Self-disembarkation questions - Harmony

raahc

Good day everyone! 

We may try the express departure this time. Hubby will manage our two suitcases and I'll wheel out our two carry-ons. 

1. I read on this blog, we can leave at any time, but I thought there were time restrictions for this type of departure?

2. Are there any stairs we need to be aware of? Trying to figure out how difficult this might be.

3. If our shuttle pick up is 9:45 am, what’s a good time to aim for leaving the ship (in case of line-ups)

4. We’ve never waited in Port Canaveral terminal before.  Are there washrooms, seats, a/c and free WiFi (I can't remember if I asked this before)

Thanks!

Just did this last month.

1)I believe it starts around 7 and supposed to be off with that group, but you can make your way off at any point really

2)No stairs I remember..elevators on the ship and once in terminal I don't recall any..I believe they have long ramps to walk down(better than an escalator imho)

3)took us about 20 mins for the whole process but we were off before 8pm.....I would give it 45 mins or so to be safe..so probably would start just before 9am to make sure

4) waiting to board the ship?...washrooms, seats, AC..no free wifi.....as for getting off....your out on the curb waiting......

Just a general note about self disembarkation-it can be challenging to get an elevator that is NOT full to go down.  You may need to go UP to go DOWN to the level to leave.  Just be prepared for this or be prepared to take the stairs.  If you are only a few floors above where you need to be to disembark I would suggest you take the stairs.

I'm not sure of the answers to the questions so I'll leave that to more seasoned cruisers on here to help you.

We are gonna try to self disembark on Oasis from NJ in May also. We are planning already on how to do this. Its only my wife and I and our 6 year old son. We really are great at packing just what we need. We never over pack so it will be easier for us. I'm thinking one big suitcase, but maybe another small suitcase. We are going to buy those vacuum bags where we can really make our clothes really thin. I think we can save serious space and maybe do everything in one big suitcase. 

On 12/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, monctonguy said:

Just did this last month.

1)I believe it starts around 7 and supposed to be off with that group, but you can make your way off at any point really

2)No stairs I remember..elevators on the ship and once in terminal I don't recall any..I believe they have long ramps to walk down(better than an escalator imho)

3)took us about 20 mins for the whole process but we were off before 8pm.....I would give it 45 mins or so to be safe..so probably would start just before 9am to make sure

4) waiting to board the ship?...washrooms, seats, AC..no free wifi.....as for getting off....your out on the curb waiting......

1/  That's good to know, I thought there was a specific time frame we'd have to stick to

3/  Did you recall what deck the disembarkation was on?

4/ So when we embark, and we're waiting, there are seats/washrooms, etc. but when we disembark, we're literally out on the street (lol).  Just wondering if one of us needs to go the washroom again, while waiting for our shuttle?

On 12/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, CruisinUpinLife said:

Just a general note about self disembarkation-it can be challenging to get an elevator that is NOT full to go down.  You may need to go UP to go DOWN to the level to leave.  Just be prepared for this or be prepared to take the stairs.  If you are only a few floors above where you need to be to disembark I would suggest you take the stairs.

I'm not sure of the answers to the questions so I'll leave that to more seasoned cruisers on here to help you.

We're on a high deck, so we'll figure out the elevators.  Thank you!

On 12/30/2019 at 10:47 AM, Mike P said:

I've found that if you wait until the tail end of the self disembark timeframe there's no lines and you get off much quicker.  Everyone lines up before the start time creating a line line.

Thanks!

On 12/31/2019 at 2:13 PM, Flacruiser99 said:

I just did this in November, ezy pezy,. Like others have said plan to leave about 9am. No stairs you can take the ramp or an elevator. You will wait for shuttle outside.

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, raahc said:

3/  Did you recall what deck the disembarkation was on?

4/ So when we embark, and we're waiting, there are seats/washrooms, etc. but when we disembark, we're literally out on the street (lol).  Just wondering if one of us needs to go the washroom again, while waiting for our shuttle?

3. Disembarkation is on Deck 5

4. Pretty much, yes you are practically left out on the street. Once you make it through customs, they really don't let you loiter around in the building. I noticed when we were dropped off there were restrooms on the outside of the building near the porters. I don't recall if those same restrooms were accessible from the exit area of the building, but I believe they would be.

32 minutes ago, CruisinUpinLife said:

To further explain why the elevators can be a challenge....a lot of people are heading up to the WJ that final morning around the time you are attempting to go down to disembark.  If you ride up with them a couple of floors to the top, then you can ensure you will get down where you need to go.

For the OP;s disembarkation at 9am the ships elevators will not be a problem as the WJ will be closed.