Do minors need a passport

Starting to plan a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami, taking grandchildren for first time, they are four and seven. We as adults have passports, will birth certificate work, I know many people on here cruise with children, any info would be appreciated. Parents are also going as well and they have passports. Thanks in advance.

Some Caribbean ports are now requiring passports so you need to check.  But with that being said, you don't need to have a passport on closed loop cruises but it is highly recommended to have it in case of issues that may arise when outside the country.  We currently only have and use BC's for all my kids under 18.  

2 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Some Caribbean ports are now requiring passports so you need to check.  But with that being said, you don't need to have a passport on closed loop cruises but it is highly recommended to have it in case of issues that may arise when outside the country.  We currently only have and use BC's for all my kids under 18.  

Martinique is now requiring Passports.

Taking our grandson on his first cruise next month.  Although we COULD just use his BC, we opted to get him a passport.  I also have the Royal Caribbean form signed  by his mom and notarized as we are taking him alone.  Thinking I will also take his BC. Might be overkill but I am a worrier by nature.

If the parents are not joining you, you will need notarized forms granting you permission to travel with them. They're available on the Royal Caribbean page.

I personally will not let my children travel out of the country without a passport simply for the sake of getting home if something happens.