Snorkeling

skemaj

My family and I would love to snorkel.  There are many options, but I would like to go to a reef and see as much coral and marine life as possible!  We will be stopping at CocoCay, San Juan, and St. Marten.  Some of the excursions look like they are just off the beach or not at a reef.  I don't want to be disappointed.  My dh and I have snorkeled before, but kids (aged 9 -16) haven't.  

On 12/29/2019 at 2:08 PM, skemaj said:

My family and I would love to snorkel.  There are many options, but I would like to go to a reef and see as much coral and marine life as possible!  We will be stopping at CocoCay, San Juan, and St. Marten.  Some of the excursions look like they are just off the beach or not at a reef.  I don't want to be disappointed.  My dh and I have snorkeled before, but kids (aged 9 -16) haven't.  

At Coco Cay, we have always snorkeled off the beach, but due to the hurricanes and reconstruction of the island, I would like to try their reef snorkel excursion.  It didn't seem expensive.  When I did snorkel at Chill Island in May and September, I saw many fish around the rocks that border the cove, and there were also jellyfish.  The coral was limited, which is why I'd suggest exploring an excursion that takes you to a natural reef.  You can rent gear at Coco Cay, but every snorkel excursion we've been on has provided equipment.  We normally pack our own.   

I can't comment on San Juan or St. Maarten.

Have a great cruise!

On St. Maarten, our favorite excursion is Capt. Bob at Soualiga Destinations (https://www.soualigadestinations.com/).  We've gone with Capt. Bob our last 3 times in St. Maarten.  He is a very reliable independent excursion and just a short walk from the cruise port.  You go to a couple of snorkeling sites, stop at an island that has lots of iguanas, stop near the airport to see a plane land close over your head, and beer, drinks, and lunch are provided.  The kids will really like the speedboats when they open it up and go fast -- be sure to sit up front!  Can't recommend him enough.