for a 6/7 year old, I think the free kids' water park would be plenty.  I wanted to go there and play in the water, myself !  I don't think he would be too old for that water park at ALL.  I think he would enjoy it and it would save you beaucoup bucks.  You could check out the big water park from afar (and for free) and decide if it was something you wanted to do another time.

I don't think it would be a waste.

There are still a number of water slides they can enjoy, and I bet he will love the Adventure Pool and wave pools.  The adventure pool has lilly pads, a rope swing and even a rock climbing wall all in the pool and designed for smaller kids.

We sailed on Navigator in September Live Blog, with my kids who were 6 and 9 at the time. We did not purchase water park tickets at the time. We did consider them, but chose not to because both kids weren't tall enough to do all of the slides. We told them that we couldn't do the whole water park because they weren't tall enough and they had plenty of fun in the free kids area. My oldest made friends there and did not complain one bit that she couldn't do the other stuff. Some of that is they didn't know what they were missing etc. They do know that eventually we will make it back there and by then they can do the whole park. Our 6 year old really liked the free area as well. Royal Caribbean has set a  48" height requirement for all the slides in the thrill park except for the splash speedway slides (42"). For the wave pool and adventure pool if he isnt 48" he must wear a life vest, so this must be taken into consideration so if your 6y/o is that tall and enjoys those, then by all means its probably worth it. If he isn't consider skipping the paid section and let him have free reign in the free area, he will still have plenty to do there, and may feel like more to do since there are no restrictions.

Just my 2 cents. Have a great cruise.

20 minutes ago, khtnola said:

@emsff02 Thanks for sharing this info. Do you happen to know how the height measurement happens? Do they measure once, measure for each slide, or use wristbands?

This I do not know the answer to. If it is like how they do it on the ship, or other water parks I have been to, they will measure at each slide.