New to cruising

rstephen3955

1 hour ago, rstephen3955 said:

We have a cruise coming up in June to Nassau. Never been there does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Nassau is a challenge. Some people insist on staying on the ship because the vendors are annoying.  The first time we went, we did an Atlantis tour. Once we went to Junkanoo Beach and the last time, we bought a day pass to the British Colonial Hilton for a beach/resort day.  A good place to start is the RC excursions page and read the different choices to get some ideas. 

I too am a relatively new cruiser and have only been to Nassau once, I read many of the negative reviews and how many stay on the ship.  It all depends on your interest, seems most either go to Atlantis or to Junkanoo Beach or one of the other beaches/resorts near the port.  We chartered a taxi thru Cheryl's Bahamas Taxi for a three hour tour; I wanted to see three forts ( Fort Montagu, Fort Fincastle and Fort Charlotte) and the Queen's Staircase.  We only made it to Fort Montagu and the Queen's Staircase; was disappointed that we didn't get to the other two forts but all in all it was a good tour.  He took us to "The Cloisters", Atlantis, a dock where they cleaned conch and sold conch salad, a rum cake bakery, chocolate factory; wine tasting place and John Wattling's Distillery.  I could have done without the bakery, chocolate factory and wine tasting, he also offered to take us to a cigar place but i declined that one.

After our 3 hours I had him drop us off at the Pirates Museum and we went there it was interesting and fun, from there we walked back to the ship.  On the way there was an interesting church we did't linger there as it looked like they were having a service, stopped at the Pompey Slave Museum it was enlightening mostly stuff to read.and strolled back to the ship.  It was pretty hot that day so went back to the ship and didn't go thru the straw market.  I will say I didn't feel like I wasn't safe, just stay in the main tourist areas and be aware of your surrounding and travel using the buddy plan.

15 hours ago, rstephen3955 said:

We have a cruise coming up in June to Nassau. Never been there does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

In addition to walking around, we have tried snorkeling.  One tip:  don't pick the cheap trip that crams a large crowd together, try an excursion with a smaller number of guests. Equipment is provided.  I just skimmed the surface and enjoyed it. Have a great trip!

If its your first time..I would say don't book anything and just get off and explore. From the shops to restaurants to beaches etc there is lots to do within walking distance.

You will probably be back there on a cruise at some point there when you can then decide to stay on the ship or get off and do an excursion. I have been there about a dozen times..usually get off for a Cpl hours and wander around....

We went to Atlantis and enjoyed the aquarium and walking around there.  My wife didn't really enjoy the trip over to paradise island (saw a couple stray dogs she wanted to go adopt and bring back on the ship with us, she is a big animal lover) but other than that it wasn't bad.  Our plan this trip is to stay on the ship when in Nassau though.