Giovanni's table Vs Jamie's?

RCIfan1912

We have LOVED Jamie's on our last 2 Anthem cruises but on Oasis in May they have Giovanni's Table. I remember Portofino on Explorer back when she was in NJ. What are your thoughts on Giovanni's table over Jamie's? What is your preferences and what are the main differences? Is Giovanni's Table more like Portofino? Looking forward to trying Giovanni's Table as it will be different from Jamie's. Thanks for your thoughts. 

I am in the minority here but my whole family prefers Jamie’s over Giovanni’s. I am not quite sure what it is exactly that we like better, probably just the overall menu choices.  Also, I did not find the food quality to be that impressive. CK was way better. We’re going to give it another try on Oasis this March and I might change my mind, we’ll see.

I haven't had Jamie's on a ship, but they have a couple locations in Toronto, and I've eaten there. It's fine, but a little more casual than Giovanni's. Nothing wrong with the food in either, but I'd say Giovanni's is better because they're trying to make their food a little more upscale, whereas Jamie's is a little simpler, a little more accessible. Which is on brand for a Jamie Oliver property, but perhaps not great for something you're paying a bit extra for (unless you've got the dining package).

Jamie's menu on a ship is better than Giovanni's.  

Often you'll hear people rave about the filet at Giovanni's which is ironic because that isn't Italian.  I've had some disappointing Giovanni's filets on different ships so I don't order the filet there.

I did Giovannis, Chops and 150 CP twice each on Oasis this month.  Giovanni's was my favorite of those three but I still prefer the Jamie's menu better.  To me it seems like the pasta offerings at Jamie's appear better.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am in the minority here but my whole family prefers Jamie’s over Giovanni’s. I am not quite sure what it is exactly that we like better, probably just the overall menu choices.  Also, I did not find the food quality to be that impressive. 

Was going to say the same thing.  We have only eaten at each once: Giovanni's on Independence and Jamie's on Symphony so I can only compare what we ordered.  But our meal was actually better at Jamie's than Giovanni's.  The pasta was so yummy at Jamie's (truffle something), there were multiple appetizers that we could share, and we also had much better service at Jamie's .  It was so slow at Giovanni's that they sent a bottle of wine to our room the next day to apologize.

Again, I only have one experience at each to compare to, and neither were bad, but from those, Jamie's win's.

I really prefer Jamies and I'm from the UK. I feel Giovannis never has anything that special on the menu and that the other half always ends up having the fillet which you can have at chops.

overall for me Jamies has the planks which is great and better options.

Both restaurants have their strengths. Giovanni's tends to be more traditional Italian, while Jamie's is a more modern take on Italian fare.

In general, I'd prefer Jamie's for the menu options, but that's not a slight on Giovannis.

I have to say I like both but really impressed that Jaime’s sources from White Oak Pastures. I try to avoid factory farmed meats so was super excited to see meats from White Oak. 100% grass fed beef. The braised short ribs I had on Mariner were out of this world. One of the best meals I’ve had in a specialty restaurant. However it’s location on Mariner was horrible. Totally looked like an afterthought. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 4:26 PM, cruisellama said:

Didn't Jamie's land based restaurant operation go under?  Are the RCL based restaurants the last ones standing?  https://fortune.com/2019/05/21/jamie-oliver-restaurants/

A couple are still here in Toronto. However the company (KSF group) that owns the locations (along with other restaurants) filed for creditor protection this month.

They apparently owe $34 million to creditors, which seems insane. But I'm guessing that this might affect the Jamie's here. 

I have had both and I have to tell you that while Giovannis was good, Jamies was WAY better!  I have to say that there actually wasn't much of a comparison while the food at both were great, the food and Jamies was almost like comparing the food in the MDR to the food at CK- not a fair comparison at all I know it sounds crazy but until you have had both you can't understand.  I did not think that there would have been such a big difference until I saw the presentation with my own eyes and had that first bite, after that I was in love!

On 11/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, ericfromripp said:

hi, which ship did you have jaime's on? and which for giovanni's?

Please let me apologize for taking so long to reply! With COVID 19 hitting us so hard at work overtime has been absolutely crazy! That being said, we were on Oasis when we had Giovannis and on Anthem when we had Jamie’s. Here are a few photos of our meal! Hope they help! 

45F0C349-8BD5-4F55-9296-D0849125B684.jpeg

DE8A1796-7C8B-4AF8-B047-07DF0D725060.jpeg

D6B05D4E-089B-4F76-A89F-D766B16DD9E4.jpeg

1CC34A2B-6359-42CA-9D97-5B63A52A8999.jpeg

55FC90BE-FCDE-4BF2-9BA9-4B8516AC2505.jpeg