Best buys in an Alaskan port

Bailey

1 hour ago, MelKaps said:

My favorite purchase was an ulu knife made in Alaska (don’t get made in China). It is great quality and I use it all the time when cooking.

My grandson collects knives and this would be a great addition to his collection.  Two questions, how did you get them back mail or carry back to ship?   Any port better for this purchase and the price of a good one?

55 minutes ago, DandA said:

My grandson collects knives and this would be a great addition to his collection.  Two questions, how did you get them back mail or carry back to ship?   Any port better for this purchase and the price of a good one?

We carried the knife back to the ship and had no issue. I am pretty sure it was in its own packaging. We bought ours in Ketchikan. If you sail out of Seattle on Royal Caribbean, they do not stop there (I was on Celebrity). But most of the Alaskan ports have the same souvenirs so you can find it in Juneau and Skagway.

1 hour ago, DandA said:

They sell them on some ships but they tend to be a generic made in China version.  I was surprised they allowed on the ship but they did.  

In Skagway I found better pricing compared to Juneau where everything seems to have a heavier tourist surcharge added to it.    

3 hours ago, MelKaps said:

We carried the knife back to the ship and had no issue. I am pretty sure it was in its own packaging. We bought ours in Ketchikan. If you sail out of Seattle on Royal Caribbean, they do not stop there (I was on Celebrity). But most of the Alaskan ports have the same souvenirs so you can find it in Juneau and Skagway.

Thanks, we are completely jumping ship and will be sailing on Princess after a land tour.  Our sailing is stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  I guess I'll talk to ship security so I don't have an issue bringing it back on the ship.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

They sell them on some ships but they tend to be a generic made in China version.  I was surprised they allowed on the ship but they did.  

In Skagway I found better pricing compared to Juneau where everything seems to have a heavier tourist surcharge added to it.    

Thanks, because it would be for his collection, "made in China" wouldn't be of interest.  Actually, I'd like to get a quality blade made from a local craftsman.  I will have some time pre-cruise, i may find something there but will certainly check out Skagway.  Any good place to check out in Skagway?  And nice to know that they are allowed on ships.  Don't have any experience with security confiscating items and returning at the end of a cruise.  

24 minutes ago, DandA said:

Thanks, because it would be for his collection, "made in China" wouldn't be of interest.  Actually, I'd like to get a quality blade made from a local craftsman.  I will have some time pre-cruise, i may find something there but will certainly check out Skagway.  Any good place to check out in Skagway?  And nice to know that they are allowed on ships.  Don't have any experience with security confiscating items and returning at the end of a cruise.  

Along the main street in Skagway there are a couple places that offer unique hand carved Ulus.  They cost more and like anything handmade they range in price.