St. Petersburg, Russia safety question

MaaMagushka

We are sailing aboard the Jewel of the Seas in June 2020, out of Copenhagen, on a 10 day cruise.  We will have a 2 day stop at St. Petersburg Russia.  We are booked for the 2 day excursion tour package. Some family and friends are quite nervous about our safety on this trip.  A friend, who sailed there YEARS AGO, said it was terrific but - their tour bus travelled at extreme rates of speed for safety sake. 1) we'd appreciate knowing the honest truth about visiting St. Petersburg and if you felt safe doing so?  2) No visa necessary because taking the ship sponsored tour, right? 3) Do they take credit cards in St. Petersburg? 4)Jewel of the Seas input?  Thank you!

@MaaMagushka, check out this live blog from June last year on Brilliance, which also stopped in St. Petersburg. I'm not sure if this was the exact same 2-day excursion package you are referring to, but @Callummck documented both days in St. Petersburg and didn't give any indication of feeling in danger or other concerns.

I went last July on the Serenade of the Seas. St. Petersburg is very safe. As you mentioned you either need to obtain your own Visa or go on a government sanctioned tours that do not require a visa (99% of our sailing did the tours!).

The port has had a very recent renovation and is very modern and safe. You are a short drive from the city but every tour bus I saw and went in was very modern.  I didn't notice any speeding or unsafe driving.  

There are plenty of shops at the port for souvenirs and most of the major sites will accept credit cards. I would check with your own bank for any possible fees or restrictions.  We took cash to avoid any potential problems or fees. 

Let me know if you have any other questions