Galveston ---> Hobby - can't find answer

GizaGaza

Sorry for more than likely redundant question, I'm sure it's been asked and answered but I couldn't find it via the search. 

We are first-timers and will be flying in/out of Hobby... therefore we are super stoked, and a wee bit anxious/nervous and really don't want to screw anything up.

The question, would a 1245 departure be to early?  We are planning on using Uber/Lyft.

From what we've gathered, if we do self-assist we should be fine. If we don't do self-assist ???  For those with experience, what would we be looking at worst case scenario (zero stars aligned, SNAFUs, etc) for regular disembarkation?

The unfortunate thing is if the 1245 won't work we would be able to leave until around 1800... the downside of living in the middle of nowhere.

TIA

8 minutes ago, GizaGaza said:

See, another thing we didn't think about ?

We're on the May 24-31 sailing. 

Thanks for the info thus far. Guess as long as the ship is on time about the latest you would be off is 1000?  And the non-self assist would be the real wild card?

Thanks again everyone.

You shouldn't have that problem in late May. Fog occurs when warm and cold air interact. It will be in the 70s at night, maybe even 80s at the end of the month.

I live in Houston. The traffic is ridiculous and Sunday morning traffic leaving Galveston can be awful. However, Hobby is the smaller of the two airports and is pretty easy to navigate, especially when being dropped off at departures. Move it quickly all morning and you should be fine.

If you're not doing self-assist, I wouldn't book before 3pm out of Hobby. Last year our boarding group was about 1/3 of the way through and we didn't get through Customs until noon. Unfortunately, if there are other ships in port, the Customs officers are split up and they probably won't have a full complement available for your cruise.  (Oh, and no fog issues on our return.)

What ship are you sailing? Customs in Galveston can be very slow, especially if you're on a larger ship like Liberty. On the other hand I've sailed Vision of the seas and made it through very quickly. 

I frequently go to Galveston on Sunday and never had a traffic problem on a Sunday morning.  

However they're doing extensive road construction on i45 between Texas City and NASA 1.

I'd plan on 1.5 hours to get off  the ship and 1.5 hours travel time just to be safe. Therefore,  12:45 is doable but it depends on the ship arriving on time.